Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
SPINOFF: tuition, location, hashkafa
Previous  1  2  3

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:26 am
amother wrote:
I agree with Maya with regard to the first two points, but absolutely disagree with the third. My daughter is in a chasidish school with gym among other extracurricular activities. I pay slightly less than $3,000 annually, though that includes a 'kolel' discount. And this in Monsey.

It's encouraging to know that there's a Chassidish girls school in Monsey that includes physical education and other extracurricular activities - by that I assume you mean art and music etc. - in their program. I wonder which school that is, because I haven't heard of any Chassidish girls school here which does that.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:28 am
amother wrote:
A student loan for yeshiva tuition??? Crazy! There is minimal return on investment finances wise. Yes, a yeshiva education is important but way to make a person resent it when he has to dole out money EVERY month to pay off something from decades ago! and it hurts his chances of paying his children's tuition in full.
Who took out this loan- the school or his parents?

Accept my kid at what I can afford. No loans (that's where we draw the line) . When I have money IYH I will pay you bac- though donations, dinner tickets etc.

How about when his wife is the one doling out the money because he is learning in Kollel. It sure does hurt his family's budget including tuition. The school took out the loan in his name because his parents weren't paying.

momX4

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:35 am
Maya wrote:
It's encouraging to know that there's a Chassidish girls school in Monsey that includes physical education and other extracurricular activities - by that I assume you mean art and music etc. - in their program. I wonder which school that is, because I haven't heard of any Chassidish girls school here which does that.

She may be talking about Bais Rochel, which is a mix of chasidish and litvish girls. I know that they have gym, but they may have other activities as well.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:41 am
The lack of extracurricular in the chassidish/yeshivish world is so shocking to me. I went to a private non Jewish school where we had photography, woodworking, robotics, computers, art, sculpting, singing, instruments, gym with every sport covered, karate, baking, sewing, model un, etc. Everyone was sufficiently proficient in every area because everyone took those classes every year until 6th grade when you choose those to take more seriously. In addition, everyone went to extra curricular programs after school. I heard that it's better in Israel though.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:47 am
I was actually shocked, but not really surprised to see what they did in the old YSV boys building in Monsey. The converted the gym into a Shul ( thats what it looks like). My boys were very confused. They wanted to know where the chadishe boys that use the building now have gym. There is enough room for them to add to the structure if they wanted to.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:50 am
Maya wrote:

I went to Visnitz in Monsey up to 4th grade, then switched to a more litvish school.

We had:

*gym
*embroidery
*performances including dance, choir, and acting.
*color war
*GO activities and games

It's been a long time. There may have been more, I don't remember.

rachel91

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 10:57 am
Antwerp, beis yaakov, kindergarten.
So far 1200 € a year, meaning 100€ a month, paid in 300 € per 3 months.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:13 am
momX4 wrote:
She may be talking about Bais Rochel, which is a mix of chasidish and litvish girls. I know that they have gym, but they may have other activities as well.

Bobov in Monsey has gym too.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:14 am
Gym, embroidery, and a little bit of music is not considered extracurricular curriculum, not to mention the lack of facilities and competent instruction. The parents do not want it, so it's not there. That's fine. Don't pretend it exists.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
You want to tell me that the typical Chassidishe mother with 9 kids sending to a mosdos affiliated with a mosed is $36,000?! no in pupa monsey, not in belz monsey, not in any school I can think of in monsey so if you're talking about people with 1 or 2 kids thats one story, but it totally changes as more kids get added to the picture.....

Why are you so surprised? I'm paying slightly less than $18,000 annually for 5 kids (including transportation) in Monsey. This is after a 'kolel discount'. Granted, my kids are divided in 2 mosdos or my break may have been even larger. And this is before dinner money which they both expect from us every year. I'd assume that without a kolel discount your average baal habayis pays $36,000 for 9 kids.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
Why are you so surprised? I'm paying slightly less than $18,000 annually for 5 kids (including transportation) in Monsey. This is after a 'kolel discount'. Granted, my kids are divided in 2 mosdos or my break may have been even larger. And this is before dinner money which they both expect from us every year. I'd assume that without a kolel discount your average baal habayis pays $36,000 for 9 kids.
Because I know people paying much less in basically every chassidishe cheder and school in monsey

busymom

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:32 am
amother wrote:

I agree. No kollel discount for us, but I think the other amother was correct in saying that the average is $3000-$4,000 per kid for a chassidishe mosod in Monsey.

As far as extras, most girls' schools offer phys. ed, but other extra curricular - like art and music - is not provided. An annual performance (often for the public, by high school students) and other special programs offer a creative outlet instead, but definitely nothing compared to regular creative classes.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:41 am
rachel91 wrote:
Antwerp, beis yaakov, kindergarten.
So far 1200 € a year, meaning 100€ a month, paid in 300 € per 3 months.

is that subsidised by the government?

wifenmother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
Because I know people paying much less in basically every chassidishe cheder and school in monsey

You'll always find some people that pay less all over. It doesn't mean that this amount is the average paid in that cheder/school. I know people in Monsey paying $325+ transportation in Belz, $375 in Klausenberg, $250+ transporation in Bobov, $275+ transportation in Yeshuos Moshe Viznitz. These families aren't even 'financially comfortable'. Of course you'll find others paying less in these institutions, but these people aren't overpaying. I don't know where some posters took $2,400 annually per kid figures from.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 12:01 pm
wifenmother wrote:
You'll always find some people that pay less all over. It doesn't mean that this amount is the average paid in that cheder/school. I know people in Monsey paying $325+ transportation in Belz, $375 in Klausenberg, $250+ transporation in Bobov, $275+ transportation in Yeshuos Moshe Viznitz. These families aren't even 'financially comfortable'. Of course you'll find others paying less in these institutions, but these people aren't overpaying. I don't know where some posters took $2,400 annually per kid figures from.

I know people in Williamsburg who are paying $175-200 a month. That translates into $2,100-2,400 annually. I know that is the average for chedarim in Williamsburg that are associated with a Chassidus.

sky

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 12:57 pm
In some ways I don't mind that extra curricular activities aren't offered.

I can have my kids join a football or baseball club after school, Sunday or Friday. Drawing, music lessons etc and choose what I want to pay extra for rather then having my school make the decision for me.

If it means that school is more affordable and 1/2 the price of a school offering that then I'm okay with it.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
How about when his wife is the one doling out the money because he is learning in Kollel. It sure does hurt his family's budget including tuition. The school took out the loan in his name because his parents weren't paying.

How can they do that? Legall I mean.I had to sign the forms in college to get a loan. The school can't do it without the parents permission. And if parents agreed, barring other unforeseen issues (illness or death CV) THEY should be paying. It was their choice.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 12:38 am
Yerushalayim, charedi
3 year old, private gan: 570 shekel
1 year old, metapalet: 600 shekel
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics