Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Quick - is this a good choice?

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:42 am
I will, I"yH, be shortly going to DD, who is in labor. While she is in the hospital, I will be sleeping at a neighbor's house, so her DH can sleep at home.

I do not know the neighbors. They are a large family.

I bought a pretty dried fruit platter as a gift, but when I mentioned it to DD yesterday, she said maybe food wasn't the right gift. (It's star K).

Do you think it is OK? If not, what might be better?

kalsee

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 6:13 am
I think it's nice, unless you think they don't eat the hechsher?

June

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 6:16 am
b'shaa tovah!

coming from a family who did/does a lot of hachnosas orchim for strangers, we always appreciated the chocolate/fruit platters most of all, as long as it had a hechsher we ate. (Star K, while not considered "heimish," is accepted by most people I think)

does your daughter think it's not appropriate because of the hechsher, or for some other reason? how about a nice set of hand towels? or a vase/dish/tray?

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 6:19 am
I thought star K was pretty widely accepted. (They are chassidish, don't know if that matters).

Does anyone know if that would be a problem?

Would Kedem sparkling grape juice be better?

If not food, what other ideas might work? (I don't have much time to shop). Fancy soaps for the bathroom?

ETA: thanks, June, those are good ideas.

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 6:51 am
imasinger wrote:
I thought star K was pretty widely accepted. (They are chassidish, don't know if that matters).

Does anyone know if that would be a problem?

Would Kedem sparkling grape juice be better?

If not food, what other ideas might work? (I don't have much time to shop). Fancy soaps for the bathroom?

ETA: thanks, June, those are good ideas.

What does your daughter think is a good idea?

Many chassidish will not eat Star K where I live. If your daughter lives in town and there are a lot of choices, people get pickier. You can't go wrong with a fruit basket. Our family doesn't use sparkling grape juice. We won't use it on Shabbos and we don't drink grape nice during the week. It is not so universally drank.

Soaps are pretty. Personally, I allergic to perfumed products, but anything at all is appreciated as a gift. What about a game for their kids?

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:06 am
I DK, last night, she said she would have to think on it, and she is a little busy right now.

I don't know ages and genders of kids.

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:10 am
In my gifts to give stash, I have a rotating condiment set with 3 little glass bowls, and a square baking/serving dish with tray. I got them as possible shower gifts, so maybe a little fancy for a bed for a few nights? Is it too much?

If not, which one, do you think?

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:37 am
Why are people assuming your hoasts are chassidish? Are they?

I love when people bring me dried fruit/nuts. Its expencive so I never buy it for myself.

singleagain

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 8:39 am
imasinger wrote:
In my gifts to give stash, I have a rotating condiment set with 3 little glass bowls, and a square baking/serving dish with tray. I got them as possible shower gifts, so maybe a little fancy for a bed for a few nights? Is it too much?

If not, which one, do you think?

if you have a stash, I would go with the serving dish with tray, especially if it's a possibility you'll be with them over shabbat, and then they'll be able to use it,

I know when we have guests, my mom likes to bring everything out on nice serving dishes, instead of the tin pans they were cooked in

(side note, one of our [my] favorite serving dishes, is a large bowl decorated with mistletoe, that "chrӏstmas bowl", which was given to my parents as a wedding present from a rabbi)

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 8:42 am
For many chassisim star-k is an issue. Kedem sounds fine, but a household trinket is prpbably safest.
Bshaah tova!!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 8:44 am
I would hope for FRUITS any hechsher would be ok... but again, down to earth euro here

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:12 am
Ruchel wrote:
I would hope for FRUITS any hechsher would be ok... but again, down to earth euro here

Not fruits, dried fruits- they almost always contain added ingredients, which is when a reliable hashgacha is useful.

Simple1

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:30 am
I have heard of star k being an issue for some people. That's a really nice gift. But if you don;t know the people a "heimish" hechsher might be safer. Then again, you can't guarantee a perfect gift. Like, if the platter has nuts, are they allergic? In the end, it's the thought that counts.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:58 am
the dried fruit sounds nice to me

not sure if star-k would be an issue for fruit - even dried fruit

I guess you'd have to find out which sounds like a laborious pain

I'm davening for your daughter - everything should go smoothly

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 10:06 am
It's amazing the type of things people obsess over, and when.
Your DD is imminent to give birth. It should go well IYH.
You are sleeping at the neighbor's house, so bring a freaking gift. Whatever suits you.
End of story.
Sorry to all who have relished this saucy debate.

Barbara

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 10:08 am
imasinger wrote:
I will, I"yH, be shortly going to DD, who is in labor. While she is in the hospital, I will be sleeping at a neighbor's house, so her DH can sleep at home.

I do not know the neighbors. They are a large family.

I bought a pretty dried fruit platter as a gift, but when I mentioned it to DD yesterday, she said maybe food wasn't the right gift. (It's star K).

Do you think it is OK? If not, what might be better?

B'shaa tova to your DD.

Stop worrying. It sounds like a lovely gift, and even if they don't use the hecksher, they can re-gift it. Go. Enjoy. I can't wait to hear about your new grandchild.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
It's amazing the type of things people obsess over, and when.
Your DD is imminent to give birth. It should go well IYH.
You are sleeping at the neighbor's house, so bring a freaking gift. Whatever suits you.
End of story.
Sorry to all who have relished this saucy debate.

Wow, amother, I think you need to relax a bit! Op asked for advice, and people are giving it- there is no debate going on! The last thing op wants to do is bring a (pricey!) gift that would possibly be thrown away/given away because her hosts don't eat that hashgocha. People are being helpful to her, not debating.

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 8:27 pm
Mazel tov! She had a girl! I had fun buying matching outfits for baby and 19 month old sister.

I went with the dish. Thanks to all for your input.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 8:49 pm
Mazal tov! Sisters are so special!
Cheers

youngishbear

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 8:57 pm
Mazel tov!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics