Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you own a microwave?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you own a microwave?
yes, of course. how can anyone manage without one?  
 31%  [ 62 ]
yes, but only to warm up a few things here and there.  
 39%  [ 77 ]
no way.  
 21%  [ 41 ]
other (not sure what that could be, but here is that option :) )  
 7%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 195

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 9:26 am
gordon ramsey would throw you out of your kitchen if you used a microwave

amother

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 10:15 am
I bring 2 when I rent vacation houses. It is much simpler and less time consuming than cooking on vacation.

monseychick

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 7:55 pm
freidasima wrote:
I'm an "other". We have a microwave but we don't use it for food really. At most an emergency warming up for a roll that needs to be eaten immediately and for that we don't even have the five minutes for a toaster oven. We basically use it to warm up hot packs for aching muscles etc. Not for food as it really is unhealthy and kills the vitamins. We also don't have it in the kitchen but somewhere where the radiation won't hit anyone.

FS, you do realize that the WiFi in your office , is WAAAY more than a puny lil microwave oven...

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 10:42 pm
Yes and I find it super helpful and convenient. I actually don't know anyone who doesn't have a microwave tbh.

mazal555

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 10:46 pm
I am an other. I am afraid of a microwave, my dh insists on having it. I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole and he doesn't cook at all so he almost never uses it either.

Barbara

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 11:24 pm
Every study I've seen concludes that microwaves do not impact nutritional values of most foods. Indeed, they may retain greater nutritional values of veggies.

And the risks from the electromagnetic radiation are minuscule.

The problem is that microwaves don't cook well. We use it to steam veggies and to reheat foods without drying them out. And for quick oatmeal.

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 12:37 am
Barbara wrote:
Every study I've seen concludes that microwaves do not impact nutritional values of most foods. Indeed, they may retain greater nutritional values of veggies.

And the risks from the electromagnetic radiation are minuscule.

The problem is that microwaves don't cook well. We use it to steam veggies and to reheat foods without drying them out. And for quick oatmeal.

As I understand it, microwave radiation does destroy certain vitamins...but so does heat (I.e., conventional cooking).

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 4:21 am
I have one for meat, and when I move I'm going to get another one for dairy. They're great for reheating things, but I rarely cook with it except to steam vegetables.

I really want to be able to melt cheese over things, or to warm up my coffee. coffee Very Happy

oliveoil

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 9:28 am
I grew up with one but don't have one now, by choice. I heat up on the stovetop or oven.

I know lots of other ppl who also don't have one.

ValleyMom

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 11:28 pm
We don't have A microwave we have TWO microwaves.

And when the fleshing one started acting up my husband was ready to run out at 9:00 at night to pick up one.

I had a fit because the microwave was super expensive and I was praying it would come back to life-maybe reboot overnight.

BH it did!!!
For the money we paid it should last a long long looooong time.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 12:57 pm
Other because we don't have one now and probably won't any time soon, but I'm not opposed to them. I grew up with a milchig microwave oven, but DH and I haven't had room in the kitchen in any of the three apartments we've lived in since getting married. The first one barely had room for a toaster oven, hot plate, and mini-fridge, so I just got used to cooking low-tech.

madres

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 4:40 pm
Voted other, because don't have a microwave but have two microwave! Can't imagine living without .

chanamichaelah007

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 5:17 pm
No because they ruin the nutrient content of food. Very unhealthy.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 5:23 pm
I don't necessarily like my microwave for food, it makes it taste funny and also rubbery.
That said we DO have one. I don't know how someone with kids can't have one lol. I use it to sterilise bottles, defrost immediate pitta breads for the kids, re heat leftovers for lunch etc, melt stuff for baking and defrosting chicken or fish etc.

We have two at work also (one not kosher one kosher) I can't imagine not having one there it would be a nightmare.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 5:44 pm
freidasima wrote:
We also don't have it in the kitchen but somewhere where the radiation won't hit anyone.

When I was pregnant with my first our microwave was about my stomach level. My dh always told me not to stand in front of it when it was on. Now almost 20 years later, it's my head level and he doesn't say a word Smile . Either he only cares about an unborn child or eh, we've been together so long anyway. Rolling Eyes

imasoftov

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 6:16 pm
madres wrote:
Voted other, because don't have a microwave but have two microwave! Can't imagine living without .

The Claim: Microwave Ovens Kill Nutrients in Food
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10.....?_r=0

etky

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 5:14 am
imasoftov wrote:
The Claim: Microwave Ovens Kill Nutrients in Food
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10.....?_r=0

Glad for this reassurance. I do often use the microwave to steam veggies. I have a microwave steamer with a basket so the veggies do not touch the tiny bit of water that I put in on the bottom. When I'm cooking for Shabbat it's nice to be able to free up a burner by doing the veggies in the microwave instead of on the stove. Other than that, we use it for defrosting bread, melting things for baking and for reheating individual plates of leftovers - for this use we find the microwave the most indispensible. If you're careful with timing, we've found that the leftovers actually come out fresher tasting and moister than when heated in the oven (rubberiness and dryness result from overcooking which can unfortunately happen in just a few seconds) and it's so much quicker and more energy efficient. Oh, I also toast nuts and seeds in the microwave instead of in the oven.

chani8

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 5:40 am
chanamichaelah007 wrote:
No because they ruin the nutrient content of food. Very unhealthy.

Is this true?

ETA - Sorry, I just saw the link about nutrients not being hurt by microwaving.

However, as FS pointed out, there is a possible threat of radiation leaking from the microwave.

And not about nutrients, but just chemical make up in general, does microwaving put radiation into the food? Or alter it in some other unhealthy manner?

Last edited by chani8 on Mon, Dec 01 2014, 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total

AlwaysThinking

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 5:43 am
It's meant to be the best way of steaming veggies - because of the short cooking time, apparently less nutrients are destroyed. I was just reading that yesterday, interestingly. I'll have to find the study.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 5:44 am
Riff wrote:
It's meant to be the best way of steaming veggies - because of the short cooking time, apparently less nutrients are destroyed. I was just reading that yesterday, interestingly. I'll have to find the study.
I love my steamed veggies from the stove in a pot with a little bit of water. Doesnt take that much tim at all. Maybe 5 minutes.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics