Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Living in town and not keeping pas yisroel
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 12:12 pm
we only eat pas yisrael bread but we do eat cheerios and other cereals. We live out of town and its hard to get bread, but we manage. Some of the big bread factories leave their ovens on all the time btw so making commercial bread pas yisrael is not that hard. However I find commercial bread inedible and don't really want my kids getting used to the taste so I rarely get it.

Its definitely a less serious issue then chalav yisrael.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 12:16 pm
glutenless wrote:
You may be right about the breads, but try the kosher brand pretzels, crackers or cereals. You will probably stop laughing pretty quickly Wink. I also can't imagine a life with no Stella doro cookies, there is no pas yisrael cookie that comes close.

And I agree with amother who said that for this topic in town would mean any place where pas yisrael is readily available.

We happen to not be makpid on PY but I've certainly tasted the kosher brands of pretzels and crackers and never had a problem with them. The issue IMO is a much more limited selection. I would probably just stick with non mezonot cereals if I were makpid, but we're not major cereal eaters anyway. I happen to like homemade cookies better than Stella Doro too, but I guess I'm weird Smile

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 12:19 pm
Like scrabble, I grew up eating Pas Yisrael only during Aseres Y'mei Teshuva.

Off-brand cheerios, whether Pas Yisrael or not, taste like plastic. DH once bought a box at the co-op and it had a wierd smell.

I buy Pas Yisrael bread because we like it, but for pretzels, cookies, and cereal we buy OU brands (or homemade!)

OP, you can buy Pas Yisrael to offer your inlaws when they visit.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 12:23 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
We happen to not be makpid on PY but I've certainly tasted the kosher brands of pretzels and crackers and never had a problem with them. The issue IMO is a much more limited selection. I would probably just stick with non mezonot cereals if I were makpid, but we're not major cereal eaters anyway. I happen to like homemade cookies better than Stella Doro too, but I guess I'm weird Smile

We really don't like the kosher brand pretzels and crackers, I guess there are others who don't mind. I would also imagine most people like homemade cookies best, but that's not really what we're comparing here. Like may sister always says when I say "I guess I'm weird"...."you're definitely weird, that's not a question" Wink

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 12:42 pm
Bitachon101 wrote:
In town is often terminology for Brooklyn lakewood monsey where Jewish products are readily available. And where chareidi Jews stick together in larger numbers.

Dina, what is appalling?

Right. As opposed to chicago and LA where jews just have to scrounge around to find liebers.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 12:48 pm
We only eat pas yisroel - but we do eat Cheerios. Cheerios aren't really baked, they are puffed - or some other method that doesn't require pas yisroel.

Also things that aren't available pas yisroel I may eat non pas yisroel - fore example flax seed wraps.

watergirl wrote:
Right. As opposed to chicago and LA where jews just have to scrounge around to find liebers.

Even Baltimore isn't as easy to get pas yisroel as Lakewood. If we decide to go with last minute notice my parents can't always find a store open that has pas yisroel bread. Even the large kosher grocery store may be out of specific buns that are pas yisroel but may still have pas palter versions in stock.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 3:06 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Correct, most Ashkenazim are not makpid on PY. I believe Sefardim are ...

At least some Sephardim are not, here's a page from the Sefardi Kashrut Association in England that certifies non PY bread as kosher.

http://sephardikashrut.org.uk/.....lter/

Last edited by imasoftov on Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Dina_B613

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 3:17 pm
Bitachon: It's appalling that her in-laws would treat her like that. We can call that "kosher-shaming." Someone is a "low-life" if they steal candy from babies, apply for welfare or tuition reductions fraudulently, hit their elderly parents, not because they eat the wrong type of pretzels. (IMHO, Thomas and lenders products are gross, but not because of their certification, but because I've had tastier cardboard). If pat palter were truly treif, then why would so many different reputable hechsherim give it certification? I can't stand the way people treat non-CY people like they're serving mamish treif and they may as well go milk a camel.

Perhaps you should suggest that your in-laws open an artisan bakery to save all the non-PY people from the evil stella d'oros, thomas bagels, oreos, and milano cookies.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 3:30 pm
watergirl wrote:

I'm hoping you're sarcastic because at least in Chicago there is no shortage of Liebers -- plenty of supply in a number of different stores.

We are (in Chicago) mostly makpid on PY (as well as CY) and have no problem finding it or with the quality of it.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 3:32 pm
in town means brooklyn ~ fuhgeddaboudit !!!

I think life varies & morphs depending on where you live & what your palate desires ...

mostly I prefer fresh baked rye bread with seeds - so the only place to get it is the bakery which is pas yisroel ... but sometimes you just have to have a loaf of processed white bread so that you can squish it & think of your childhood - if you ever wonder Wink Wink

I was more makpid till I noticed the schools were less makpid - now I just do what I do sans feeling anybody else's guilt

as for cholov yisroel - I was once makpid on that too - now I eat ice cream - 'nuf said Ice cream

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 5:13 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a bit confused embarrassed - is it not pas yisroel even though the bread has an ou on it? like thomas muffins? so bread can be kosher but not pas yisroel?

Correct. To be kosher, the ingredients and equipment must be kosher and challah taken where applicable. To have an (U) they must have a mashgiach from (U). However, the owner and workers don't have to be Jewish. To be PY, a Shomer Shabbos Jew must participate in the baking. This can be as minor a task as lighting the oven, and that can even be done remotely. So the owner and all the employees can be Roman Catholic and it will be PY because Reb Yeedl Frumman came in and lit the ovens (and took challah if it's the sort of thing that requires challah to be taken). Bishul Yisrael, same thing--a frum Jew has to have participated, usually by lighting the fire or switching on the electric cookers.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 5:14 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I'm hoping you're sarcastic because at least in Chicago there is no shortage of Liebers -- plenty of supply in a number of different stores.

We are (in Chicago) mostly makpid on PY (as well as CY) and have no problem finding it or with the quality of it.

I was being sarcastic. I'm actually originally from Chicago. This "in town" thing makes me crazy.
Eta - to be fair, at camp we used to call the no chicagoans out of towners. Ibwas technically also one, coming from one of the suburbs.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 5:20 pm
glutenless wrote:
We really don't like the kosher brand pretzels and crackers, I guess there are others who don't mind. I would also imagine most people like homemade cookies best, but that's not really what we're comparing here. Like may sister always says when I say "I guess I'm weird"...."you're definitely weird, that's not a question" Wink

Please use the correct terminology, which is "frum brand" "jewish brand" or "heimish brand". Any brand is kosher if it has a reliable hechsher, and calling frum brands "kosher brands" is insulting to those who use national brands, implying that they are not kosher. (Yes, I am quite aware that there are charedi people who in fact consider (U) to be tantamount to chazzer tref, but that is their problem and there is no need to denigrate those who follow other shittot.) Now since you said you don't like kosher brands, I assume that you yourself buy national brands, so don't insult yourself, either.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 5:25 pm
Bitachon101 wrote:
In town is often terminology for Brooklyn lakewood monsey where Jewish products are readily available. And where chareidi Jews stick together in larger numbers.

I get it now--OP means "in ghetto" not "in town". Why didn't she say so?

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 6:36 pm
zaq wrote:
Please use the correct terminology, which is "frum brand" "jewish brand" or "heimish brand". Any brand is kosher if it has a reliable hechsher, and calling frum brands "kosher brands" is insulting to those who use national brands, implying that they are not kosher. (Yes, I am quite aware that there are charedi people who in fact consider (U) to be tantamount to chazzer tref, but that is their problem and there is no need to denigrate those who follow other shittot.) Now since you said you don't like kosher brands, I assume that you yourself buy national brands, so don't insult yourself, either.

You're right as usual, Zaq. My husband also gets upset every time I say that, I do try and I'm doing much better, but sometimes I forget.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 6:59 pm
glutenless wrote:
You're right as usual, Zaq. My husband also gets upset every time I say that, I do try and I'm doing much better, but sometimes I forget.

Smile There's probably a support group for that...or a closed forum on imamother.

cbsp

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 8:41 pm
monseychick wrote:
The Rama, says that if the quality is better or its significantly more expensive, you can be mekil.

Also, another trick is, you can make it pas yisroel if it isn't derech achila yet.

For example, most ppl dont eat english muffins out of the pkg, so when you put it in toaster you are making it PY with final step.

I believe R Belsky holds like that

FWIW, while there are some products that are par baked and the consumer "bakes it off," this would NOT apply to Thomas' English muffins because they are 100% baked before packaging. (Quoting my DH, OU mashgiach)
Oh, and AFAIK, Thomas' English muffins are dairy (not Chalav Yisroel)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen