Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Dinner Ad

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 10:38 pm
My husband and I are putting a dinner ad for a yeshiva dinner. It is in honor of out shadchan, who has done a tremendous amount of good for us. Any ideas on how to express our thanks without sounding cheesy? Maybe a nice possuk with a nice line underneath about how we will be grateful forever? It sounds too cheesy.... Should we skip that part and only write a possuk? Or no possuk? Then what should we write that doesn't sound cheesy? All that we have come up with are coming from out hearts and sound super duper cheesy. Advice please!! TIA

chani8

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 12:45 am
What's wrong with cheesy? "A heartfelt thanks to our shadchanit for all her hardwork."

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 9:46 am
amother wrote:
My husband and I are putting a dinner ad for a yeshiva dinner. It is in honor of out shadchan, who has done a tremendous amount of good for us. Any ideas on how to express our thanks without sounding cheesy? Maybe a nice possuk with a nice line underneath about how we will be grateful forever? It sounds too cheesy.... Should we skip that part and only write a possuk? Or no possuk? Then what should we write that doesn't sound cheesy? All that we have come up with are coming from out hearts and sound super duper cheesy. Advice please!! TIA

So what have you come up with?
And do you have any connection to the yeshiva otherwise?

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 10:46 am
is the dinner milky ? cause then cheesey won't matter ... Cheese

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 5:11 pm
LOL, Greenie!

PSA:Please do NOT use a possuk. My dc yeshiva sent out an announcement pleading with ppl not to use psukim in their ads. The opinions about Sheimos vary from "it's only sheimos if it has shem hashem" to "it's sheimos if it has a complete possuk even without shem hashem" to "it's sheimos even if it doesn't have a single word of loshon kodesh on it but it was used to wrap a sefer'. So be safe and don't use a possuk, because someone, or many someones, will conclude that they have to bury the journal, and there aren't enough kvurah spaces in Beth Whoever Cemetery for all that.

Personally I don't see what's cheesy about a simple and sincere expression of gratitude. How do I spell "cheesy"? "Poems" for the sake of rhyming. Inside jokes that no one but the ad donor understands. Long, rambling manifestos, esp. in Hebrew without nekudot. Political statements masquerading as ads. That's what I call cheesy. YMMV.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 5:38 pm
zaq wrote:
PSA:Please do NOT use a possuk. My dc yeshiva sent out an announcement pleading with ppl not to use psukim in their ads. The opinions about Sheimos vary from "it's only sheimos if it has shem hashem" to "it's sheimos if it has a complete possuk even without shem hashem" to "it's sheimos even if it doesn't have a single word of loshon kodesh on it but it was used to wrap a sefer'. So be safe and don't use a possuk, because someone, or many someones, will conclude that they have to bury the journal, and there aren't enough kvurah spaces in Beth Whoever Cemetery for all that.

I can't like this enough! Trying to decide what is and isn't sheimos drives me NUTS shock
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics