Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Hebrew invitations

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 10:54 am
really - is there even a point ?

2 sides cost more monies & we're in america ...

has anybody ever even thought of this ... or do we all just follow blindly what the rest of the world does ...

mille

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:27 am
My invitation was one page, all English but with our names in Hebrew (And I think it said the "kol sasson..." phrase on top too in a design). I've seen this for several other wedding invites, and I think it's becoming quite popular in MO communities in the US instead of the two sides one fully English one fully Hebrew.

My thinking was, no one reads the Hebrew, and some people wouldn't even understand it if they tried because they aren't Hebrew speakers. I only ever look at the Hebrew side to see Hebrew names out of curiosity, but that's it. Might as well take that part and add it to the front with the English!

I think most people do it because "that's how it's always been done", and when you go to a cheapy printer on Brooklyn, that's the 'default'. At the frum place I went to for my invitations, I had to explain I wanted just one page, and printed only on one side. They asked if I was sure like a hundred times. lol.

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:47 am
that's our idea ... english with hebrew names - monogram & date - one side

yo'ma

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 12:24 pm
Well, we invited people who didn't know english. We got married in America. But that's us Wink .

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 1:01 pm
This is my job, what I do all day long. I've done it for years and still don't read or see the point of the Hebrew! The best compromise imo is hebrew passuk at top, there's 3 or 4 commonly used ones, then Hebrew names, Hebrew dates and if it's going to people who only speak Hebrew, put the essentials in ie times and venue. You can write Chatan and Kallah in Hebrew if you're doing the addresses on there. etc

Peanut2

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 1:53 pm
I can't imagine not having the Hebrew!

But I always assume everyone can read Hebrew and reads the Hebrew. I've lived in israel, have relatives in israel, and friends in Israel, too. And I like it that way! Love it, actually.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 2:06 pm
It's a rare invitation that I see that has both Hebrew and English on it. It's really not necessary. I'm not sure why some people insist on doing it.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 2:30 pm
mille wrote:

My thinking was, no one reads the Hebrew, and some people wouldn't even understand it if they tried because they aren't Hebrew speakers. I only ever look at the Hebrew side to see Hebrew names out of curiosity, but that's it. Might as well take that part and add it to the front with the English!

Me too! Wink

mille wrote:

I think most people do it because "that's how it's always been done", and when you go to a cheapy printer on Brooklyn, that's the 'default'. At the frum place I went to for my invitations, I had to explain I wanted just one page, and printed only on one side. They asked if I was sure like a hundred times. lol.

Right. I also have received some with just the Hebrew printed on them.

Kitten

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 2:49 pm
Since Hebrew-English is standard, it might be cheaper than having a special invitation made with English only. That said, I saw many Hebrew mixed with Yiddish (2 pages still, I think, but not Hebrew-Yiddish). So there maybe is the English equivalent that is more or less standard.

teddyb

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 2:53 pm
I have gotten a few 2 sided invitations (as in not a bigger paper folded in half, but 1 card which you flipped over.

as long as all are ok with no hebrew tho... why not?

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 3:44 pm
The two-sided is most common, and folks like me entertain themselves by looking for the inevitable egregious mistakes in Ivrit. (What can I say, I'm a masochist.) Otherwise, I'm convinced nobody reads the Hebrew side at all. Who can figure out what "krohsbehi kohntrei klohb, seenseenehttei" is, anyhow?

IIRC my sister's invite was one-sided, all English except for the chosson and kallah's names and the date in hebrew and English, just to show that it was a religious wedding. Otherwise people might think it's a secular wedding since it was in a hall and not a shul.

Greenie, do what makes sense to you. You never followed the crowd before, why start now?

chaos

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 4:25 pm
The Hebrew invitation always bothers me. It's not a translation of the English and whenever I see "habetulah" or "hakallah", it feels disrespectful. Is it really necessary to broadcast the kallah's status to all the guests on the invitation? The ketubah I understand, but the invitation? Personally, I don't care to know what the bride (or groom for that matter, but it's always the bride) did or didn't do before the wedding. Then there's always the incomprehensible transliteration of the US address...

We did hebrew names and date, but the invitation was all in English. I felt like that was enough Hebrew to convey that it was a religious wedding.

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 4:42 pm
I did something like this http://www.invitations123.com/.....D=138

One sided card, simple

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:02 am
We had a bigger card, folded in half, with one side english and one side hebrew. Half the family was in the US, half in Israel, so it made sense to do it that way. I think it turned out very nicely.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:08 am
IIRC we did three! French, Hebrew, English. Last minute we didn't do Italian.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:03 am
Ruchel wrote:
IIRC we did three! French, Hebrew, English. Last minute we didn't do Italian.

got one from a friend in strasbourg - french & hebrew [but at least the wedding was in israel] so not much was figured out except for sonny boy doing a translation via his phone

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 1:30 pm
so we found invitation cards - 100 a box @ $19.99

pretty good deal so long as someone else is paying for ink Tongue Out

stamps still add up as the post office doesn't give deals - but the kids will drop the local ones in mail boxes

Hatemywig

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 1:57 pm
Why not prepare a format, save it as a PDF and email it leaving mailing for the few people that don't have email or you feel it would be more respectful to snail mail to?

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 2:09 pm
that might be good enough for a few invitations - but not much more than that

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:27 pm
paperless post.com
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics