Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Sourdough? Going Yeast Free.

myself

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 2:24 pm
A family member is yeast intolerant so I'd like to try to make my own sourdough so they can still have things like challa and yeast cake. I'm totally clueless, so would appreciate the how's when's and what's involved. Very Happy

Any yeast-free bread recipes also appreciated. As an added note; I'd prefer to use spelt flour.

Are there any other alternatives that I'm unaware of?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 2:40 pm
Sourdough is made from wild yeast cultures, so that won't work.

Make quick bread, using baking powder and baking soda to get it to rise. It will be mezanot instead of hamotzi, but if you're giving up yeast then that's what you have to do. On Shabbos you can make hamotzi on matzah, because that is yeast free.

For spelt recipes, just Google "gluten free spelt bread" and you'll get lots of links. Then look for the ones that don't call for yeast.

Good for you for being so kind and sensitive to your friend!

SorGold

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 2:41 pm
Spelt matzah?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 2:45 pm
Sourdough makes me sick, like many natural yeasts.

spring13

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 2:49 pm
It could be that the guest is sensitive to commercial yeast but doesn't have a problem with the natural type in sourdough bread. Have you asked the family member if sourdough is ok?

chani8

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 2:50 pm
For that family member, I think sourdough is out and it's best to offer matza, or like FF suggests, a quick bread with baking soda. You can make a nice bread with Spelt and baking soda. To get more fluff, use seltzer water in place of water in your recipes.

If your family member can't have yeast, I'd just double check if they can even eat spelt, because they may need to stick with oat based 'breads'.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 4:16 pm
This looks interesting:

http://www.europeancuisines.co.....ecipe

You might make the cuts three diameter cuts, instead of two diameter cuts.

Different national symbol.

Wine has yeast and so does beer; I don't know how that plays out.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 4:35 pm
My father z"l was highly allergic to commercial bakers' and brewers' yeast. Mom experimented with giving Dad different brands of sourdough bread and she found one he could handle, at least in small quantities. Sourdough is worth a try.

myself

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 4:49 pm
Thanks for all your responses!

I know she generally purchases spelt yeast free challa which has sourdough hence I'm assuming it's fine. I'd love recipes, instructions etc.

I'd also love the spelt bread recipe made using baking powder. Have any of you tried this yourself successfully?

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 4:54 pm
you can make irish soda bread. Google for a recipe. Its generally made with buttermilk but you can use soya milk and lemon juice instead.

here is a recipe. I googled pareve soda bread and came up with a bunch.

http://sephardictable.blogspot......html

and its as easy as making a cake.

SorGold

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 5:53 pm
Are you interested in making your own starter from wild yeast? It takes about 2 weeks (minimum 10 days)... I cultured a wheat starter and a gluten free starter from wild yeast. Ask if you have any questions.

myself

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 6:09 pm
SorGold wrote:
Are you interested in making your own starter from wild yeast? It takes about 2 weeks (minimum 10 days)... I cultured a wheat starter and a gluten free starter from wild yeast. Ask if you have any questions.

I'd love to! But I'm totally clueless. How do I begin? What do I need? Where can I obtain wild yeast?

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 7:20 pm
myself wrote:
I'd love to! But I'm totally clueless. How do I begin? What do I need? Where can I obtain wild yeast?

All you need is flour, water, a container, and patience. Wild yeast is in the environment, and on flour. You just create an environment for it to multiply, while keeping out bad bacteria. This is a helpful guide:

http://www.sourdoughhome.com/I.....arter

The basic recipe is mixing 50 grams of flour with 50 grams of water, letting it sit, covered, on the counter until it starts to bubble. Then, you pour out half the mixture and "feed" it with another 50 grams of flour and 50 grams of water. Wait for bubbles, repeat process. You do this each day for about a week, and as long as you're getting bubbles consistently, you hopefully have a strong starter.

The writer of the guide I linked says that bleached and non-organic flours often won't work, because they have been sterilized of naturally occurring yeasts. I also have had more success using a mixture of white, whole wheat and rye flours to get it started, and then "feed" it with just white flour.

Baking with a sourdough starter is also a much longer process than using commercial yeast. You typically have to start the bread at least 24 hours beforehand, and you have to handle it differently. It needs a really long rising time.

My husband experiments with sourdough bread a lot, and sometimes it turns out great, sometimes less so.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads