Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Parent teach conference- important for nursery age?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 2:40 pm
Do you think it's important to go to the PTa meeting for a nursery kid?
If I know she's doing ok in class and it's not like there's really major learning or anything just basic stuff.
What am I going to hear?
do you go?
thanks!

smss

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 2:47 pm
teachers relate to students differently when they know they have an involved, interested parent vs not.

L25

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 2:57 pm
do you see the teachers on a regular basis? I'm not going to parent teachers conference but I drop my daughter off IN the classroom almost every. single. day. I have contact info for the teacher and asked her if it would be ok to miss. I've given her positive feedback and raised a concern when I had it. I know other parents have called her, communicated via notes.... if they wouldn't see her. If I never or even rarely communicate with the teacher etc.. then I would say that you should consider smss's point.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 3:13 pm
smss wrote:
teachers relate to students differently when they know they have an involved, interested parent vs not.

That, and also IME even if there are some concerns they wouldn't necessarily have brought them up when you're doing dropoff or pickup. Teachers do prepare for the conferences and you never know what kind of feedback you will get.

L25

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 3:40 pm
MBV- I hear your point. I was just being honest in my response that that I'm not going. I wanted to point out that there are often different ways to show that you are an involved parent. Also that it depends on the teacher, b"H my daughters teacher goes through the class list and updates the parents. each parent got a phone call... I realize that other schools might not be like this and I didn't want my response to be taken out of context. In an ideal situation it is probably better to go regardless....

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 3:46 pm
L25, sounds like a great teacher Smile

5*Mom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 3:47 pm
It's important in terms of developing a relationship with the teacher and showing her that you take her seriously and value what she does.

L25

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 4:01 pm
MBV- she is-Thank G-d!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:35 am
Many don't go "religiously" under first grade. I like going and hearing and showing interest.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:42 am
I go and they make a whole thing about it. They have type written papers about the child and you and the teacher have to sign it. When you come for the pta, they give you these papers and you read it and then ask the teacher anything you want. The teacher and the parent each get a copy.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:42 am
Let's say all she's going to say is "your daughter is wonderful and a pleasure to teach" and the like. Is it really so bad to hear nachas?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:54 am
EEMA I'm just like you. Life can be so hard r'l, let's enjoy it all.

chani8

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:58 am
I only go to the private PTA meetings with the teacher. But some ganim (charedi BY in israel) have projects for the parent to do for their child, or a gift for the parent to bring home to the child.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:06 am
chani8 wrote:
I only go to the private PTA meetings with the teacher. But some ganim (charedi BY in israel) have projects for the parent to do for their child, or a gift for the parent to bring home to the child.

Yes we have that too (DL gans/schools). We have some project or greeting card we have to create during the meeting. The next day, the projects are hung on the classroom wall or placed on the child's desk. If the parent doesn't go, the child feels terrible because he's the only one without a gift from his parent!

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:42 am
I think it's important to go for the sake of showing your child that you value his/her education. If you can't be bothered then why should s/he?

Also, it's always nice to hear good things about your child and to develop a relationship with the teacher.

-the mother of a first grader who has already gone to 3 years of preschool parent-teacher conferences
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics