Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Cheating/Stealing/Not Honest????????????
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 6:38 pm
Fraud is an intentional misrepresentation or deception made by a person made with the knowledge that the deception could result in some unauthorized benefit to himself or dinner other person.

Fraud is fraud when it is done to cover $40 worth of tickets.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 8:57 pm
OP's company offers $7/day to cover parking expenses. She is asking for the $7 to cover parking expenses.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:05 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
OP's company offers $7/day to cover parking expenses. She is asking for the $7 to cover parking expenses.

This is a bit of a joke because it is only $40 worth of tickets she wants to cover right now. Your principles are wrong and you shouldn't give advice in this matter. If her company offered reimbursement for restaurant expenses and she decided she was entitled to take it when she ate at home because both were food, would you be OK with that also? Where does the this stop? With your thinking, she can substitute any cheaper item and ask for reimbursement for the bigger more expensive one because they are both in the same category.

causemommysaid

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:14 pm
amother wrote:
This is a bit of a joke because it is only $40 worth of tickets she wants to cover right now. Your principles are wrong and you shouldn't give advice in this matter. If her company offered reimbursement for restaurant expenses and she decided she was entitled to take it when she ate at home because both were food, would you be OK with that also? Where does the this stop? With your thinking, she can substitute any cheaper item and ask for reimbursement for the bigger more expensive one because they are both in the same category.

your example is inaccurate because the expense was incurred at work for work related reasons. eating dinner at home has nothing to do with work.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:27 pm
If she decided to park in her friend's driveway and pocket the money, that would be wrong. But that isnt what happened. If she was traveling for business and they offered $20 vouchers per meal, no receipts required, she would not be obligated to go to a restaurant to claim whatever she spent. She could just as easily buy a frozen meal and stick it in the microwave at her hotel and request reimbursement for the $8 meal.

Something isn't fraudulent because "you never know when the person will stop." Each act is considered on its own merit. I still maintain that claiming $7 for parking expenses when she actually spent that money on work related parking expenses could not be considered fraud.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:30 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
your example is inaccurate because the expense was incurred at work for work related reasons. eating dinner at home has nothing to do with work.

Parking in a garage has nothing to do with paying for a parking ticket.

To follow MBV's logic and the second part of what I said, OP can buy cheap pens and charge her company for the more expensive ones because both are writing implements or she could take a client out to eat for a cup of a cup of coffee and charge her company for a 5 star restaurant meal because both are going out to eat.

Frankly, I don't think you what fraud is and you shouldn't be giving advice in matters you don't understand.

groisamomma

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:33 pm
kb wrote:
On that note...

Why would you lie to your husband about a mere $7??!
Can't you just tell your husband you don't feel comfortable requesting the reimbursement since it doesn't actually fit the guidelines? Why lie????

Her dh is obviously not being reasonable about this. My dh is also uncomfortable about pursuing money that is coming to him and it irks the h*ll out of me. I know for a fact he once coughed up $75 that did not come from a subbing job he did, but he wanted to get me off his back. Maybe her dh is the same way.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:33 pm
I don't understand why you keep saying she's charging for a larger expense than she actually incurred. She is not.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:37 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
If she decided to park in her friend's driveway and pocket the money, that would be wrong. But that isnt what happened. If she was traveling for business and they offered $20 vouchers per meal, no receipts required, she would not be obligated to go to a restaurant to claim whatever she spent. She could just as easily buy a frozen meal and stick it in the microwave at her hotel and request reimbursement for the $8 meal.

Something isn't fraudulent because "you never know when the person will stop." Each act is considered on its own merit. I still maintain that claiming $7 for parking expenses when she actually spent that money on work related parking expenses could not be considered fraud.

Claiming she parked in a parking lot when she didn't is fraud and has nothing to do with when she will stop. The act stands alone as fraud. It doesn't matter if she uses the money to pay for parking tickets or pockets the money. Lying about her activities for monetary gain is fraud.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:42 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I don't understand why you keep saying she's charging for a larger expense than she actually incurred. She is not.

She has two $20.00 parking tickets which is $40.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:43 pm
amother wrote:

She has two $20.00 parking tickets which is $40.

She wrote very clearly that she would request the usual $7 parking expense, not the full ticket cost.

Let's say she actually fed the meter all day and didn't get a ticket. Would you think she's allowed to claim the $7 parking credit?

amother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:54 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
She wrote very clearly that she would request the usual $7 parking expense, not the full ticket cost.

Let's say she actually fed the meter all day and didn't get a ticket. Would you think she's allowed to claim the $7 parking credit?

She is only entitled to claim what she actually spent on parking (not parking tickets). Whatever she put in the meter and only what she put in the meter those two days are legal to charge for parking.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:02 pm
I don't see how it can be considered fraudulent if they are willing to pay for parking expenses and she is billing for parking expenses. She is not lying and saying she parked in a lot. She is seeking reimbursement for the amount that they alot for daily parking, which she actually spent on parking expenses.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:23 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I don't see how it can be considered fraudulent if they are willing to pay for parking expenses and she is billing for parking expenses. She is not lying and saying she parked in a lot. She is seeking reimbursement for the amount that they alot for daily parking, which she actually spent on parking expenses.

It is problematic that you can't see it. They will reimburse her for actually parking her car in a garage. Mischaracterizing her street parking to get reimbursed for garage parking is fraud. Parking tickets are not the cost of legally parking your car in a garage or a meter. They are the cost of doing something wrong. They are not part of the cost of parking your car, but a cost of not obeying municipal laws.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:33 pm
Are you trying to say that parking tickets fall in a different tax category than other parking expenses?

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:20 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Are you trying to say that parking tickets fall in a different tax category than other parking expenses?

don't they fall under penalties?

SRS

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:26 am
MaBelleVie wrote:

They are in a different tax category as they are non-deductible. Businesses cannot deduct this type of penalty. This is as clear as day and this is the reason companies don't allow reimbursement for them. It is really that simple. A small business might be happy to make up the loss to the employee in some way like giving them a pay bonus. A company with 3000 employees doesn't want bothered by this. I am sorry that OP's husband is bothering her about this.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:37 am
SRS wrote:
They are in a different tax category as they are non-deductible. Businesses cannot deduct this type of penalty. This is as clear as day and this is the reason companies don't allow reimbursement for them. It is really that simple. A small business might be happy to make up the loss to the employee in some way like giving them a pay bonus. A company with 3000 employees doesn't want bothered by this. I am sorry that OP's husband is bothering her about this.

Right, that's what I was thinking. I'm not sure why amother didn't just say this instead of simply repeating that it's fraud and everyone who doesn't realize this has a problem.

hillbubby

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:56 am
I'm impressed that OP is putting so much thought into this issue. I'm not sure most people would do the same.

IMO, it's clearly dishonest to ask for the $7. The company offering the reimbursement sets the ground rules for this arrangement.
In this case, the company offers reimbursement, as opposed to an allowance. OP would be correct in requesting the $7 only if a parking allowance was offered. In that case, it wouldn't matter whether or not she spent the garage parking fee because the company agrees to pay regardless of whether the expense was incurred. However, the company's intention is clear; they offer reimbursement and do not pay for parking tickets, which means OP is not automatically entitled to the $7 and should be compensated only for actual allowable expenses previously incurred. She did not pay for garage parking so she is not entitled to reimbursement for garage parking.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 6:39 am
Yes it's dishonest. Halevai we are on that level to blast this small action.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics