Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Lubavitch schechita

amother

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 2:41 pm
anon because I am embarrassed I do not know the exact answer to this question.

As a Lubavitcher we keep chabad schechita...but I want to know the source. So for those of you that also eat only chabad meat and chicken , can you explain why we do this? Was this a directive from the rebbe, for all chassidim? All Jews? Was it meant to be permanent? If possible could you cite the sicha where it is spoken about or where the minhagim dealing with schechita are discussed in the alter rebbes shulchan arch? Basically any info on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

Please no bashing, I couldn't post under respectfully learning about other sects of Judaism-safe haven as amother, so please be respectful of my custom. Thank you

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 4:11 pm
let's see - it all started about 30 years ago when something went wrong in an episodic event ... needless to say there is no way to say it without someone getting insulted - I do believe you should ask your query under the lubavitch section

oliveoil

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 5:40 pm
To my understanding, the idea is that if there's a kashrus question, a Lubavitch rav is asked. The same way we (Lubavitchers) would ask a Chabad rav most of our questions, this is not different.

miyodea

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 6:55 pm
The Alter Rebbe held from a steel knife, which was smoother and sharper, but a relatively new invention. At that time in history, lubavitch shechita meant a steel instead of iron knife.

Now everyone uses steel. Today lubavitch shechita is about shochtim (and mashgichim) that learn chassidus, because a shochet has to be a yore shomayim, and chassidus affects one's fear of heaven.

An interesting story: the Chasidim in Vilna during the time of the Alter Rebbe wanted a lubavitch (steel knife) shochet. They asked the Alter Rebbe and he answered that they shouldn't appoint a new shochet and could rely on the current one and the iron knife.

gittelchana

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 7:01 pm
It's long and complicated.

There's no directive of the Rebbe about this.

It came about after ****** people almost killed two Lubavitchers. The Rebbe spoke about not being able to trust the Rabbonim of that community because they did nothing and said nothing about it.

There's an element of keeping Lubavitcher Chumros and Hiddurim.

There's an element of protectionism.

There's an element of ignorance.

There's an element of my Tatty said so. Wink

oliveoil

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 7:31 pm
gittelchana wrote:
It's long and complicated.

There's no directive of the Rebbe about this.

It came about after ****** people almost killed two Lubavitchers. The Rebbe spoke about not being able to trust the Rabbonim of that community because they did nothing and said nothing about it.

There's an element of keeping Lubavitcher Chumros and Hiddurim.

There's an element of protectionism.

There's an element of ignorance.

There's an element of my Tatty said so. Wink

I think you're conflating two issues.

One is using Lubavitch Shechita. the other is not using any products that only have ****** hechsherim because of the above-mentioned incident.

SYA

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 7:52 pm
There's a story of chassidim in a town in Russia approaching the Tzemach Tzedek as to what was more important a Chassidishe Rov or a Chassidishe Shochet (the other would be Litvish). The Tzemach Tzedek answered that it is better to have a Chassidishe Shochet.

Currently, Lubavitch shechita requires a shochet to learn chassidus before davening and to grow a beard (no trimming or cutting - as al pi chassidus, a beard is a symbol of yiras shomayim), go to the mikvah every morning, davening b'arichus...

-edited 11:08 pm

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 9:53 pm
OP, my DH is Lubavitch and a shochet. He's out of town right now, but if you PM me after Dec 2nd I'll have him get the answers for me to give to you.

Dina_B613

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 12:19 am
Okay, I have to ask: what is the ****** people that almost killed two Lubavitchers? *Feeling in the dark*

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 6:08 am
no need to go back 30 years ... perhaps people were not trying to rile up a crowd for a fight ... Idea
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics