Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Presents for chosson

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 1:51 pm
What gifts are given to the chosson during his engagement? I am told that people are not buying gold watches anymore because gold is very expensive. Is that true? I want to do what is right.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 2:52 pm
What does he want?. A watch that he'll never use? A shas that is too big and fancy to be useable? A menorah bigger than his window?
We took my DH to the watch store. After a couple years of not using out I got him a nice simple one for Chanukah. He still likes it a few years later.
Giving gifts is meant to send the message 'we are so happy that you're joining our family'. Start off with good communication.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 3:56 pm
The gifts probably depend on your circle. I have heard in the yeshivish circles of watches, menoras*, shas, kiddish cups, esrog box*, diamond cufflinks, tallis (Shabbos and weekday), tallis bag and kittel. Most people will not get the chosson ALL of these. These are just common options (or at least ones that I heard of).
Personally, I got my husband a silver menorah (and a talis and kittel). It is big but it is not the size of the window Smile When I told him what he was getting, he said that he would probably use his menorah more than his watch!!! He loves his menorah!
If you want to get a watch, I don't think it has to be gold (but maybe double check). I think it can be whatever is in style and/or what the chosson likes. But make sure to ask him. Lots of guys don't like the watch.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:30 am
Many get nothing, many kallos get only (!) engagement ring.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:34 am
Whatever you do, let him choose! Nothing worse than knowing someone spent a lot of money on a gift you don't like. If you want to get a watch you can let him know your budget and let him decide what he wants to do with it. I bought my husband a watch when we were engaged and we had fun shopping for it together Smile

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 11:30 am
I am amother from above. Totally agree w/ MBV. Let him choose the expensive stuff! My husband had a few choices of menorahs and he picked the one he liked. I am not sure if at the point, I would've been able to guess which one he would like. You can surprise him w/ little inexpensive things. The yr. I got married, my home city one the World Series (and it's a big baseball city), so I bought my chosson a World Series t-shirt at Marshalls!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics