Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Lets liberate ourselves from grossly expensive shaitels
1  2  3  4  5  Next

imissdaddy

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 6:30 am
Has anyone heard of or used Wrapunzel.com teichels? They look wonderful. They are beautiful, comfortable and so versatile - everyday you can have a new look and colorscheme. I hop we he can adopt this new type of head covering. They don't cost a month's mortgage and you don;t have to keep getting them washed and set. I think its time we started a revolution and take up this new way of living. Just like the color black in clothing has become so entrenched in our frum communities, doesn't mean we have to remain entrenched in shaitel wearing - they come under such scrutiny as it is.

Let's share how we like them - they are having a 15% off sale - and I want to order mine before Monday. They have how-to-videos which are so easy . and inspiring. They also have warm pashminas for the winter. Everything is $7 to $20 - we're crazy not to sign on the this idea. Let's go ladies! I wan't to be out of my shaitel - I hate it. LOL my head itches just thinking about them.

cinnamon

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 6:50 am
No thank you. I like my sheitels.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 6:55 am
Sweety, I personally only wear mitpachot and hats so you are talking to the choir with me, BUT, many women out there ONLY wear wigs and they are going to only wear wigs because that is their minhag.

I dont think a post like yours will change their minds on that one.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 7:10 am
I could also uncover.

Not that I compare chas veshalom but I need my feminity and to like myself in the mirror. I also think many pretty tichels are just odd in every day life. And many just are odd per se.

No thanks. Unless you mean to wear one over my sheitel - this can look very cute.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 7:12 am
Maybe you can convince a sheitel-wearer to forgo a very expensive custom real hair sheitel in lieu of a less pricey synthetic (Dolly can give tips on this), but women who, like shabbatiscoming said, wear sheitels for reasons of hashkafa or minhag aren't going to drastically change their look and give them up to wear a colorful printed scarf.

Happy18

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 8:11 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Sweety, I personally only wear mitpachot and hats so you are talking to the choir with me, BUT, many women out there ONLY wear wigs and they are going to only wear wigs because that is their minhag.

I dont think a post like yours will change their minds on that one.

This. Additionally unless you live in Israel or a very Jewish area where this style is the norm ( can't think of any outside of Israel - if there is I'd love to know) it could actually be considered not tznius as it would attract more attention than a sheitel.

miami85

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 8:48 am
I live in an area where it is not uncommon for women to wear mitpachot, as well as I see many women of other ethnicities wearing their traditional head coverings (whether Muslim, Indian, or Rastafarian etc.) I see a time and place for both. I don't think women's shaitels need to be a crazy LONG as I see some of them, and I wear mine as little as possible, I don't have the knack for the color schemeing that the wrapunzel style needs.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 8:53 am
Around me there's everything. By Jews and non Jews.
That said, I'm still me. Smile

sky

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 9:13 am
If I would show up to work like that I don't think anyone would be able to take me seriously. Even if they are wrong that is the reality.

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 9:24 am
My idea to liberate the ladies from the tyranny and oppression of the (expensive) Whigs is to adopt the very same techniques the companies use to disguise garbage hair as finder quality and to use those techniques to restore old sheitals.

To that end I have been successful. I have used range of different products after doing research both on the Internet and in beauty supply stores catering to minorities. I plan to also try a certain product used on show animals.

First I give the sheitals an intense conditioning bath in either silicone and or non silicone products and apply heat initially while conditioning. I leave the product in for several days. I use different products after the hair is rinsed out before it is dry. I then use spray shines on the hair. To date I have restored 4 old sheitals that I gave to my daughter for pay to wearable condition. My goal is to meet and/or exceed the deceptive practices of the sheital sellers. I consider it fraud to sell hair as one quality that can't be maintained after 2 washings. I had this issue with Milano, Freeda, and a wig store on route 59 in Monsey. Certain of my sheitals are simply old.

I will be reporting on this when I develop what I consider the optimum recipe for restoration.

Is any ladies have tricks to share, kindly p.m. me.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 9:29 am
So there is a compromise....I got a sheitel for $300 (not synthetic) and it isn't quite as silky but in the cut I got it, it looks gorgeous because I don't need it flowing down my back.

But then again I also wear tichels, actually I usually do. I'm not sure it ends up being much cheaper than a $300 sheitel when you don't have just 2 tichels, because face it, who only has 2. You want a few solids and a few patterned in different color schemes and some pashminas for the winter and lighter weight for the summer, and then nicer for shabbos, and some accessories to accent it, and accessories to build it up (volumizers)...and it can easily be $300. Not that it's not more fun, but my point is that it can easily be brought up to scale with some sheitels of lower price tags.

(Yesterday I had fun wearing a rainbow pashmina (with a pin), but today I am more subdued and I have my volumizer and my black/grey one. The only thing I am wearing the same as yesterday is the wig band, which I wear with sheitels as well, so I didn't include that in my cheshbon.)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 9:39 am
Chutz la'aretz, it's not so simple professionally.
And I like Wrapunzel, I love the women behind it, I think it's a fine option - btw, you know we have a thread or two on it? - though not a look everyone can or wants to rock.

And yes, they have great accessories - pashminas, jewelry, even if you're not going to wear them as intended.

Now what do you think about moderately expensive sheitels?

cookiejar

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 7:02 am
Why is anyone interested in liberating anyone else? Liberate yourself! I personally do not feel at all oppressed by shaitels or their prices. I buy what I want, wear what I want, spend what I want!

CPenzias

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 7:14 am
Mitpachot are not professional looking. I teach in public school. I need a wig. I didn't buy an expensive wig til 4 years ago when I started working. I just bought a michal fall for a little more than $400. That's bit bad imo

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 7:55 am
imissdaddy wrote:
Has anyone heard of or used Wrapunzel.com teichels? They look wonderful. They are beautiful, comfortable and so versatile - everyday you can have a new look and colorscheme. I hop we he can adopt this new type of head covering. They don't cost a month's mortgage and you don;t have to keep getting them washed and set. I think its time we started a revolution and take up this new way of living. Just like the color black in clothing has become so entrenched in our frum communities, doesn't mean we have to remain entrenched in shaitel wearing - they come under such scrutiny as it is.

Let's share how we like them - they are having a 15% off sale - and I want to order mine before Monday. They have how-to-videos which are so easy . and inspiring. They also have warm pashminas for the winter. Everything is $7 to $20 - we're crazy not to sign on the this idea. Let's go ladies! I wan't to be out of my shaitel - I hate it. LOL my head itches just thinking about them.

It's a very nice idea and by all means, give your Shaitel up if that's what makes you happy, but, I love my long, beautiful shaitels. I think I look pretty in them and I'm not giving them up.

And it is nothing to do with minhag. I have no minhags regarding head covering. I can do whatever I want.

Last edited by mommy3b2c on Fri, Nov 28 2014, 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 7:55 am
cookiejar wrote:
Why is anyone interested in liberating anyone else? Liberate yourself! I personally do not feel at all oppressed by shaitels or their prices. I buy what I want, wear what I want, spend what I want!

Thats great for you, but what about all the other ladies who can't afford to spend what they want? They want to fit in with everyone else and not wear a sheital that looks like it is made of horse hair. With tradition so strongly entrenched there is no way they are walking out their house in anything less than a sheital. I know of several men who were collecting money to buy their wife a new sheital. I simply can't say well Squishy is fine and the heck with everyone else.

CPenzias

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 7:59 am
OP
Are you selling these wraps? Your original post sounds like an advertisement

Yocheved84

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 8:05 am
The tichel kit looks beautiful. But I fear I'd never be able to get it to look like the photo, esp since I've only ever purchased pre-tieds!

dee's mommy

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 8:07 am
Imissdaddy, while I am one happy Wrapunzel customer, wearing these wraps where it is not so common almost exclusively, I haven't thrown away my wigs.

The purpose of Wrapunzel was to give women a different option, not to tell them how to cover their hair. It is about looking and feeling beautiful, and a lot of ladies feel most beautiful in a wig. Some feel differently.

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 8:18 am
Squishy wrote:
My idea to liberate the ladies from the tyranny and oppression of the (expensive) Whigs is to adopt the very same techniques the companies use to disguise garbage hair as finder quality and to use those techniques to restore old sheitals.

To that end I have been successful. I have used range of different products after doing research both on the Internet and in beauty supply stores catering to minorities. I plan to also try a certain product used on show animals.

First I give the sheitals an intense conditioning bath in either silicone and or non silicone products and apply heat initially while conditioning. I leave the product in for several days. I use different products after the hair is rinsed out before it is dry. I then use spray shines on the hair. To date I have restored 4 old sheitals that I gave to my daughter for pay to wearable condition. My goal is to meet and/or exceed the deceptive practices of the sheital sellers. I consider it fraud to sell hair as one quality that can't be maintained after 2 washings. I had this issue with Milano, Freeda, and a wig store on route 59 in Monsey. Certain of my sheitals are simply old.

I will be reporting on this when I develop what I consider the optimum recipe for restoration.

Is any ladies have tricks to share, kindly p.m. me.

sounds awesome. Maybe you could set up a website with these various techniques and add to it as you find even better ones.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels