Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can 11 month old drink milk?

can 11 month old drink milk?
yes  
 63%  [ 14 ]
no - wait till 1 years old  
 36%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 22

wife2

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 1:21 am
I would like to start giving my baby milk at 11 months since he doesn't take formula and I want to stop nursing. My pediatrician said I should wait until 12 months and not give milk any earlier but I have heard people giving at 11 months. Do you think it is okay and it not, why can it be a problem?

wtvr

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 1:34 am
I've done it, with my pediatrician's ok. (Was nursing and pregnant and wanted to wean, but it didn't make sense to start formula)

salt

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 3:07 am
I don't think anything magical happens on the child's 1st birthday. 11 months is fairly close - all these ages are estimates anyway - not every single person's body develops at exactly the same rate anyway.
Could be that according to the Hebrew dates your child is already 1 year old Smile

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 3:51 am
salt wrote:
I don't think anything magical happens on the child's 1st birthday. 11 months is fairly close - all these ages are estimates anyway - not every single person's body develops at exactly the same rate anyway.
Could be that according to the Hebrew dates your child is already 1 year old Smile

Can't be, it's a leap year Wink

Sanguine

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 4:34 am
We'll all tell you it's OK but your pediatrician said NO. Either you trust your pediatrician or else maybe you should look for one you trust. Or are we going to take a poll on every decision you don't agree on? I'm looking for the poll about antibiotics. I vote YES take out his appendix... At least you should post your child's medical records so that we have all the info that your pediatrician has - Is your child underweight? Does your family have a tendency to allergies? Is your child eating all the major food groups now? Your pediatrician may tell a different mother that milk is OK at 11 months but has his reasons for telling you to wait.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:06 am
I think it depends more on what else the baby is eating than anything else.

Milk in a family with no history of allergies is fine at 11 months, but not as a replacement for breastmilk (or formula) which is supposed to be the baby's main form of nutrition till 1.

If the baby is eating a lot of solids with a variety of nutrients, then having the milk to be his liquid should be fine. But if he's still relying on you for most of his nutrition, milk just won't cut it.

(Same ped told a friend of mine who was pregnant that her 10.5 month old didn't need formula and could have yogurt and milk instead of formula...but this was a very good eater.)

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:10 am
Why not just nurse for another month?

But, its probably fine. You could also mix formula into his food, eg oatmeal.

nyer1

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 1:15 pm
im not a doctor, and I don't usually like to give advice that a doctor should, but I switched away from nursing at 11 months and my ped told me to skip formula for that one month and instead just introduce milk and that worked for us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics