Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Former Hasidic Jew sues Quebec for 1 million for getting a poor education

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 11:18 am
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....39831

mirror

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:07 pm
If it works, I know lots of other people who would love to sue their governments for $1 million. Wink

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:18 pm
Is this the same guy as the other thread?

HAPPY MOMMY

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:22 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
If it works, I know lots of other people who would love to sue their governments for $1 million. Wink

Of course! Why not, it's much easier than working.

liv n laf

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:25 pm
amother wrote:
Is this the same guy as the other thread?

No. These are two different lawsuits in two different countries altogether.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 6:11 am
HAHAHAHA!!! omg, I'll never get this sueing culture. He would be laughed out the justice court

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 9:57 am
Ruchel wrote:
HAHAHAHA!!! omg, I'll never get this sueing culture. He would be laughed out the justice court

In Canada I believe he will get nowhere. The sueing business is very weak. I it does teach him to get a life.
I wish him good luck. 😃

Last edited by Laughing Bag! on Mon, Nov 24 2014, 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 10:06 am
I happen to know this guy. He lives in a frum neighborhood. He is NOT after money. He is trying to help the children of his former community. They DID deny him a secular education. He and his children were ostracized because they weren't EXACTLY like everyone else. He is not a lazy person or a laughing stock. He is a father who is working hard to help his kids and his former community.
He is suing to raise awareness and to make sure the ministry of ed. cracks down and insists that the kids get basic literacy and numeracy skills. He knows he won't get money, but he will bring attention to this situation. What's wrong with that??

Deep

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
I happen to know this guy. He lives in a frum neighborhood. He is NOT after money. He is trying to help the children of his former community. They DID deny him a secular education. He and his children were ostracized because they weren't EXACTLY like everyone else. He is not a lazy person or a laughing stock. He is a father who is working hard to help his kids and his former community.
He is suing to raise awareness and to make sure the ministry of ed. cracks down and insists that the kids get basic literacy and numeracy skills.
He knows he won't get money, but he will bring attention to this situation. What's wrong with that??

There has been a stranglehold of a crackdown going on for the past decade. Minister of Education Yves Bolduc's infamous promise to crack down even further is worrying, to say the least. If his motive is awareness, then his efforts are superfluous.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 11:26 am
I would already understand better sueing the parents for their choice of education.
But, yeah, what can I say. I'm very very removed from such culture. Sueing a country for what it allows school wise? really?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 2:02 pm
amother wrote:
He is suing to raise awareness and to make sure the ministry of ed. cracks down and insists that the kids get basic literacy and numeracy skills. He knows he won't get money, but he will bring attention to this situation. What's wrong with that??

I highly doubt you are from Quebec. If you were you would know that the absolute last problem we have is the ministry not being involved in our schools. They are cracking down everywhere and making it really difficult for some schools, never mind the CPEs which are having tremendous problems.

Suing them is only going to make the situation worse for all of the religious schools.

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 2:16 pm
He is trying to bring up the issue of Tosh Cheder. The problems you guys are having is in Montreal (on the island of), which tosh is not part of so all he may accomplish is having the Quebec government crack down on tosh as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, But I haven't heard that tosh is having issues with the education department,just that the local Montreal schools/chedurim are.

Deep

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 2:19 pm
Laughing Bag! wrote:
He is trying to bring up the issue of Tosh Cheder. The problems you guys are having is in Montreal (on the island of), which tosh is not part of so all he may accomplish is having the Quebec government crack down on tosh as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, But I haven't heard that tosh is having issues with the education department,just that the local Montreal schools/chedurim are.

The Ministry of Education is provincial, not municipal. Tosh is feeling the heat as much as everyone else.

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 2:22 pm
Deep wrote:
The Ministry of Education is provincial, not municipal. Tosh is feeling the heat as much as everyone else.

Ok, didn't hear from them maybe because they do things quietly in their own little world lol.
Btw I heard the gov. Is starting to cave in to negotiations and things are looking better. Is that true?

Deep

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 2:32 pm
See my post above regarding Satmar. They are the only ones negotiating. Everyone else is attempting to satisfy the increasingly ludicrous demands. Ironically, official school ratings were just released and all the Jewish high schools were in the top 100 (lubavitch came in #28!). The extended hours, vacation cuts and other demands are of no benefit to the students, who are all doing spectacularly well with the current scheduling.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 6:47 am
I am always puzzled that such a free, modern country as Canada has issue with something even most Euro countries tolerate as long as they don't have to finance the school.

Deep

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 9:41 am
Ruchel wrote:
I am always puzzled that such a free, modern country as Canada has issue with something even most Euro countries tolerate as long as they don't have to finance the school.

The Quebecois have been discriminated against for centuries. Today, they wield their power to ensure that Quebec remains as "pure laine" as possible. They are inherently ethnophobic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics