Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Born in USSR, TB vaccinated, do I need chest x-ray?

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:47 pm
I had an interview in an after-school program and was told that to work with kids in any licensed school or program, I would need dr. authorization. Since those who got the TB vaccine get a positive Mantoux reaction, they said I would have to get a chest x ray.

Is that true?

Any way to avoid it?

Are there drs who sign off on the form if you tell them you were born in USSR?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:03 pm
Do you have a copy of your vaccine records?

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:05 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Do you have a copy of your vaccine records?

No, I don't think we brought them.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:09 pm
From what I understand, there is a higher incidence of false positives in those who have previously been vaccinated, but it isn't a given. So you can always try and see what the reaction is. There are also blood tests for tb that supposedly don't give a false positive due to vaccination.

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:30 pm
I'm wondering why you are against taking that X-ray ?
Or did I not understand your post?

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:33 pm
IMHopinion wrote:
I'm wondering why you are against taking that X-ray ?
Or did I not understand your post?

X-rays are not good and should be avoided when possible.

Brooklyn is teeming with Soviet-born teachers, speech therapists, counselors, etc, so this must be a common issue.

luckysunshine

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 6:06 pm
I had to get that chest x-ray when I was younger. If I remember correctly school may have required it, or I could be misremembering exactly who was the one who required that chest x-ray. Later on, I remember my Dr. typing up some kind of a letter that said that I get a positive reaction due to the TB vaccine I received. He explained it, and no one questioned it further. Dr. knew that I initially had the chest x-ray done years ago, but either way maybe your Dr. would be able to type up such a letter?

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:06 pm
Yes, you will need a chest x-ray.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:21 pm
luckysunshine wrote:
I had to get that chest x-ray when I was younger. If I remember correctly school may have required it, or I could be misremembering exactly who was the one who required that chest x-ray. Later on, I remember my Dr. typing up some kind of a letter that said that I get a positive reaction due to the TB vaccine I received. He explained it, and no one questioned it further. Dr. knew that I initially had the chest x-ray done years ago, but either way maybe your Dr. would be able to type up such a letter?

Can I have the name of your doctor?

Barbara

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:22 pm
sequoia wrote:
I had an interview in an after-school program and was told that to work with kids in any licensed school or program, I would need dr. authorization. Since those who got the TB vaccine get a positive Mantoux reaction, they said I would have to get a chest x ray.

Is that true?

Any way to avoid it?

Are there drs who sign off on the form if you tell them you were born in USSR?

There's a blood test that should not give a false positive due to the vaccination. See if you can do that instead of the skin test.

egam

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 10:06 pm
This is a common issue for people born outside of US. I work in a hospital and required to have Mantuox every year. And even though I was vaccinated, they consider my reaction negative. It might be the case with you as well. Have you had the Mantoux yet? If I would test positive, I would have to get an X-Ray and would be exempt from yearly Mantoux yet.

farm

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:57 pm
Quantiferon gold is the blood test. A lot more $ than PPD so not routinely ordered. It is possible you have been exposed to TB and your positive PPD is due to that and not your BCG vaccine- I would get a chest X-ray to make sure you don't have latent TB if your PPD is positive. But maybe it will be negative and none of this will be an issue.

marina

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 12:19 am
I had to do it in college. I got a paper documenting a clear chest X-ray and from then I just carry that around with me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics