Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Tuition relief - For those who might be willing to move OOT

tryinghard

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 9:34 pm
I don't usually promote my hometown so generally, unless I feel that it really fits what an OP is describing. That being said, I just want to put this out there as a public service announcement.

Rochester, NY has a new tuition/recruitment initiative: Any family moving to Rochester will pay a total of $1000 per family per year in tuition at Derech HaTorah of Rochester for their first two years, no matter how many children they may be enrolling. This is the yeshiva's day school, which has both boys and girls classes.

I mentioned to DH that I was thinking about posting this on Imamother, and he pointed out that this could be great for those who find tuition to be a huge burden. This could also be a way for some families to work their way out of debt.

If you are willing to move out of town, just look into Rochester. It may not be the right place for you and your family. But maybe you know someone this could help. There is a decent amount of info here on Imamother, and if anyone wants to PM me for more info, (or post here to stay amother) feel free Very Happy

smss

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 9:36 pm
I'm not looking to move, but just curious, how much is tuition generally?

tryinghard

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 9:42 pm
2014-2015 Tuition for Grades K - 8: $9,990

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 9:53 pm
WOW that's amazing!!!

Side note... tuition is a scary thing. shock

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:42 pm
Are there Section-8-compatible apartments available?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:22 pm
[quote="tryinghard"]. This is the yeshiva's day school, which has both boys and girls classes.

Just to clarify as this statement is misleading. The classes are coed until 4th/5th depending on the year.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:40 pm
Western Massachusetts in the town of Longmeadow has a wonderful small community with a Chabad day school through eighth grade that is very reasonably priced at about $5500 per year. Best of all it's a great school - really love it.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:41 pm
Not to rain on your parade OP
I think it's a great idea for the right family

But after 2 years it's 10 k per child
In Lakewood , granted getting into school is no small thing . But , once you're in, it's only 4-6k and you're in well LAKEWOOD

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:44 pm
amother wrote:

In Lakewood , granted getting into school is no small thing . But , once you're in, it's only 4-6k and you're in well LAKEWOOD

Lots of people don't want to be in, well, Lakewood Idea

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:07 am
amother wrote:

Well, Rochester is certainly not Lakewood bh nor are they trying to be a substitute for Lakewood. If that's your mentality (lakewood all caps you get my drift) then Rochester is certainly not for you.
Who would be happy here? A frum but very chilled out, out of the box minded, nature/outdoorsy family looking for a relaxed lifestyle where you can do your own thing without judgement, yet still raise your kids in a nice, frum community. If you are looking for a huge social scene like Chinese auctions every night then its probably not for you. Don't get me wrong there are lots of community events between Yeshiva, Chabbad, the jcc and the 3 shuls, but its nothing like the tri state area.
Realistically you would need to know that your pool of friends will be smaller but the women here are really sweet and people will do anything for each other. I do think ideally the school would love to attract families that would be involved rather than people who are just looking for a free ride, but that's just my 2 cents. There is so much more to this community than this tuition incentive. It's not all about 2 yrs low cost tuition it's about a great OOT community where you can live a good frum life and still enjoy it.

spring13

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:19 am
Another plus to Rochester, for a family with the right attitude - housing is WAY cheaper than in the tristate area.

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 3:15 pm
amother wrote:

Right, it isnt Lakewood. You dont need protexia or big bucks to get into a school in Rochester. See, Lakewood lady, its interesting. On this board,when someone posts that they are looking to move to Lakewood, she is cautioned to get in writing that her kids are accepted into a school before they more, then cautioned that even then, its not a sure thing they the kids will have a spot. In places like Lakewood, a new jew is just another jew. In places like Rochester, every yid counts. The schools not only have room for your kids, they want you to join the kehilla so badly that they lower tuition for you!
YU has a fair every year to showcase new communities where every yid matters - where the schools want the children, not push them away. Mom drives? Great, heres a carpool. Mom chews gum? Care to share? Internet at home? Cool with us if thats who you are. So you dont have to lie to get into a school and sign all sorts of proclamations and what not.

So, while you are right, Rochester isnt, well, LAKEWOOD, but the Torah learned there is just as sweet and pure, and the yidden are the sweetest of the sweet.

ETA - Your right that after 2 years the tuition will go up. But there is plenty of financial aid for those who need it. And let me tell you something. I have seen many financial aid forms in different cities. The ones in Monsey/Lakewood?Brooklyn (IVe seen them all) ask you how much you spend on weekly house keeping (assuming you have it), how much you spend to go away for pesach, succos, bungalows (again, assuming you participate in that too). "Out of town", they dont need to know all of that stuff. Why? Because when you are in a place that wants you there, you wont be told by the tuition committee "If you cant afford this school, go to a cheaper one" (YES, I WAS TOLD THAT!). They will work with you, because you count and you matter and they want you and your kids.

<drops>

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 4:35 pm
I agree with everyone but lakewood lady. I live in hamilton ontario and we are growing here because people are starting to realize how special our community is because every single person is wanted. the schools work with you. there is a shuttle to toronto for high schoolers and even a grade schooler whose parents wanted her in an all girls class.

we have a kehila at our orthodox shul that includes all shades of frum and also all shades of secular. it is a welcoming place and the jewish community which also includes a reform and conservative synagogue has a lot of crossover in terms of social and community non profit participation.

Not LAKEWOOD is not for everyone, but it sure is for a lot of us.

tryinghard

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:
Are there Section-8-compatible apartments available?

Sorry I didn't respond, I got side-tracked by the Lakewood conversation. Actually, until recently the answer would have been no, but the apartment complex where many frum couples live (affectionately known as "kollel heights") began taking section 8 about 2 years ago after a change in management. I don't know how section 8 works if you are already on it, if you can transfer it though, because I have heard there is a very long wait list for it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating