Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Lakewood-chassidish women
Previous  1  2

sourstix

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 3:49 pm
td also had modern chasidish types 25+ years ago. so bais rochel is like td today? or more like bais sura?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 4:46 pm
amother wrote:
Not a contradiction. They became a bit modern chassidish. In my times (some 30+ years ago!) TD was more like Bais Brocha today. Not so ultra chassidish, but very refined, aidel families.
Very many Raboonish, covered families sent there when it was a top school. Very aide families. today there are a lot of modern types that paid to get into the school since td was not doing so well financially.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 7:53 pm
amother wrote:
Very many Raboonish, covered families

Are they muslim?

Quote:
oday there are a lot of modern types that paid to get into the school since td was not doing so well financially.

What do you mean paid to get in? Bribes?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 8:06 pm
Covered means a spitz on the sheitel.

Not bribes, but when you make a big enough donation the people in charge are willing to look over many things they would usually make a deal about.

StripedFlower

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
Covered means a spitz on the sheitel.

Not bribes, but when you make a big enough donation the people in charge are willing to look over many things they would usually make a deal about.

That's so sad.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know what you know about Tomer Devora but it is not like Bais Rochel in Lakewood. Tomer Devora most mothers do not drive, shave, etc. It's changed over the years and become more modern but I know many women that went there that go covered, thick tights, only beiege, etc.

Oops, I was thinking of Tomer Devorah during my years of school. Not sure what it is like today but from what you are saying maybe Bnos Bina compares more to the old TD. In any case, Bais Rochel has many eidel and frum chassidish families. They haven't taken many Lakewood transplants (though I do know a few that did get in) mostly because their classes are already full of siblings. I like that they are not holier-than-thou like the girls from Bnos Bina and the way the TD girls were in my days.

summer0808

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:34 pm
As a Bais rochel parent I'll chime in. It's a combination of TD, Vien BP not Bais Sura. Though some families would fit into Bais Sura but it's the minority. A nice % of the mothers went to BY BP, TD, Bais Rochel Monsey.

Bnos Bina is more like Bais Brocha/Bnos Bina. The founders are like Bais Brocha. a large % of the families would fit into Bais Sura.

Just so you know being chasidish in Lkwd is not the same like in BP.

For ex. right now Rachmistrivka is considered the most chasidishe cheder but don't think for a minute that it compares to a real chasidishe cheder in BP, more like the middle of the road.

As far as driving, it is definitely not a chisaran. It's really normal. I do notice that there are a lot more young ones, meaning married less than 5 years not driving and so in the future it might change and be a 'symbol' of how chasidish you are.

Probably Belze schools will be different. But they are very isolated and I think that the 3 families that will send there that don't live in their neighborhood that will send there might get the chasidishkeit they want but feel very out of place.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:07 pm
In Monsey you can't drive Rachmistrivka Belz Square Viznitz

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:

Right, but years ago they took in families who drove. I can name some of them but won't on a public form. It's different today

groisamomma

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 1:06 am
summer0808 wrote:
As a Bais rochel parent I'll chime in. It's a combination of TD, Vien BP not Bais Sura. Though some families would fit into Bais Sura but it's the minority. A nice % of the mothers went to BY BP, TD, Bais Rochel Monsey.

Bnos Bina is more like Bais Brocha/Bnos Bina. The founders are like Bais Brocha. a large % of the families would fit into Bais Sura.

Just so you know being chasidish in Lkwd is not the same like in BP.

For ex. right now Rachmistrivka is considered the most chasidishe cheder but don't think for a minute that it compares to a real chasidishe cheder in BP, more like the middle of the road.

As far as driving, it is definitely not a chisaran. It's really normal. I do notice that there are a lot more young ones, meaning married less than 5 years not driving and so in the future it might change and be a 'symbol' of how chasidish you are.

Probably Belze schools will be different. But they are very isolated and I think that the 3 families that will send there that don't live in their neighborhood that will send there might get the chasidishkeit they want but feel very out of place.

Don't forget there's Skvere cheder that opened recently. I'm not sure of their parent body, but they may be more chassidish than Rachmistrivk.

I agree with the part about Rachmistrivk being very chassidish, but it doesn't compare to the level of chassidish-ness (is that a word?) of the chedarim in BP.

This is OT, but from what I hear about the chassidish chedarim in BP, you can't compare the way the mothers are treated. From what it sounds like, even the kids are dealt with differently. As a parent, I have found that every member of the administration is so respectful of the mothers and every concern is given time and attention. The rebbeim call within the first month of the year, and ask for the mother. They introduce themselves and talk a little about the child. I am impressed every year when the rebbe calls. They speak regular English to the mothers--except one rebbe from E"Y--and seem genuinely interested in establishing a connection with the parents. The menahel greets me every single time I arrive to drop off or pick up my son and he always updates me on how he's doing when I ask. He called to update dh and I after a few months that a certain social issue has changed and I know for a fact none of the chedarim in BP have a menahel that would show that much interest and reach out to the parents so thoroughly. Maybe because the cheder is newish (about 8 years), but I rarely, if ever, hear about corporal punishment in the cheder, very unlike the chassidish chedarim in BP. My son lights up every time he meets a past rebbe of his in shul on Shabbos and my dh always tells me how enthusiastically they greet and shmooze with ds. OP, if you can put your boys in Rachmistrivk (provided the shnitt matches yours) then you are very lucky.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 9:29 am
amother wrote:

I went to Viznitz in Monsey thru 4th grade, and my mother drove. They used to call her to see if she could drive the Rebetzin for school functions. I was not the only one whose mother drove but we were few.

I guess we didn't really fit in there well which is why I switched out....it still surprised me to hear that they have a "no driving" policy.

They still call my sister to do driving for them before one of their fundraising events...though she is getting sick of it, really.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 9:33 am
amother wrote:
I went to Viznitz in Monsey thru 4th grade, and my mother drove. They used to call her to see if she could drive the Rebetzin for school functions. I was not the only one whose mother drove but we were few.

I guess we didn't really fit in there well which is why I switched out....it still surprised me to hear that they have a "no driving" policy.

They still call my sister to do driving for them before one of their fundraising events...though she is getting sick of it, really.

They used to allow driving, but now no chassidishe school or cheder or school in monsey does. same goes for pupa, satmar, belz... many mothers drove but today they wouldnt accept new applicants with driving moms. it will happen in lakewood too (california -not so likely b/c the kehilla is no where near big enough)

amother

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 10:25 am
amother wrote:
They used to allow driving, but now no chassidishe school or cheder or school in monsey does. same goes for pupa, satmar, belz... many mothers drove but today they wouldnt accept new applicants with driving moms. it will happen in lakewood too (california -not so likely b/c the kehilla is no where near big enough)

So those people who attend chassidish schools will likely not send their own children to those schools, if the standards change and become more strict.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
So those people who attend chassidish schools will likely not send their own children to those schools, if the standards change and become more strict.
that or their children will just become more chunyukish or chassidish and not drive as the standard changes. I know someone who drove in monsey but as it became unaccepted she stopped not because of pressure her kids were already in school but because it was no longer accepted. there are many children whose mothers drive and the children do not. a lot of the los angeles chassidish community drives, but when their children grow up and move to ny, israel, london, wherever they don't drive. they grow up knowing that their parents are the exception rather than the rule. lakewood will be different, but probably many of the children will either grow up and not drive or choose to rather stay driving and send to less chassidishe mosdos

groisamomma

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 11:33 am
amother wrote:

Nope, can't see this happening in Bais Rochel. There are only two people on the faculty that do not drive (that I know of). All the other teachers and principals drive, including Limudei Kodesh teachers.

Bnos Bina is a whole other story. A handful of the English teachers drive, but very many mothers that send there do not. The school is all about stressing chassidish and proving to the world how chassidish you are (not so much into academics), so it totally makes sense. Not bashing, just saying.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 11:56 am
groisamomma wrote:
Nope, can't see this happening in Bais Rochel. There are only two people on the faculty that do not drive (that I know of). All the other teachers and principals drive, including Limudei Kodesh teachers.

Bnos Bina is a whole other story. A handful of the English teachers drive, but very many mothers that send there do not. The school is all about stressing chassidish and proving to the world how chassidish you are (not so much into academics), so it totally makes sense. Not bashing, just saying.

I can't imagine my friends who send to BR not driving.

I have two neighbors in Bnos Bina and neither drives.

So - I agree with you.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:36 pm
My dd went to Bnos Binah/Ateres Yisroel. Alot of mothers drive.

I have two friends who drive and send to Rachmistrivke

amother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:46 pm
Please explain what is the connection between driving and being chassidish.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 5:42 pm
No responses?

Is driving actually an issue of tznius?

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 6:12 pm
amother wrote:
No responses?

Is driving actually an issue of tznius?

There are several threads on the topic. Please go read through them. There are answers starting with ability to have easy access anywhere to was not common practice years ago to a way to control to positives and negatives and everything in between. It's been discussed in depth on this website, so you will be able to research it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating