Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Parenting Tips Needed for Possible SPD/ADHD 3yoDS
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 3:22 am
seeker wrote:

I hope one of these days the OT will help me understand more because when I have tried jumping or other proprioceptive activities at home I didn't see such a result. Maybe I need to buy a half ball thing...

Or, read the nurtured heart approach.. Wink

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 3:26 am
Yeah maybe because I just looked them up on Amazon and those balls are ridiculously expensive, even if I did have room in my apartment for a gym.

5*Mom

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 3:29 am
seeker wrote:
I'm sure the nurtured heart approach is great and will possibly be helpful to OP, but I doubt it will remove the child's need for grounding stimulation... Though I never read it myself so I can't say Scratching Head

I'm not sure what was different about it at the OT than what we have tried at home with a trampoline, but I was amazed when I sat in on DD's first and second OT session how after a few jumps on a half-ball thing followed by crashing in a beanbag, she somehow seemed much better able to focus on the task that came afterwards. There was a difference in her whole demeanor. I hope one of these days the OT will help me understand more because when I have tried jumping or other proprioceptive activities at home I didn't see such a result. Maybe I need to buy a half ball thing...

I have, with multiple children. I learned first from the OT but the focus of ot for sensory issues is on teaching the parent, and ultimately the child, how to create a balanced sensory diet throughout the day, every day, so they get the input they need in the way that they need it for regulation.

Interesting tidbit: I am currently reading a book on the neuroscience of how the brain develops and in the very early years, sensory and motor input lays the very neural pathways that will eventually be used for attention, concentration and inhibition. Every child needs appropriate sensory and motor input for healthy brain development.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 4:40 am
Hug OP, you sound like a great parent, and you're really on top of things. Good for you!

Please tell your husband that when you have a sensory seeking child, potching will NOT work. The first time I potched DD, she just looked at me like "what was that?" A few days later she did something that made me mad, and I said "Do you need a potch?" She pushed her little tush in the air and said "OK, but not so hard this time!" LOL She made me laugh so hard I forgot what I was mad about in the first place. She was only 2.5 at the time.

Even now, at 11yo, she LOVES to be ticked so hard she can't breathe, and to have her tush hit HARD. I'll chase her around the house and give her a smack and it just makes her giggle. She adores trampolines, bouncy houses, and any kind of heavy work. She also sleeps with a weighted blanked (it works wonders for stopping sleep walking.) She also still loves to chew and lick everything in sight, so I buy special foam rubber chewies for her to gnaw on.

The good news is, once you get a proper evaluation, there is a HUGE array of therapies and methods out there to help channel all of that energy.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 4:53 am
My 4-year-old enjoys giving "horseback" rides to my 2-year-old. I'm not in love with the concept but it seems to give her good sensory input that she needs so I just try to keep them away from pointy furniture...

cbsp

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 8:16 pm
My daughter's OT wrote this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....r=8-1

It's called the parent child dance, scenarios and exercises that a parent can do with his/her child, mostly sensory, behavioral, etc. She's a frum lady, illustrated by a frum lady too.

Also, this book explains SPD very well (dr Ayers "discovered" it):
Sensory Integration and the Child
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/....._QL40

Hatzlachah!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)