Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Will this be able to be eaten with milchigs?

ez-pass

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:00 pm
I want to make potato knishes. If I make in a pot that hasn't been used for actual fleishigs in like three weeks. Coook in ovem that hasnt been officially fleisgigs sonce sunday...and cut onion with parwvw good processor...will I be able to use with Michigan meal as well?

heidi

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:03 pm
Yup

June

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:19 pm
my husband says lechatchila you can not eat the potato knishes with actual dairy. you don't have to wait 6 hours though.

heidi

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:24 pm
a pot that hasn't been used in more than 24 hours reverts to being "pareve"-- we are not noheg to do it lechatchila, but that's the halacha. (for ashkenazim)
A clean oven doesn't stay milchig or flaishig after it's last use.

June

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:35 pm
to clarify: the pot is pareve (as long as there is no meaty residue). but since there are fleishig bliyos, you can't eat the knish together with dairy (I.e. drinking milk while eating the knish). you can eat dairy afterwards.

heidi

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:37 pm
OP, I completely disagree with June (or her husband as the case may be)-- ask your local Orthodox rabbi

June

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:42 pm
heidi wrote:
OP, I completely disagree with June (or her husband as the case may be)-- ask your local Orthodox rabbi

yes, do ask your rabbi. neither I, nor my husband, are rabbis. although my husband is studying for semicha and just finished this particular topic and took your disagreement as a challenge.... now he's looking it up in his shulchan aruch.... this is why I shouldn't go on imamother while he's home... Rolling Eyes

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:45 pm
It is my understanding that you cannot make something in a Fleishig pot (Ayno Ben Yomo) with the intention to eat it with Milchigs. If you have leftovers of something Parve cooked in such a pot, it would be fine to eat it with Milchig, but you cannot make something with the intention to use it with Milchig.

The food is 100% Parve though.

questioner

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:56 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
It is my understanding that you cannot make something in a Fleishig pot (Ayno Ben Yomo) with the intention to eat it with Milchigs. If you have leftovers of something Parve cooked in such a pot, it would be fine to eat it with Milchig, but you cannot make something with the intention to use it with Milchig.

The food is 100% Parve though.

That's how I understand it also. Parve, and b'dieved can be eaten with milchigs, but shouldn't be made l'chatchila to eat with milchigs.
So it's one of those questions where it would have been better not to ask and make the potato knishes and then you could eat with milchigs, but if you ask first, then you can't do it. Pretty confusing.

ez-pass

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 7:10 pm
Thanks for all your answers! I ended up making them fleishigs and added chicken to them. However thanks for the answers. I do intend to by myself a pareve set of pots, knives, and cutlery so I won't have these questions again.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 7:51 pm
pareve utensils & pots solve a lot of issues

abs

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 7:54 pm
The onion was put into a flaishig pot. That causes problems (according to my Rabbi aka husband).

Pineapple

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 8:57 pm
heidi wrote:
a pot that hasn't been used in more than 24 hours reverts to being "pareve"-- we are not noheg to do it lechatchila, but that's the halacha. (for ashkenazim)
A clean oven doesn't stay milchig or flaishig after it's last use.

Not according to everyone
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen