Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Rocking baby to sleep not good for development?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 7:21 am
Hi,
Has anybody heard of this thing that rocking a baby is not good for the mental development.
I thought it was the age old method of putting babies to sleep.
I want to hear more about this.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 8:02 am
For newborns this is more of a need than a want, and it helps regulate their nervous systems. So, a good thing. Human rocking is definitely far more beneficial than swings are.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:16 am
I never heard of such a thing. I think all babies get rocked to sleep at some point. Now are we going to blame all the world's problems on that? I don't think so.

pause

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:17 am
HUH? shock

little_mage

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:23 am
I suspect what people are meaning when they say this is "if you always rock them to sleep, then the baby won't learn how to go to sleep without being rocked and you'll always have to be rocking them to sleep." While there is undoubtedly some truth to that statement, I still say go for it. If that's what the baby needs now, then that's what you do.

smss

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:28 am
in their mother's arms?? no way... being in a swing or car seat too much can be bad for development though. and yes, you might end up regretting it later, but if there's no other way your baby will fall asleep, well you do what you gotta do...

5*Mom

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
Hi,
Has anybody heard of this thing that rocking a baby is not good for the mental development.
I thought it was the age old method of putting babies to sleep.
I want to hear more about this.

It's the opposite, actually. Vestibular input, and sensory input in general, is not only beneficial but necessary for proper neurological development. Don't shake, obviously, and follow baby's cues as far as what is soothing, stimulating and overstimulating. What is your source for what you heard?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics