Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Norman's Yogurt - Job Well Done!!
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 6:50 pm
MSG is not remotely related to modified food starch. MSG, or monosodium glutamate, a sodium salt of glutamic acid, is a chemical that enhances the flavor of food but a. contains sodium which many people try to limit in their diets and b. in large quantities is responsible for "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome"--so named b/c Chinese food is loaded with it--that causes, among other things, massive headaches in susceptible people. I have never heard of yougurt containing MSG and can't imagine why anyone would put it in yogurt. I don't think it enhances the flavor of dairy products. It's used more in main-dish, meaty or meat-substitute foods.

Modified food starch is, as the name suggests, a starch that has been chemically changed in some way. It is used as a thickener.

I personally found Norman's to be rather gritty or grainy in texture and therefore unappealing. This was, however, many years ago and they may have improved the product since then.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 6:53 pm
The only Norman's product I like is the Greek lite yogurt. It really is delicious for the amount of calories/fats/sugars.

Their other products taste fake to me. I can taste the chemicals in them.

But I'm really happy with their new Greek lite yogurt (the cappucchino is my favorite flavor).

(For regular (not lite) Greek cholov yisroel yogurt, I find the Mehadrin far superior than the Norman's.)

granolamom

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 5:49 am
smss wrote:
check for "modified food starch", it's another name for MSG
the cappuccino flavor has caramel coloring.

MSG is monosodium glutamate, its a flavor enhancer and its found naturally as well as manufactered by labs chemically. its not the same thing as modified food starch and I dont think its the sort of thing you'd add to yogurt, they usually add it to boost a savory flavor (like bbq chips or soup mixes).

you might want to avoid modified food starch too, but its not the same thing

smss

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 7:39 am
ok, looked it up again & apparently modified food starch MAY contain MSG but doesn't necessarily.
http://www.truthinlabeling.org......html
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars