Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Lavender oil to help kids fall asleep

mom2be

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 9:58 pm
Has anyone used lavender oil to help a kid fall asleep? I'm getting pretty desperate here....

miami85

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:01 pm
I've been using it, and I think it's been helping. I got Woolzies brand off of amazon

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:14 pm
I use various oils for various things and I do think my kids seem to sleep better when I use the bedtime oils (sometimes I forget.) the key is to use a good quality oil - I have tried some that did nothing and now I have a brand I like so I stick with that (you can pm me if you want because they go via personal referral links, I'm happy to help and be helped alike but don't want to just toss out my info publicly) and also to use careful trial and error because different things work for different people. For example I personally noticed after several tries that anything with lavender in it makes me more wound up instead of relaxed as it does for most people, but I found some other oils that relax me greatly.

miami85

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:21 pm
May I add, that I also use a really calming CD called Ocean Waves in conjuction with the lavender oil and I find that it helps my kids relax and fall asleep.

OMG!

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:59 pm
I started giving a tablespoon liquid calcium twice a day! Oh did that help!!! Bh. I remember my mom giving it to me as a teen

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 4:03 am
My daughter is a big fan of melatonin. Only 1.5mg (half a pill) does the trick.

Be careful with lavender oil, not everyone tolerates it well. For me, it gives me terrible headaches and makes me extremely irritable and crabby. Mad Pretty much the opposite of what everyone else says it's supposed to do.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 4:30 am
I would not use melatonin for a child who regularly has difficulty falling asleep. Someone in a different thread posted a very informative link about that, hopefully someone can come up with it so I won't go into my lame version of reasons why. But basically it's a hormonal product that isn't meant to be used long term or for young children. I'd only use it maybe to get over a temporary jet lag and kick your internal clock back into rhythm. For someone who has a hard time relaxing I would rather use something to help them relax.

Lavender has that opposite effect on me too. Nothing dangerous, though, just really annoying. So because many people DO find it helpful, I still wouldn't hesitate to try it first. If by some chance you happen to be one of those special people who gets an opposite reaction to it, then of course you stop using it and move on to the next attempt (valerian is supposed to be great for sleep. Or roman chamomile. I believe both are available in herb and tea forms as well as essential oils. I find oils easier though, no use trying to convince any child to drink valerian!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics