Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
EBF Long Term

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 2:34 am
Someone mentioned to me that her friend said one of the best things she did for her children is EBF until 2 years old. She said the body gives the child everything they need and there's no reason to stop. Is this possible? Does anyone have any experience with this idea of not introducing solids until after a year? Or did this woman misunderstand and the friend just also nursed until age 2?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 3:17 am
I don't think most dr.'s would reccomend that. Toddlers need more nutrition than just breast feeding at a certain point.

morah

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:03 am
Some people mean ebf in the sense that they never gave formula, so they will say they are still ebf their baby well after starting solids. Your friend almost certainly misunderstood. I've never heard of anybody not giving solids after one. Breastfeeding continues to be very beneficial past one, but it becomes supplemental, not primary.

cookiejar

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:10 am
No, there is no way that someone fed a child - or rather that it is the right thing to feed a child - exclusively breast milk until age 2. The child will end up with a serious feeding disorder. They need to learn many many oral-motor skills that come with the introduction of food, oral-motor skills which not only enable them to eat, but also to speak. They also need to learn to tolerate many different tastes, textures, and varieties as babies. I cannot imagine that a 2 year old who has never eaten a solid will not be delayed somewhere in his development as a result...

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:05 am
The child would be grabbing food off the table, from under the table, licking the floor - I mean, unless there were no siblings and the adults took care never to eat in front of the child, the child is going to figure out that people are putting interesting-looking things into their mouths.

I agree with posters above. They meant no bottles, not no food.
Although in my younger and more naive days, I did manage to EBF for pretty close to a year for ulterior motives....

smss

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:52 am
if she used the term "EBF" maybe she meant extended breastfeeding, it can also stand for that.
I think there was a similar thread a while ago, some people do actually do this apparently.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 10:10 am
smss wrote:
if she used the term "EBF" maybe she meant extended breastfeeding, it can also stand for that.
I think there was a similar thread a while ago, some people do actually do this apparently.

OP here- you mean they do actually wait until age 2 to start on solids? I would think I just misunderstood, but I remember she said specifically that it was so annoying for her to start with solids but she thought she had to, and she wishes she did like this other woman and just stuck with nursing. There is still the very real possibility that she misunderstood that other woman though- I think I'll try to dig deeper next time I see her. Thanks everyone for the input! If anyone does have experience with this maybe-actual idea, please do let us know!

mandr

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 10:24 am
Solid food doesn't have to be introduced very early but by a year you kind of should. Ebf until 2 probably means no formula. A child needs foods for development and growth. BM is amazing for as long as you can provide it but it should be an add on to real foods past a year. My baby is 13 mos and nurses around five times in 24 hrs but I don't call it ebf because he gets meals too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics