Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Seeking Black Friday deal on flatware

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 5:26 am
I found these two deals. Which of these are good sets? What are features I can look for? Can anyone recommend other cutlery sets?
http://m.bonton.com/shop/home/.....sTClg

This is the same set on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....r=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....X0DER

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 5:27 am
Kohls has a bunch on their website now. Prices are comparable to marshalls.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 5:58 am
Thank you. Would you know the difference in brands and quality? I would like to spend up to $50 for a service of minimum of eight.

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 6:11 am
The difference between 18/0 (lower quality) and 18/8 or 18/10 (higher quality) is the nickel content, which will keep your flatwear nice and silver and shiny over the years. See http://www.silversuperstore.co......html

But that's not the only thing to consider. You need to consider the weight of the flatwear. Even trusted brands like Oneida make cheap lines that will literally bend with use. Obviously, that should be avoided. Check the reviews, looking for words like "flimsy."

sky

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 6:37 am
To echo barbara 18/10 is the strongest and won't bend and will last for a long time.

However, When I bought flatware for shabbos the saleswomen recommended 18/8. she said the strength is similar, but the shine is slightly different and will look more elegant.

I would think 18/0 is thinner and more prone to bending.

I've also done well at Macy's with a coupon, but I don't know what type of sales they are having now.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 5:30 pm
OK, thanks for all your help. I checked out Kohls, and am still confused. Can anyone recommend a specific set, for every day use, minimum service of 8? Since it's not for Shabbos, I don't think I need 18/10. Or should I just buy at a closeout store such as Amazing Savings? I was hoping to do better than Amazing Savings prices now, with Black Friday deals.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 5:57 pm
Read the reviews and you'll know which sets are better or lower quality. You can use the coupon code THANKS15 for an extra 15% off at kohls.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 6:44 pm
I bought an Oneida set on sale within your price range and have been very happy with it. Had it about 3 years now. It is 18/0, yes I heard all about 18/10 being so much better but that's not so easy to find and generally a lot more expensive. I had bought a more expensive, heavier set at a classier housewares store and returned it (twice actually) because of quality disappointments (rust spots, e.g.) My Oneida was cheaper and did not have any issues ever. I was wary that maybe the half-satin finish might scratch off or something but have not seen that at all yet after 3 years of heavy use. They are a bit on the thin side and would probably bend I of shape if someone were purposely violent with them but they have held up to plenty of regular use - I use an ice cream scooper for ice cream just in case. I think you get a web coupon for signing up for emails that you can stack with sales, that's probably how I got my service for 8 around $40.

I have also been fine with my much heavier but probably also 18/0 set that we received as a wedding gift but I know was bought on a Macy's sale+coupon. I would suggest visiting the store in person with a savings pass if this is something you're interested in. Nothing like seeing for yourself before buying. Not sure what the cost was in that.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:05 pm
seeker wrote:
I bought an Oneida set on sale within your price range and have been very happy with it. Had it about 3 years now. It is 18/0, yes I heard all about 18/10 being so much better but that's not so easy to find and generally a lot more expensive. I had bought a more expensive, heavier set at a classier housewares store and returned it (twice actually) because of quality disappointments (rust spots, e.g.) My Oneida was cheaper and did not have any issues ever. I was wary that maybe the half-satin finish might scratch off or something but have not seen that at all yet after 3 years of heavy use. They are a bit on the thin side and would probably bend I of shape if someone were purposely violent with them but they have held up to plenty of regular use - I use an ice cream scooper for ice cream just in case. I think you get a web coupon for signing up for emails that you can stack with sales, that's probably how I got my service for 8 around $40.

I have also been fine with my much heavier but probably also 18/0 set that we received as a wedding gift but I know was bought on a Macy's sale+coupon. I would suggest visiting the store in person with a savings pass if this is something you're interested in. Nothing like seeing for yourself before buying. Not sure what the cost was in that.

Did you buy your Oneida from their website? From Kohls? I'm unclear which emails you're referring to... Is it possible to send me a link of the style you have?

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:14 pm
It was the Oneida site. I think it is called something else though because they have like 3 related brands in one website. Maybe it was shopworldkitchen? Sorry I don't remember that specifically. Just wanted to point out that inexpensive 18/0 flatware can be just as satisfying as expensive heavy stuff.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:19 pm
Wait, no, I just looked it up and it looks like Shopworldkitchen is the one that sells Corelle, not Oneida. So I guess it was the Oneida website itself and I think it was a regular web coupon not email signup.

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:26 pm
No no no no no.

18/0 and 18/8 (which is pretty much the same as 18/10) have nothing to do with the weight of the cutlery. It's nickel content, making it shinier and more rust resistant.

You can find nice, sturdy 18/0. It will be cheaper than sturdy 18/8. Or you can find flimsy either one. I'd go for sturdy over nickel content.

rena18

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 7:38 pm
Costco has 18/10 Mikasa flatware on sale this week for $54.99 for a 65 pc service for 12

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 8:01 pm
Barbara wrote:
No no no no no.

18/0 and 18/8 (which is pretty much the same as 18/10) have nothing to do with the weight of the cutlery. It's nickel content, making it shinier and more rust resistant.

You can find nice, sturdy 18/0. It will be cheaper than sturdy 18/8. Or you can find flimsy either one. I'd go for sturdy over nickel content.

Well yes, I'm just saying that people say higher nickel is better for finish/appearance/strength but my 18/0 looks great, wears great, and isn't flimsy, even though it's one of the less expensive Oneida lines. So go figure... get something you like that's not garbage and live with it because it's only flatware after all. It won't go to the grave with you no matter how much you agonize over it. When I bought the Oneida it was because at the price I paid I wouldn't have been so annoyed if it ended up rusting or losing finish or bending, whereas with my $200-ish set I was royally dismayed when that happened and went through a whole returning/exchanging rigamarole. I figured I will just buy the $40 ($50? hard to remember) set and whatever it is, I will be OK with it because my expectations and loss were lower in the first place. I would also give myself permission to chill out about maintenance instructions, despite instructions saying not to I freely let them soak in the sink for days, use citrus flavored dish soaps, and let them air dry with no stress or worries. It was a pleasant bonus surprise that it happened to actually hold up 10x better than the expensive ones.

But not Amazing Savings, the ones I saw from there were genuinely flimsy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars