Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Sudden accidents, what am I supposed to think?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 2:58 pm
My dd age 61/2 began having accidents at school. We never had this issue before.
She is afraid to use the schools bathroom. I have gotten several call from the teacher and she comes homes smelling terrible. It can become a huge social issue as well.
I spoke to her about it and shes giving many reasons why she wont go but none make sense and she probably isnt sure herself why.
Was in touch with the school social worker who arranged for an assistant to take her to the teachers bathroom every day but she is still giving them a hard time.
I made charts with her at home which she is trying hard to keep. Poor kid is keeping it in all day.
Just got a call to pick her up cuz she had an accident again.
Im at a loss, I dont even know what to do anymore! Any suggestions? Can it be something medical?
Input please!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 3:05 pm
I heard of a similar story now with a kid. The devoted teacher sends the kid out by the hour and doesn't say anything. The kid knows to go and use the bathroom. It can be from sheer laziness. At home she goes ok?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:00 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I heard of a similar story now with a kid. The devoted teacher sends the kid out by the hour and doesn't say anything. The kid knows to go and use the bathroom. It can be from sheer laziness. At home she goes ok?

No its not laziness and was never an issue till a couple weeks ago. The teacher sends her cuz she sees her wiggling, she pretends to have gone and comes back needing it just as bad. She has a fear of the school bathroom for some reason. At home this is not an issue at all. I wish I knew what went on there?!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:13 pm
there may be something unsavory going on. look into it. sudden bathroom issues can be associated with abuse.

you can also look into sensory issues. school bathrooms smell.

while you're at it, have her tested for a UTI. make sure she drinks enough throughout the day. dehydration can lead to a frequent urge to go and less control over the bladder. this can include leaks throughout the day, which means the kid will smell bad.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:20 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
there may be something unsavory going on. look into it. sudden bathroom issues can be associated with abuse.

you can also look into sensory issues. school bathrooms smell.

while you're at it, have her tested for a UTI. make sure she drinks enough throughout the day. dehydration can lead to a frequent urge to go and less control over the bladder. this can include leaks throughout the day, which means the kid will smell bad.

I did wonder about abuse and the school social worker told me there are certain things a parent will never know about their child and this may be one of them just be there and ready to listen when she wants to talk. Not an easy one to swallow.
She does drink enough, I make sure of that. Would there be any other symptoms that come along with UTI? and would it now be an issue at home if it was UTI? The issue is only at school.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:31 pm
amother wrote:
I did wonder about abuse and the school social worker told me there are certain things a parent will never know about their child and this may be one of them just be there and ready to listen when she wants to talk. Not an easy one to swallow.
She does drink enough, I make sure of that. Would there be any other symptoms that come along with UTI? and would it now be an issue at home if it was UTI? The issue is only at school.

well, I'd have a safety discussion with your dd right now, not linking it to a discussion about the bathroom issues. make sure she knows that she can approach you with problems, and that you will love her no matter what.

as for the uti business, if she's holding it in more in school, it'll be worse in school. she's more comfortable at home, she's more likely to go immediately. it's unlikely to be a uti, but it's best to check it out just in case. this would involve a simple urine test.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training