Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Hospital Indemnity Policy- is it worth it?

amother

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 12:27 pm
We get medical insurance through DH's employer.

Open enrollment is this month and they changed a few things regarding the benefits available.

There is an voluntary Hospital Indemnity Policy that we can sign up for separately.

The regular insurance only covers 90% hospital expenses and there is a $750 copay for maternity hospital stay.

Is it worth it to sign up for the indemnity plan?

Can we actually get money for a hospital stay CH'V that we can use to pay the deductibles/copays?

If anyone can explain how this plan works, I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA

amother

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 12:33 pm
Each plan is a little different so you will have to find out the specifics of what they're offering. I use it for planned hospitalizations- childbirth- and it's very much worth it for me. If you aren't in that category and you don't have reason to believe you might be hospitalized it's less likely to be useful to you.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 12:34 pm
I have this.

I signed up so when I do give birth I get reimbursed $1000 for the hospital stay for me and $1000 for the baby (since its a family plan). This will offset the cost of taking off time for maternity leave.

I also get $25 reimbursement for any doctors visit up to 6 per year ($150 total)

They reimburse $150 for ER visits, etc

The premium is $75/month. I really only signed up because we are TTC so I know IYH it will be used soon, I plan to drop it after the birth.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 12:54 pm
OP Here.

Whatever we sign up for is for all of 2015.

I am BH expecting within the next few months.

We will be paying about $360 per year for the whole family. If we get at least to cover the copay it would really be beneficial.

http://www.allstatevoluntary.c.....2.pdf

If I understand correctly, I can get at least $1100 just for the first day in the hospital + $100 for another day which is standard after a birth.

Seems like a good deal to me, unless I might be wrong.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 2:01 pm
To make a claim for childbirth you usually have to pay in a minimum of ten months before. In that case they would not pay you for this upcoming birth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics