Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
8-year old girl finishes shas!

BlueRose52

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 2:06 pm
I can't believe this story. Amazing.
http://www.ynet.co.il/articles......html
Be sure to watch the video too.

mirror

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 2:32 pm
Can you translate video into English?

BlueRose52

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 2:55 pm
Obviously, it was done at a child's level, but nonetheless impressive. In the interview she explains that she used this book: Daf Yomi for Kids

My Hebrew isn't good enough to translate it all.

kima

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 3:24 pm
Well, it's not quite learning shas like people learn shas in school. It's the kids book version of shas, which I imagine is kind of like if someone read the entire "The Midrash Says", it wouldn't be quite accurate to say that he's learned all of midrash on chumash.

Still, it's a beautiful accomplishment worth celebrating. I happen to know the family, the mother is a very accomplished educator in Jewish studies and they're a really wonderful couple who do great things, including running the popular "Shabbat of a Lifetime" program. http://shabbatofalifetime.com

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:48 am
Not quite sure what to make of that...

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 12:06 pm
Nice. I've been trying to keep up with the Yated's weekly story collection on the daf; my husband and I just might finish together in another 5ish years Very Happy

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 3:07 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Nice. I've been trying to keep up with the Yated's weekly story collection on the daf; my husband and I just might finish together in another 5ish years Very Happy

don't forget to invite me to the siyum Study

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 7:30 pm
greenfire wrote:
don't forget to invite me to the siyum Study

Tongue Out It's gonna be somewhere reeeeaaaaalllly big.
I didn't go to the link so don't know the backstory. It's quite likely that she lives in a home where learning is a priority and family members, etc. have some serious learning schedules they keep to, so she was inspired to do something on her level. Kol hakavod! For me, we were all really moved, some of us transformed by the siyum 2 years ago. My husband started going to a daf shiur, now he learns it somewhat be'iyun independently. Following this Yated column gives me a connection that I enjoy. (Because I know myself enough to know that learning inside is not destined to be my personal avoda, leaving all other discussion about women and gemara study aside.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics