Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you think of this orthodox women's dance group?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 1:45 pm
"Nehara symbolizes the challenge of the Jewish modern orthodox woman combining a professional dance career without compromising her observant way of life.

Revolutionary within the dance world and the orthodox world – Nehara's performances are open to all audiences - orthodox and secular, men and women, Nehara's unique creative works serve as vehicles bringing together Jewish and universal content and bridging the Jewish world and the professional dance world."

https://www.indiegogo.com/proj.....#home

cookiejar

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:58 pm
Ummmmm....! What part of this is Orthodox? I know I shall get heavily criticized here, but who said frum women are allowed to dance publicly, with videos on youtube? Men are allowed to watch you dance? They make it sound like this is some frum movement here. Sorry I'm being incoherent here but I'm flabbergasted and cannot formulate my thoughts properly...

mommyla

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:37 am
I agree with cookiejar.
Plus, not impressed with the choreography. What makes them "professional" dancers as they keep touting themselves? Have they had training?

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:10 am
I'm confused by the mixed audience thing. Other than that it looks like a wonderful project.

ora_43

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:50 am
cookiejar wrote:
Ummmmm....! What part of this is Orthodox? I know I shall get heavily criticized here, but who said frum women are allowed to dance publicly, with videos on youtube? Men are allowed to watch you dance? They make it sound like this is some frum movement here. Sorry I'm being incoherent here but I'm flabbergasted and cannot formulate my thoughts properly...

The part that's orthodox is the modest costumes, the not performing or rehearsing on Shabbat, the working solely with women (no male dancers, no male makeup artists, etc), and the inclusion of Jewish/religious themes.

I can see why people would disagree with what they're doing but it's hardly just a regular dance troupe, either. Having a dance troupe that only performs on weeknights is a big deal in itself.

ora_43

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:52 am
mommyla wrote:
I agree with cookiejar.
Plus, not impressed with the choreography. What makes them "professional" dancers as they keep touting themselves? Have they had training?

Years of training at some of the top dance academies, plus (for at least some of them) previous experience in other dance companies is what makes them professional.

imaima

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:57 am
As far as I know it is forbidden for a man to look at dancing woman. No one is forcing any men to come to their shows. They dance for whoever comes, and that might be men who might not mind looking.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 2:19 am
imaima wrote:
As far as I know it is forbidden for a man to look at dancing woman. No one is forcing any men to come to their shows. They dance for whoever comes, and that might be men who might not mind looking.

That's an interesting nuance. Are women forbidden from dancing in front of men, or are men forbidden from looking at dancing women? Or both? Or neither?

imaima

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 2:37 am
DrMom wrote:
That's an interesting nuance. Are women forbidden from dancing in front of men, or are men forbidden from looking at dancing women? Or both? Or neither?

I don't have any sources ! but I think it is shmirat einayim issue, and the man is in charge of his einayim.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 4:41 am
I love the idea of an orthodox women's dance group. The dancing didn't impress me much though. A bit too dramatic for me.

chani8

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 6:01 am
I don't get the mixed audience thing.

Why can't it be women dancing for women only?

I also don't get why they're so proud that all of their staff is men only. There isn't a problem having male professionals involved.

cookiejar

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 7:18 am
imaima wrote:
I don't have any sources ! but I think it is shmirat einayim issue, and the man is in charge of his einayim.

That would imply that it is no problem if you walk around semi-clothed, the men are responsible to control their looking... Also, in response to the person who wrote that the costumes are modest, I beg to differ... Their hair is covered and their skirts are long. Zehu,

ora_43

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 8:56 am
cookiejar wrote:
That would imply that it is no problem if you walk around semi-clothed, the men are responsible to control their looking... Also, in response to the person who wrote that the costumes are modest, I beg to differ... Their hair is covered and their skirts are long. Zehu,

I think it's assumed that when people are walking around outside, they look at each other. Outside is public space.

A theater is not public space. That's why you can have nudity in a play, even if the play is being performed in a city where someone walking around outside naked would be arrested.

I'm not saying there's no grounds to decide not to dance for a mixed audience. But I can see the logic in doing it.

Also - their hair is covered, their skirts are long, the necklines are high, the shirts are not skin-tight and they all have sleeves. I see a huge difference between that and the average dance costume.

(also, what they're wearing is something most dati leumi women in Israel would wear outside.)

imasoftov

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:04 pm
chani8 wrote:
I don't get the mixed audience thing.

Why can't it be women dancing for women only?

Did you read the section on their website called "How is it that orthodox women perform before mixed audiences ( men and women )?"

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 3:10 pm
Questions & Answers
How is it that orthodox women perform before mixed audiences ( men and women )?

We believe that as a dancer and artist it is important to be a part of the dance community. This demands a high level of performance. It also exposes dancers to what is new and upcoming within the dance field, enables them to be part of the community and take part and contribute to the changes that are taking place. Without this you become irrelevant. It is like any community, you must be physically part of and participate in the communal activities. It this case, this translates into rehearsals and performances. We feed off each other's successes and creations. This is how you become excellent.

As individual Jewish women, performing only for women is not part of our belief system. We believe in respecting our bodies and our place within the Jewish community and keeping to the traditional laws of Judaism but men seeing us dance is not an issue for us.. What is important to us is to bring under one roof the passion and love we have for our Torah-based belief system and raising our children in a religious home and our professional lives as dancers.

It is also important for us to be able to serve as a bridge between the secular and orthodox communities in Israel. Sitting next to each other in a theater during a performance is one way of doing that.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 3:47 pm
ora_43 wrote:
(also, what they're wearing is something most dati leumi women in Israel would wear outside.)

This. I don't see the issue with their costumes. I kind of liked them.

mirror

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 3:48 pm
How do they do those moves while pregnant?

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 3:49 pm
They do have a point despite what some xenophobic groups struggling with far greater issues might think

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 3:57 pm
Where does xenophobia come in?

MamaBear

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 4:13 pm
If they feel like this group allows them to do what they love and not compromise their level of Yiddeshkeit, then I think it's amazing. Good for them for being proactive and figuring out how to achieve their dreams.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics