Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Need to move: West Hartford?

chanamichaelah007

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 8:18 pm
Been trying to find a community in the states that has a community concert band or orchestra my 9 year old can play in (will be 10 soon) which doesn't meet on Shabbes or have their concerts on Shabbes. Someone mentioned West Hartford as a possibility. Can anyone advise me about it? Is it a warm community? We are BTs, a bit on the crunchy side. Learn a lot of Breslov but open to most hashkafas, though more comfortable with less leniencies: especially black hat and chassidish. OK with MO if not too loose.
Thanks. It's been a bugger to find a program for him.
Chana

elisheva25

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 8:23 pm
You want to move just so your son can play in a band? I am not trying to rude, just curious , that people would do something like that?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 8:54 pm
West Hartford, CT? I live not too far from there and wasn't aware of ANY community. Are you sure there is one?

little_mage

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:12 pm
There is a community in West Hartford; the shul is called Beth David. As most of my information comes from being on the periphery from being in college in Hartford, and I haven't been back in five years, I can't give you much more information then that.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:33 pm
There is absolutely a community in West Hartford!! West Hartford has Orthodox Jewish day school K-12 (an elementary-middle school and a high school called HHNE - http://www.hhne.org), multiple Orthodox shuls, kosher food and an eruv.

It is a more inclusive community than many. Here is a video from their mikvah: http://www.bessisrael.org/mikv.....ideo/

There is a mix of MO and more right-wing people. WH has an OOT feeling even though there are people from NYC, there are also people originally from elsewhere, including plenty from New England.

Kashrut (including grocery stores with pre-prepared food)- http://www.hartfordkashrut.org

Here's some info from Chabad: http://www.chabadhartford.com/.....d.htm

General Info: http://www.jewishhartford.org/.....gues/

Area Shuls:

Benet Rothstein Chabad Center
25 Harris Street
Glastonbury CT, 06033
www.chabader.com
Phone: 860-659-2422
E-Mail: rabbi@chabader.com
Rabbi: Rabbi Yosef Wolvovsky

Beth David Synagogue
20 Dover Road
West Hartford CT, 06119
http://www.bethdavidwh.org
Phone: 860 236-1241
Fax: 860 232-8272
E-Mail: beth.david.syn@snet.net
Rabbi: Yitzchok Adler

Chabad House of Greater Hartford
2352 Albany Avenue
West Hartford CT, 06117
www.chabadhartford.com
Phone: 860-232-1116
Fax: 860-233-2276
E-Mail: info@chabadhartford.com
Rabbi: Rabbi Joseph Gopin

Chabad of Northwest CT
7 Village Green D
Litchfield CT, 06759
www.chabadnw.org
Phone: 860-567-3609
Fax: (860) 567-2796
E-Mail: chabadnw@aol.com
Rabbi: Rabbi Joseph Eisenbach

Chabad of the Valley
141 Hopmeadow Street
Simsbury CT, 06089
www.chabadvalley.com
Phone: (860) 658-4903
Fax: (860) 658-4915
E-Mail: chabadsimsbury@hotmail.com
Email: Rabbi Mendel Samuels

Congregation Agudas Achim
1244 North Main Street
West Hartford CT, 06117
http://www.agudas.org
Phone: 860 233-6241
Fax: 860 233-6242
E-Mail: agudas@sbcglobal.net
Rabbi: Ari Weiss

Congregation Tephereth Israel
76 Winter Street
New Britain CT, 06051
Phone: 860 229-1485
Rabbi: Henry Okolica

United Synagogue of Greater Hartford
P.O. Box 370555
West Hartford CT, 06137
http://www.usgh.org
Rabbi: Ed Cohen

Young Israel of Hartford
1137 Troutbrook Drive
West Hartford CT, 06119
http://www.YIHartford.org
Phone: 860-523-7804
Rabbi: Rabbi Yeshayahu Gopin

Young Israel of West Hartford
2240 Albany Avenue
West Hartford CT, 06117
http://www.youngisraelwh.org
Phone: 860 233-3084
Fax: 860 232-5850
Rabbi: Brahm Weinberg
Email: rabbi@youngisraelwh.org

justforfun87

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:34 pm
I do not think that community fits your needs at all. I lived there recently. PM if you would like to discuss more.

chanamichaelah007

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 2:14 pm
Anonymous poster above: wow. Thank you for all the info. So helpful.

Elisheva: not why we have to move but yeah, I would so that my children could get a decent music education. I attended one of the top conservatories in the world and was a pro for years until RA destroyed my hands. The lack of regard for musical training in our culture makes no sense to me given its importance in The Tanakh. Many parents and educators feel the same as I do.

chanamichaelah007

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 2:19 pm
Justforfun,
My message to you couldn't be sent. Can you pm me, and share your thoughts?
Thanks!
Chana

elisheva43

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 8:41 pm
I live in Milwaukee, which is an amazing community in and of itself. We go to Beth Jehudah, where Rabbi Twerski is the rabbi. Rabbi Twerski is very musical himself and fully supportive of children getting a musical education.

Plus, we have the Milwaukee Youth Symphony and I know at least one frum girl who is in the symphony so it is not a conflict with Shabbos.

We also have school choice, so no tuition if your income is under a certain level (which isn't so low). And lots of beautiful houses, under $150K.

I could go into a lot more detail, but I will keep this short! Feel free to ask questions if you are interested.

justforfun87

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 8:48 pm
Pmd you with my email address

Dina_B613

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 9:04 pm
If you are willing to go to the private route (like homeschooling and private music lessons) you could go anywhere or focus on a city with already existing conservatories - like Baltimore, Boston, Chicago.

chanamichaelah007

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 12:30 am
All the big city symphonies I've looked into (all the above except Milwaukee which sounds great, and which I'll look into ASAP ) meet on Shabbes. Private lessons don't give the key ensemble experience, just the tedious grueling aspect of becoming a musician. My son, 9, won't stick to it without the best part: playing in a group (best for a classically training percussionist anyway). I'm also looking into the possibility of Simchah band performing for the ensemble aspect. It's tough as his passion is classical music. He hates playing a set.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 10:10 am
This is really far out; but might be worth pursuing. I live in Chicago. We have a simcha band here led by a couple. When we were all single, over 40 years ago, I believe these 2 people met as they both played in the Skokie (suburb) of Chicago philharmonic orchestra (don't know the exact name or if it still exists). I do know that they wouldn't have been part of it if chillul Shabbos was involved. If you'd the number of these people, PM me.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 11:38 am
It's been a long time since my (now adult) sons attended, but if your search is nationwide, Ohr Eliyahu in Los Angeles definitely still has a music program. At least back then, there were classically trained musicians in charge of the program.

musicmom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 12:57 pm
Hi. I am a music teacher and I live in West Hartford. Musically, West Hartford is a great place to train students. The community division at the Hartt School of Music in the University of Hartford is fantastic. They basically did not have practice or performances on the Sabbath when I was in that Orchestra in High School.

Our community is fantastic! I am not sure where else you feel like you are living in the country with beautiful scenery and trees, yet there are sidewalks everywhere. All the synagogues are within an hour walk of each other, so for simchas and major events, literally the whole town gets together to celebrate.

Did I mention we have Yossi catered Cholev Yisroel pizza Thursday and Sunday nights available at Beth David? We are only a half hour drive from Waterbury, where you can buy more specific groceries like Pas Yisroel crackers or Givat Yogurt, but you can often also get these in our town, and they do take requests for orders.

I am thoroughly impressed with our school system and they do give financial aid to those in need. The Hebrew and Academics are fantastic. Students learn about spirituality, which I imagine is difficult to teach. The music teacher at the Hebrew Academy went to Julliard. She is trained in the Kodaly and Orff methodologies and is incredible. I heard they had tremendous musical opportunities at the Hebrew High School as well.

The Young Israel of Hartford on Troutbrook is becoming revived again as a quaint little shteeble. It is in a house, and the community is close and warm and very religious. It is right next to a beautiful brookwalk.

You will find the view out the windows in Young Israel of West Hartford to be breathtaking. The houses in this area are known as the "Indian Reservation" because the street names sound like it. Many of your neighbors in this neighborhood are Jewish.

Was United on the List? It is on Mohawk Drive also in a house, and is a great shul with a wonderful rabbi.

Beth David is Modern Orthodox and we have a big children's program :-). This is the most warm, welcoming and diverse community I have ever experienced. Some people are more or less religious but we do truly come together as a community. We are also going to start Yiddish classes for the kids there soon, I think!

There are so many phenomenal music teachers in West Hartford. There is also a Jewish Community Orchestra in our town led by a Cantor that puts on fantastic performances throughout the year.

Come over! PM me if you would like to come for Shabbos and visit.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 1:35 pm
as a conservatory trained music educator myself, I am extremely impressed by your dedication to educate your children… kol hakavod

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 1:36 pm
I knew someone in Baltimore who played in the Baltimore youth symphony orchestra through high school. There were issues with shabbos but from what I remember they were accommodating.

chanamichaelah007

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 10:02 pm
Thanks so much to all for all the input and advice. Looking into all of the suggestions.

Gsanmb

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 7:50 pm
I teach at HHNE (the Modern Orthodox high school in West Hartford) if I can be of any help. Feel free to pm me or ask here. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating