Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Normal 5 year old behavior?
Previous  1  2

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 9:28 am
Zones of regulation really is excellent, and you don't need a therapist to do it with you.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 10:10 am
Thanks mae im checking it out.

cbsp

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:14 pm
Are you sure you're not talking about my daughter? I could've written your post, except for the selective mutism part.

My daughter does get BOE services (PT and OT). Additionally, we take her to a private OT who specializes in reflex integration, sensory, and self regulation. She recently wrote a book that may help you. It's scenarios and exercises/games a parent can do with her child. The writing is very clear and there are illustrations as well. We've been doing some at home and do see a difference.

Here's the info:
The Parent-Child Dance: A Guide To Help You Understand and Shape Your Child's Behavior...by Miriam Manela OTR/L

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....r=8-1

Also, FWIW, we were able to get PT & OT therapies outside of the BOE that was covered by insurance without an ASD diagnosis. It may be worthwhile to get an evaluation to see what your options can be.

Hatzlachah!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 10:21 pm
Books are great, but really need to take her to an OT. I've even flipped through the book cbsp spoke about (she seems to be plugging on lots of the threads on imamother... Smile ) - lots of nice compensatory exercises, but not really a solution.

Find an OT who has excellent references. I know from experience that you must find someone who can explain your child thoroughly and evaluate her systems, reflexes, and neurochemical components. At 5, that behavior is inappropriate, if that's the norm. But compensatory exercises and techniques will only cover up the issue. In fact, some of the exercises that were in the book cbsp mentioned can actually INCREASE those behaviors. Sort of like the out of sync child by kranowitz - parents pick and choose, but they don't know what they are doing to their child's brain. Go to an experienced OT - it will be money well-spent! (or find someone in BOE who has great experience)

Good luck!

cbsp

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:14 am
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as a billboard embarrassed I know I don't read all threads so I post it in the threads where it seems apropos and don't assume others have seen the info already.

Definitely, an OT/Neuro eval is called for here. But OP said she can't do that for financial reasons... if the child is functioning in school then BOE will be reluctant to provide anything, especially if it's a private school. However, at least here in NJ, a parent can request an evaluation, so maybe that's the place to start... We got a Neurodevelopmental eval through the BOE that way...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers