Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Does your family/community celebrate American Thanksgiving?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

BlueRose52

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 1:41 pm
See this old thread: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....68080

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 1:58 pm
Thanksgiving is great. I'm very grateful to be a US citizen!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 5:55 pm
As oppposed to Canadian Thanksgiving? We're American so if we were going to celebrate, it would be the American one. But there's no way I'm serving a big feast on a Thursday, esp. Thursday before the shortest or second shortest Friday of the year. I work Friday and get home maybe 45 min before candlelighting. But even if I were off on Friday--after a big feast on Thursday what am I going to do for a follow-up for Shabbos? And who would even be hungry? So I do what any intelligent American Jewish balaboste would do, namely cook turkey (bought on sale) and all the traditional T-day fixin's on Thursday and serve them on Shabbos. This year, however, the T-day "sales" were a travesty. 50 cents off the regular price per lb. of a frozen kosher turkey, AFTER you spent $75 on other groceries? Moichel toives. This year it's chicken. Cranberry sauce I serve all winter anyway. Pumpkin pie I don't like so I don't make it. And marshmallows over sweet potatoes is a nauseating concept.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the holiday. I consider it an American holiday like Labor Day or Independence Day, nothing about it offensive or inappropriatefor Jews, it just comes at the wrong time for me to observe it the traditional way. Maybe if it were on a Monday...

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 6:29 pm
My community's attitude is we celebrate mother's day every day with kibud eim, ditto for father's day. Never heard the same said about thanksgiving, but I'm sure the official line woukd be don't we say modim three times a day every day?

Very Happy

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
As oppposed to Canadian Thanksgiving? We're American so if we were going to celebrate, it would be the American one. But there's no way I'm serving a big feast on a Thursday, esp. Thursday before the shortest or second shortest Friday of the year. I work Friday and get home maybe 45 min before candlelighting. But even if I were off on Friday--after a big feast on Thursday what am I going to do for a follow-up for Shabbos? And who would even be hungry? So I do what any intelligent American Jewish balaboste would do, namely cook turkey (bought on sale) and all the traditional T-day fixin's on Thursday and serve them on Shabbos. This year, however, the T-day "sales" were a travesty. 50 cents off the regular price per lb. of a frozen kosher turkey, AFTER you spent $75 on other groceries? Moichel toives. This year it's chicken. Cranberry sauce I serve all winter anyway. Pumpkin pie I don't like so I don't make it. And marshmallows over sweet potatoes is a nauseating concept.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the holiday. I consider it an American holiday like Labor Day or Independence Day, nothing about it offensive or inappropriatefor Jews, it just comes at the wrong time for me to observe it the traditional way. Maybe if it were on a Monday...

Well. y'know, I guess I'm just stoopid, then, not a real smart "American balaboste" like you.

But I do have a serious question. Does your family really not eat any meals for 48 hours following a large meal? So if you have a big Shabbat dinner, you don't eat again until Monday? I guess on top of being stoopid, we're a bunch of oinkers, because even if we eat Thanksgiving dinner at about 5 on Thursday, we'll want dinner Friday night.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 6:52 pm
amother wrote:
My community's attitude is we celebrate mother's day every day with kibud eim, ditto for father's day. Never heard the same said about thanksgiving, but I'm sure the official line woukd be don't we say modim three times a day every day?

Very Happy

and my response to that "mother's day every day" is, lehavdil, we remember yetzias mitzrayim every day, but we still celebrate Pesach; we remember the churban every day but we still fast on Tisha B'av. Mother's Day isn't to honor our moms but to CELEBRATE them. Obviously it makes no sense to honor our mothers one day a year and diss them the rest of the year, and that would be against our religion anyhow, but we're not taking them out to dinner and buying them flowers and chocolate (or ties and aftershave, if we're talking fathers) every day, either. There's nothing wrong with choosing a day to make a special fuss over them. Or choosing a day to reflect on how fortunate we are to be living in here and not in any of a host of other places that are not quite so hospitable.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:00 pm
I made four apple pies last night, I have a turkey defrosting, and I intend to get to work on my stuffing and cranberry sauce tonight. I've been eating extra apple pie filling all day. I love thanksgiving. and if there are leftovers, I don't have to cook for shabbos. Smile

(and for those of you who are going to ask, I am having a bunch of guests. I don't expect pie leftovers.)

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:52 pm
zaq wrote:
and my response to that "mother's day every day" is, lehavdil, we remember yetzias mitzrayim every day, but we still celebrate Pesach; we remember the churban every day but we still fast on Tisha B'av. Mother's Day isn't to honor our moms but to CELEBRATE them. Obviously it makes no sense to honor our mothers one day a year and diss them the rest of the year, and that would be against our religion anyhow, but we're not taking them out to dinner and buying them flowers and chocolate (or ties and aftershave, if we're talking fathers) every day, either. There's nothing wrong with choosing a day to make a special fuss over them. Or choosing a day to reflect on how fortunate we are to be living in here and not in any of a host of other places that are not quite so hospitable.

Lol. Good point. I was just sharing that it's not done in my circles.

There is absolutely nothing wrong or un-Jewish about it.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:
Lol. Good point. I was just sharing that it's not done in my circles.

There is absolutely nothing wrong or un-Jewish about it.

not according to the poster who said she didn't want to celebrate like the g*yim.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:00 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
not according to the poster who said she didn't want to celebrate like the g*yim.

Some would view celebrating holidays on the nonJewish calendar as chukas hagoy.

To each their own.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:01 pm
amother wrote:
Some would view celebrating holidays on the nonJewish calendar as chukas hagoy.

To each their own.

more pie for me! Cheers Cheers Cheers

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:03 pm
My MIL passed and she prepared a HUGE Thanksgiving FEAST every year.
It was absolutely amazing, the table, the decorations the FOOD... EVERYTHING about the meal was outstanding,

Since she passed it is my responsibility to continuer the tradition/
My husbands siblings are not kosher so I need to do it all.

This is my very first year so IF anyone has any awesome recipes to share I would be grateful!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:05 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
more pie for me! Cheers Cheers Cheers

On second thought... is that pie cholov yisroel? Kemach yoshon? Pas yisroel? Heimishe shechita?

What the heck, I'm hungry!
I'm coming over...

Rolling Laughter

sky

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:17 pm
My mother always did Friday night thanksgiving.

We got a free kosher 'Turkey' from shoprite - but it ended up being a chicken.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:26 pm
Nope. Not at all. It's a real American thing, so the longer your family has been in America the more likely you are to celebrate it. People who's families are here since the early 20th century are more likely to celebrate it.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:29 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
I made four apple pies last night, I have a turkey defrosting, and I intend to get to work on my stuffing and cranberry sauce tonight. I've been eating extra apple pie filling all day. I love thanksgiving. and if there are leftovers, I don't have to cook for shabbos. Smile

(and for those of you who are going to ask, I am having a bunch of guests. I don't expect pie leftovers.)

Yum!

Both sides of our family celebrate. I think the mo posters probably all celebrate if they live in the US. I'm curious if any of the other posters do?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:38 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Yum!

Both sides of our family celebrate. I think the mo posters probably all celebrate if they live in the US. I'm curious if any of the other posters do?

We're in the US and celebrate. We're also vegan, so we eat pie and stuffing (which I make "outside" the bird with vegetable broth instead of turkey dripping). Other than the normal family mishegas, I love Thanksgiving

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:41 pm
In Lakewood, Thanksgiving doesn't exist. The kids have school, I have work (I work in schools) and my husband has work/yeshiva. I told one of my neighbors it's supposed to snow on Thanksgiving and she said, "oh whens Thanksgiving?". One year my MIL wanted us to come for Thanksgiving dinner and my DH asked our Rav and he said we shouldn't celebrate Thanksgiving "it's going in the ways of the non jews" even if it's not a religious holiday so we didn't go. When I was growing up in Baltimore, we were off of school for Thanksgiving but we didn't celebrate we just got ready for Shabbos (we had turkey fri night bec. it was on sale!) I had enough cooking with succos and Chanukah is coming up so I don't mind not having a Thanksgiving dinner. we are definitely grateful to live freely in America we just Don't celebrate Thanksgiving.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 9:24 pm
I think in general it can be summed up like this:
the chareidi/yeshivish/chasidish...etc..world does not celebrate thanksgiving. The MO do celebrate.
JPF type, I'm not so sure about.

I didnt celebrate it growing up which is odd when I think about it because my family is american and I would consider them JPF. Now I'm living in the yeshivish world and it's not even mentioned. I wish I could celebrate it though. Seems like a nice thing to do.
I love hearing the radio the few days before mentioning all the upcoming travel and the traffic. Like today they kept talking about the storm coming up and how everyone should leave early.. the roads wil be full of cars,etc.. was feeling all jealous that it's just a regualr day and weekend by me.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 11:09 pm
Barbara wrote:
Well. y'know, I guess I'm just stoopid, then, not a real smart "American balaboste" like you.

But I do have a serious question. Does your family really not eat any meals for 48 hours following a large meal? So if you have a big Shabbat dinner, you don't eat again until Monday? I guess on top of being stoopid, we're a bunch of oinkers, because even if we eat Thanksgiving dinner at about 5 on Thursday, we'll want dinner Friday night.

I needed this laugh, thank you Barbara.

While we don't sit down to a Thanksgiving meal, I celebrate the day off by taking my kids out of school for a bit and doing something special with them. Same for all legal, national, religious holidays. You know, when my colleagues discuss their Thanksgiving plans I feel awkward saying we don't do Thanksgiving. For some reason it feels wrong not to celebrate the fact that we are fortunate to live in this free country. OTOH I get emotional every day when I say the pledge; I believe I say it more sincerely than most people that do celebrate Thanksgiving.

I'm not sure this makes sense to anyone but me. LOL
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics