Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Inappropriate? Unprofessional? What do you think?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:09 am
DD's school is fairly large, so there are multiple sections for each grade. One of the kids in the class is the niece of the morah. There were several other sections this child could have been put in. I have seen some things that look very much like preferential treatment of this child by the morah. I think it's unprofessional for the morah to have her niece in the class when there were other options. What do you think?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:10 am
You never know what's behind this decision. As long as there's no real harm done to your daughter and the rest of the class, I don't see why this should be a concern.

cookiejar

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:12 am
What is it your business? Is your daughter suffering?

flmommy

Unless you think your child is being treated unfairly I would be too concerned. If I had a relative teacher I would consider asking for my child to be in that class. I wouldn't expect preferential treatment though. Can you give an example of why you think is preferential treatment?

Growing

Is it possible that something is going on in the family which the general public is unaware of?

I don't think that justifies preferential treatment which the kids can recognize as such but perhaps the Morah doesn't know where to draw the boundary.

Is your child being mistreated?

I would think long and hard why this is bothering me before I would judge or act.

Good Luck

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:18 am
I know a women that teaches in a school with parallel classes. She is teaching her DD this year. Due to the class dynamics she was given the option of pulling her DD out and switching her to the other class. She didnt want her DD to be miserable without her friends all year.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:21 am
Preferential treatment is unprofessional. Having her in the class is not. Seriously. Nothing wrong with it at all.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 2:33 am
I think it establishes a situation in which preferential treatment or even the appearance of preferential treatment can occur, and thus should be avoided.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 4:26 am
It's hard to say exactly how that class is being run, unless you can actually shadow for a few days and see it first hand.

I know for a fact that if my DD was in a class with a relative as a teacher, she'd be taking full advantage, and manipulating it for all it was worth. That's just her personality.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 6:43 am
It can also make the teacher very hard to the relative.
If it seems ok, don't change a winning team

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 9:04 am
My dd had her teacher's daughter in her class, even though there are parallel classes. I have no idea why she chose to have her own dd, but I do know that she was absolutely professional, she showed no favoritism at all. She's a very chilled, fun teacher, and they were only in first grade. I don't think it would work as well in an older grade. Unless you know there is definitely favoritism, and to the extent where the other kids notice and are harmed by it, I wouldn't worry about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics