Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Supervisor advises to do something against company policy

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 10:08 am
I can't be very specific, without giving anything away.

I work for a large company, and I report to a supervisor in a small department. This person is very nice. She reports to the HR person for our department.

The company has specific rules about time off, and being paid sick or vacation time for days off.

I took off for Sukkos, of course, and marked my four days off, as I should. My supervisor called me into her office on Friday and she said she spoke to her supervisor, the person who does HR for our department, and got permission for me not to list 2 of the 4 days as days off- in other words, I should mark myself as present at work even though I wasn't. She said she thought it wasn't fair for me to have to take sick and vacation days for my holy days, when everyone else automatically gets of x-mas, so she was doing this one time favor for me.

Im a bit torn. On one hand, I was given permission from my supervisor, who had permission from her supervisor, who is an HR person to do this. On the other hand, the company rules don't allow this.

To be clear, I already did what she said. I wasn't going to argue it.

I just am not sure if I should feel guilty.

What do you think?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 10:15 am
I would speak to the HR person myself. Find out who authorized it and get it in writing.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 10:15 am
why make problems where there are none? you were given permission from your supervisors supervisor who is in charge of HR. I am confident that she is qualified to make these decisions.

company policy is allowed to be tweaked by people high enough should the need arise. apparently they felt this was warranted. say thank you and enjoy your extra time off.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 10:18 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
I would speak to the HR person myself. Find out who authorized it and get it in writing.

I wouldn't go to the HR person. if it gets back to her supervisor then it wont look good for her. it will look like she didn't believe her.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 10:23 am
causemommysaid wrote:
I wouldn't go to the HR person. if it gets back to her supervisor then it wont look good for her. it will look like she didn't believe her.

Definitely not behind her back- she can be honest in saying that she wants to get it in writing in case there are later changes in the department.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 10:27 am
at this point so far after the fact, I think it might cause more damage than good.

I would let it go on this one.

if they ever gave you extra time in the future, I would ask for something in writing. its a tricky situation because you don't want to appear ungrateful or difficult or that you don't trust them.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 10:38 am
Very tricky situation. I'd be scared it's a set up quite frankly. You obviously can't go to HR person (though maybe you can thank her in passing?) but you don't want to be stuck in a case where it's your word against their word and they are denying...Hope it all works out for you!

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
Very tricky situation. I'd be scared it's a set up quite frankly. You obviously can't go to HR person (though maybe you can thank her in passing?) but you don't want to be stuck in a case where it's your word against their word and they are denying...Hope it all works out for you!

I very much doubt it's a set up

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:34 pm
Send a thank you email. Now you have created a record and appear suitably greatful.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:54 pm
I had a similar situation at work where I was given permission to do something that was against the rules. I told my supervisor I really appreciated it but I'd like the approval in writing in case anyone ever looks into it. The supervisor totally respected that and sent me an email with approval.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 12:16 pm
Squishy wrote:
Send a thank you email. Now you have created a record and appear suitably greatful.

That is a great idea so long as it's not too long ago.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 1:43 pm
I've gotten permission similar to this in the past.
I understood that supervisors have leeway to to make arrangements with employees. In my case he felt it was between him and his employees and told me not to discuss it with HR.

I once had a manager who told me to take Yom kippor off without reporting it. The HR directory sent me an e-mail asking me if I had worked on yom kippor. My manager was furious. He said it was none of her business and she had over stepped her bounds by asking.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:
I've gotten permission similar to this in the past.
I understood that supervisors have leeway to to make arrangements with employees. In my case he felt it was between him and his employees and told me not to discuss it with HR.

I once had a manager who told me to take Yom kippor off without reporting it. The HR directory sent me an e-mail asking me if I had worked on yom kippor. My manager was furious. He said it was none of her business and she had over stepped her bounds by asking.

yes but at the end of the day the only one who will get in trouble is you, not your manager, which is why people are saying to get something in writing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics