Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
RBS Aleph Schools
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 3:00 am
as someone else wrote, you have to realize that Israel is a different culture. While in America I may have worn a denim skirt, here in Israel I would not even think to do such a thing. Just because culturally in the Bais Yaakovs (at least out of town), girls can wear short socks, short sleeves, and still be considered yeshivish, in Eretz Yisrael that is not the case. Be careful when looking into schools and seeing the dress codes, you may think a school is a certain level of reliigiosity but it may be different here than there. You have to erase all previous ideas and start afresh. If you choose to send your boys to Darchei Noam, Toras Moshe, or Magon Avot, you are not making a drastic decision religiously. If you send to Rappaport, realize that you are saying that 100% you want your son to serve in the army no matter what because that is what the chardal's ideology is. You have to ask yourself where do you want your son to go in the future? If for high school, you want your son to go to a yeshiva, then what kind? one with minimal secular studies...one with a lot...or one with none. After high school, do you want 100% that your son will serve in the army? depending on what your son wants? or, do you want him to have a possibility of choosing to be charedi? you have to think about where you would want your son to be in 15-20 years and then start the process of choosing a school. It sounds difficult to swallow as an American. from what I understand with DN, TM, and MA, they try to straddle the field and do give options of not quite choosing the derech, but there are a lot of other schools too, and you should think about these questions.

Dena

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 3:03 am
it would seem that Ahavas Yisroel is very much standing alone....whereas all the others are interconnected in their acceptance.

if you send to AY then you cant send to the others, yet if you send to one of the others you can chose any of them for the boys and girls.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 3:15 am
I think if you send to Darchei Noam then you need to send to Bnos Malka. This is a new rule, there used to be people who sent their girls to Rappaport and their boys to DN but the school wasn't as to the right as it is now, and things continue to become polarized. I think Toras Moshe is more open to other schools, but again from what I understand it is incredibly American and I hear about the English thing from parents who send to the school all the time (and understand that most of them are the type who don't actually care if their kids integrate into Israeli society or not)

I also disagree with Health is a Virture that if you choose AY you are choosing that your son will go to the army because a) no one has to decide that in sixth grade, which is when it ends and b) if you send to a more right wing school you are basically ensuring that should you want your child to go to the army they will feel like an outcast on some level, and to me that's much worse. But it depends where you are holding and what your beliefs are. In my opinion, whatever you choose in Israel you are making a religious decision. Pretending like it's "not drastic" is the head in the sand approach which causes a lot of issues among some of the teenagers in this neighborhood.

Also, I wear flip flops from April-October and denim and I live in RBSA. So do most of my friends. In the Mercaz and all. There are lots of us here, but clearly you don't associate with too many of us Smile Or maybe you just assume we live in Sheinfeld?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 3:49 am
Dena wrote:
it would seem that Ahavas Yisroel is very much standing alone....whereas all the others are interconnected in their acceptance.

if you send to AY then you cant send to the others, yet if you send to one of the others you can chose any of them for the boys and girls.

You can send to AY and TT Moriah and Torat Moshe. Wink

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 8:54 am
All the Americans wearing flip flops and denim in RBS - your feet must be filthy and killing you because flip flops are thin soled and the ground is bumpy and rocky and you must be incredibly hot and uncomfortable. And your Israeli neighbors probably look at you and think those crazy Americans don't know how dress.

OP - a word of advice. When in Rome do as the Romans do. Get a pair of comfortable shoes. Wear wash and wear cotton that doesn't take for ever to dry like denim.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:24 am
amother wrote:
All the Americans wearing flip flops and denim in RBS - your feet must be filthy and killing you because flip flops are thin soled and the ground is bumpy and rocky and you must be incredibly hot and uncomfortable. And your Israeli neighbors probably look at you and think those crazy Americans don't know how dress.

OP - a word of advice. When in Rome do as the Romans do. Get a pair of comfortable shoes. Wear wash and wear cotton that doesn't take for ever to dry like denim.

I wear Fit Flops which are thick soled and very comfortable, and my feet are clean and my streets are paved, so I haven't had any problems with my feet, but I appreciate your concern (not sure where you live- maybe that's what is causing all of this confusion..Maybe you can say which street/area you live in so that OP doesn't move there?)

Also my Israeli neighbors wear thinner soled sandals in the summer, so I doubt they think I'm crazy for that particular reason, and many Israelis outside of RBS wear even crazier shoes in the summer (have you ever been to a mall here?)

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:33 pm
ok, I know this is a very old post but I'm interested in hearing about AY- Now that it's been 2 years, anything change? Smile
I nixed the chareidi schools and though I wouldn't say Im firmly in the Chardal fold, between chareidi and Orot, I felt like I should send to AY. And I'm ok with that decision.

what also interested me about this post was the "flip flop" debate in RBSA.
My husband wouldn't mind RBSA too much but being that there is such a debate and from what I've seen and heard, the chareidi population seems to be taking over bit by bit and I don't want to feel like an outcast in my precious denim.

What is Ramat Shilo like? How much does it differ from the main part of RBSA?
How about Sheinfeld? Do they have a good population sending to AY?

tia!

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:25 pm
Sounds like Ramat Shilo is for you.

Most of RBSa has a more charedi flavor. The DL population is mostly people who have been in town a long time, and mostly concentrated in a few specific areas.

Sheinfeld is much more modern, for the most part. There is a busload sending to AY, but, again, most new people in the neighborhood send to Orot. I feel the AY population is dwindling.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 6:15 am
I know overall the community in Sheinfeld is more modern but at the same time the chareidi population in Rbsa worries me too. It is spreading...

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 6:37 pm
To the imamothers that said they wore flip flops in rbsa, over the past few years since this post has been written, has anything changed? I keep hearing how the chareidi population is spreading in rbsa...

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 11:32 pm
OP, I'm in rbsa. I consider myself 'chareidi' (I guess) and most of my friends wouldn't wear denim/flip flops, but there are plenty that do. It really depends where you live and what you're comfortable doing, no one is going to judge you and stare at you because you're wearing a denim skirt. You have to feel comfortable with that decision. You won't be sending your kids to the most BY schools (presumably) and you'll gravitate towards people who are more like you, so there's no reason to feel you'll stick out. There are plenty of people on dolev/maor area that sound like your kind of hashkafa, as well as ramat shilo, which you may just feel more comfortable in, as the general area will be more similar to what you're used to.

vicki

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 2:51 am
Since when is denim/flip-flops one package? I and others I know in RBS would wear denim publicly when doing something that calls for casual dress but wouldn't be comfortable wearing flip-flops due to showing of bare lower leg, foot and toes.
I know some communities have come to combine those 2 items, but they really are not the same in regard to tzniut.
In addition, Ramat Shilo sounds good but also Maor/HaYarkon/HaYarden/Dolev/lower Refaim/Timna/Raziel/Matta - hmmm did I leave anything out?

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 4:27 am
Ty for street names! That's helpful
I feel like though Sheinfeld may (maybe not!) be tad to left, I may still feel more comfortable in a place that doesn't even consider things like denim skirts a terrible thing...
I'm torn cuz I'm not so comfy being in a mostly DL community either but when push comes to shove... Who is more welcoming to different types- prob DL

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 4:31 am
Haha. In Sheinfeld if you *wouldn't* wear denim skirts people would think you're strange. And there are also women who wear (gasp) pants.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 4:41 am
Ok- but there's enough of a mix in Sheinfeld that you wouldn't be looked at as from Mars if you do something overall differently, no?
At this point I'd consider ramat shilo and Sheinfeld. Though the fact that AY kids are more likely to be in RS is a factor, too.

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 4:49 am
amother wrote:
the chareidi population in Rbsa worries me too. It is spreading...

sounds scary. I hope it's not contagious....

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 4:51 am
My daughter goes to the AY high school in rbs. From her perspective there are lots of denim skirts and flip-flops in rbs, and even some women in pants. You wouldn't be the only one. It kind of depends how self-conscious you are about your mode of dress.

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 4:52 am
amother wrote:
I feel the AY population is dwindling.

I think they are just switching to other schools, like the torani public schools and Moriah ( I personally know a number of families who switched from AY to moriah).

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 4:55 am
Health is a Virture wrote:
I think they are just switching to other schools, like the torani public schools and Moriah ( I personally know a number of families who switched from AY to moriah).

In Sheinfeld?

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 4:59 am
amother wrote:
In Sheinfeld?

in Ramat Shilo and RBSA
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions