Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How early can I start cooking and freezing?

mamitaly

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:44 am
I am due end of december IY"H, so 5-6 more weeks to go, but my first was early so I want to be ready a little earlier.
I would like to start cooking food and freezing it so we have some meals ready in the first few weeks, especially for shabbat. I'd rather freeze food that is ready to heat and serve rather than food that requires cooking or further preparing.
I am thinking of making loaf cakes, muffins, meat dishes, hummus, pasta sauce (pesto, meat sauce).
My freezer is not very large, so I can only make a limited amount of things that do not take up too much space. I have had bad experience freezing soup/broth, as it takes ages to defrost, and gets all "tangled" in the zip-lock I freeze it in. Plus takes up a lot of space. I'm not thinking of making challa, we are planning on getting store bought challa, which we all like, when the baby arrives.

Do you think it is too early to start cooking or baking and freezing? How long will these kinds of food last, in particular the cake/muffins?

Any suggestion on other yummy flavorful but not too bulky food , in particular for shabbat, will be appreciated!

Thanks!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:48 am
I started cooking and freezing already and I am only due in feb! It is never too early! Besides, I am to exausted in my 9th month to cook in bulk.

agreer

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 12:53 pm
I started cooking for sukkos in July. Everything came out great. It's not too early.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 12:55 pm
Definitely not to early

rachel6543

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 1:48 pm
Now is not too early. Muffins, cakes...etc will last a few months just fine in the freezer, just make sure to wrap well. I baked a bunch of stuff in August/sept that I froze that we're still eating and it's all still good, no freezer burn issues at all. I'm actually in the process of cleaning out and using stuff in my freezer and in about another 2-4 weeks will do a bunch of cooking/baking to restock up my freezer again. It makes it so less stressful for Shabbos and after work when I can just pull stuff out of the freezer, esp since I work full time and with the early Shabbat I'm lucky to get home an hour before candle-lighting.

mamitaly

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 2:43 pm
Thanks everyone, I guess I'll get cooking then … Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen