Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Small business Saturday 2014. Which stores?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 8:53 am
I think I remember that as of last year Amex changed the rules so non profits couldn't join SBS. If I'm right, then you could all be right, some people remember non profits joining SBS from previous years, but if you call them now they will tell you it's not allowed.

MiniMom

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 9:10 am
Jawscience, well said! (For some reason I couldn't quote ur stuff on my phone) but everything is indeed legal & the lots of additional (authorized) users come in handy for lots of other promos that Amex offers throughout the year. They had an excellent gas offer for each card a few moths back that we needed the more cards the better.. They have some great offers that we definitely benefit of having lots of add'l users. & most of the cards are only used for promos & for the record, our additional users r our toddlers. My oldest is 4 & she has lots of cards already... This wouldn't trigger a financial review, the off the charts spending, that would...

Barbara

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 9:48 am
MiniMom wrote:
So we have a few main cards & additionals on each of them. U can have additionals on anyone u want. Obviously with their permission.. So we branched it out to 45 cards, which is mostly addl's.

The $25 offer was a few yrs back. This yr it's $10 per card upto 3x each card (so it's like &30 each card). Hope I'm clear..

Do each of these people actually have permission to use the Am Ex card? That's the requirement.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 9:55 am
My DH works for a frum business and has an AMEX card through that business. His boss probably has 100s of cards given out.
I know his boss gets miles from all the cards and flys to Israel multiple times a year.
but what about SBS. Who gets to use it? If my DH has the physical card is it his to use for this? How does it work?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
My DH works for a frum business and has an AMEX card through that business. His boss probably has 100s of cards given out.
I know his boss gets miles from all the cards and flys to Israel multiple times a year.
but what about SBS. Who gets to use it? If my DH has the physical card is it his to use for this? How does it work?

Since he isn't the one to pay the bills he should ask his boss if he minds your dh using the card for SBS. Unless it would be unprofessional, depending what kind of business this is- in which case, drop the idea.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 10:09 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Since he isn't the one to pay the bills he should ask his boss if he minds your dh using the card for SBS. Unless it would be unprofessional, depending what kind of business this is- in which case, drop the idea.

I"m the one who asked.
I wouldn't ask, just skip it. Not worth it.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 10:41 am
I'm ky saying its illegal at all in trying to inderstsnd why it would be worth it to have ten additionals just for once a year sbs but now that minimum my explained there are promos throughout the year that's a different story. Thank you for explaining it.

I just know that if I was a parent giving my married child a credit card and paying his bill I would feel stupid asking for it back for $30. If I was helping him out already I would want him to have the $30 too.

pause

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:10 am
amother wrote:
I'm ky saying its illegal at all in trying to inderstsnd why it would be worth it to have ten additionals just for once a year sbs but now that minimum my explained there are promos throughout the year that's a different story. Thank you for explaining it.

I just know that if I was a parent giving my married child a credit card and paying his bill I would feel stupid asking for it back for $30. If I was helping him out already I would want him to have the $30 too.

Most people who have additional cards on their account are doing it for their single kids who are still living at home. MiniMom's child is 4!

That's how I got my credit built up - when my parents put me as an additional on their line of credit when I was a teenager. Then they or I used the card for regular purchases. They paid their bills on time.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:25 am
Barbara wrote:
Do each of these people actually have permission to use the Am Ex card? That's the requirement.

I can't speak for others, but since my authorized users are my family (my husband is an authorized user on my cards and vice versa) yes. In fact, he did so just last week when my card was being offered a better points per purchase. Provided I knew what they needed the money for and approved (just like a teen can't just buy anything with the card the parents gave them) I don't have a problem with it. If they had some crazy emergency were they needed it I would much rather they contact me to use my credit than going to a loan shark or something.

We also frequently move cards around the family based on who has the best points offer and then we use the points to all go on vacation together whenever we accumulate enough. The purchaser writes a check to the cardholder to cover the cost and the points are very useful. A good example is when they had an offer for Costco rebates. I don't have a Costco membership but my in laws do and they used an authorized user card and wrote me a check for the balance of the cash after the automatically applied rebate. Considering how much they usually buy for me from Costco I was happy to get them something off.

questioner

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:33 am
pause wrote:
Most people who have additional cards on their account are doing it for their single kids who are still living at home. MiniMom's child is 4!

That's how I got my credit built up - when my parents put me as an additional on their line of credit when I was a teenager. Then they or I used the card for regular purchases. They paid their bills on time.

My parents did the same and I had a good credit history built up by the time I needed it, and I plan on doing the same for my children I"YH. Just confused about ages - I wanted to add my children as authorized users, but it said that they had to be 15 and they aren't. Do other cards allow this?

JAWSCIENCE

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:37 am
amother wrote:

Please note - you must register the card and get a confirmation email in order to use it on SBS and get a refund! I would hate for someone to take their business card and get a $30 gift card thinking "hey people online said it would be free" and then have to answer to their boss why this charge is on the business card. Even if you do register, IMHO you need to ask if the boss is OK with his employee using this card on SBS.

Also curiosity got the best of me, I called amex. they said 3 swipes in one store is fine. Again, if you are thinking of doing it you should call yourself, but I was starting to think I was crazy for interpreting the terms of service that way...

I think some parents get a bunch of authorized users and send their married kids out with all the cards to grocery stores and such to help the kids out financially. It's an example where someone might have 20 cards but I think thats nice for them to want to help in that way. Or for instance maybe someone like Greenfire found a great small business she would love to use for her wedding. I would bet all her kids/relatives would agree to become authorized users and chip in their cards for this, so they could get something for the wedding from AMEX. It would be totally worth it, even for just this promo.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:00 pm
Which stores are doing it this year?

amother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:39 pm
I know it's all a gift on ave m, pepper mill , organicer on new utrect
They are doing it

MiniMom

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:53 pm
Where r u located?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:44 am
Brooklyn.

MiniMom

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:33 am
To be sure, call up some of your favorite stores who you know are accepting Amex & ask them if they will b participating.. There's also a website that gives you a list of all participating stores based on your zip code...

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 7:32 am
Hamafitz Judaica in Crown Heights is participating.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 9:00 pm
Luach.com has a list of participating stores for many frum locations at https://luach.com/small-business-saturday

minnie mouse

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 9:21 pm
where do I register my cards?

shiam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 12:53 am
minnie mouse wrote:
where do I register my cards?

https://offerenroll.americanex.....Y2014
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics