Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nursing school with GED!??

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:31 pm
So the high school I went to didn't wanna give me a diploma (long story) so I went ahead and got my GED. I didn't study for the test was a spur of the moment thing and I scored 2700. Not good I know. I really want to go to nursing school - will I be able to get excepted with such a low GED score? I know you have to take the nln but does the GED score play a big role in exceptance? Btw I live in ny area and would love to go to touro because it works so well with the frum women schedule.

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:48 pm
I'm not an expert on nursing school requirements or Touro, but the important part in the acceptance process is that you *have* your GED -- not how well you did.

Here's my recommendation: since a nursing degree will require significant prerequisite coursework, consider starting coursework at a community college or an accredited online college. Focus on making sure that you have a firm foundation in writing and math, and be sure to utilize any and all remedial services to help you in areas where your preparation may be weak.

After fulfilling basic requirements, gaining confidence in your academic abilities, and demonstrating your ability to successfully complete college-level work, you stand an excellent chance of being admitted to a nursing program, and your GED scores will be irrelevant.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:53 pm
I have a GED (I don't recall my grade but I did quite well) and I went to Touro PA school. I don't think anyone ever asked for my GED scores though I could be wrong. One thing I cannot reiterate enough is that no matter how convenient it is DO NOT go to Touro nursing school. Last I heard it was an associates program and not accredited. Regardless if that changed Touro is known as a joke school and it's hard enough to break into the field from a reputable school don't add on the stigma of Touro. Good luck!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 2:06 pm
Op here, oh no touro no reliable in nursing dept??? I thought it would be grt because of the no school on yomtov thing. I have a few kids under 5th grade. How did you go through nursing school? With kids? Anyone go through school with kids how did you manage? Btw I donot have much family here that would be able to helpe out. And my husband has a very demanding career with mang long days. Anyone went to touro nursing and what has your experience been like?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 2:26 pm
Purchase NY has a nursing school
you do not need to take a test
and they give out lot's of scholorships

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
I have a GED (I don't recall my grade but I did quite well) and I went to Touro PA school. I don't think anyone ever asked for my GED scores though I could be wrong. One thing I cannot reiterate enough is that no matter how convenient it is DO NOT go to Touro nursing school. Last I heard it was an associates program and not accredited. Regardless if that changed Touro is known as a joke school and it's hard enough to break into the field from a reputable school don't add on the stigma of Touro. Good luck!
And how about Touro PA school? Do you think it was worth geting your degree from them? Is it easy to find jobs for PAs?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
And how about Touro PA school? Do you think it was worth geting your degree from them? Is it easy to find jobs for PAs?

Absolutely not. I seriously regret going there. I went because it was the kosher way of getting a degree. They don't teach to be a good practitioner they teach to pass the test. Before going through it I thought that was the same thing but knowing what key words lead to a specific diagnosis doesn't help you formulate that diagnosis as part of your differential. Besides, patients don't come in telling you the keywords (for instance patients don't walk in saying they've been coughing up "current jelly sputum" which is test keyword for a specific type of pneumonia). I did quite well on my boards but I was clueless starting out. Even on things most mothers know. I encourage my boss to not hire from my school and jokingly tell her to even fire me if she can (when I'm getting overly melodramatic about their worth). Hey, if you want to go to Touro go for it just know that nursing is a VERY hard field to break into and Touro does NOT have a good name (and in that regard, yes, it is easier for PAs to get jobs).

mommyhood

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 3:01 pm
amother wrote:
Op here, oh no touro no reliable in nursing dept??? I thought it would be grt because of the no school on yomtov thing. I have a few kids under 5th grade. How did you go through nursing school? With kids? Anyone go through school with kids how did you manage? Btw I donot have much family here that would be able to helpe out. And my husband has a very demanding career with mang long days. Anyone went to touro nursing and what has your experience been like?

My sister went there. It is an associates but you can get your RN with their degree. most NY area hospitals require a bachelors but you can do that online if you want after your associates but it's prob not the fastest way to get your degree. My sister got a hospital job but many of her classmates had hard times finding jobs.

avigail

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 4:36 pm
I have no opinion on the ged part of this but especially if you have a few little kids, I am not so sure I'd recommend nursing school right now. School will be hard with little kids, and especially the ny area, it's really hard to find jobs now.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 5:18 pm
Adelphi has a good BSN nursing program. You need to take the TEAS to get in-easier than NLN I think. If you want a program with no shabbos and yomtov classes thru Adelphi, then you need to apply through The New Seminary-Reb. Bulka

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 5:22 pm
AFAIK, GED ok for any nursing program as long as u take the required test. (NLN or TEAS)

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:01 pm
My husband is in an accelerated nursing program and they accommodate him. It's difficult but not impossible. He had lots of make up sessions this semester but it's still doable.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 8:45 pm
What's the big deal about going to a regular school and telling them you can't come on Yom Tov for religious reasons? I'm in grad school and do that. Sure it can be hard but it's not sooo terrible that I would go to a subpar school just to avoid the Yom Tov issue!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 8:59 pm
Op here, I don't care to tell the school I'm religious but it would be extremely difficult to take care if my family during that time especially because my husband won't be around to help because of his extremely long hrs
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics