Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Homeschooling Dilemma

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 12:02 pm
We currently use an online program for our 6 year old daughter. She is in 1st grade. For kindergarten, she was in an advanced preschool/kindergarten program at a local school plus we supplemented at home. She should have been easily able to jump into first grade. However, many of the online programs components changed over the past year, and did is behind where they want her to be. I inquired about her doing the areas she needs more time in through their kindergarten curriculum (phonics), while remaining in 1st grade in the other areas and online classes. I was told no, without an IEP, it has to be the full grade level curriculum, no mix and match option.
(Which is frustrating, because she'd probably fly through her weak areas in a month!)
Dd is very bright and a fast learner! She will be 7 in February, so I am very hesitant to put an almost 7 year old into kindergarten.

What do you all think would be a good solution? I'm totally open to any ideas at this point!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 12:45 pm
I would try keeping her in first, and supplementing her phonics with other materials.

For reading/phonics, we really liked:
- The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading (Susan Wise Bauer)
- Explode the Code
- Bob Books
- worksheets (you can find a lot of nice freebies online, try TeachersPayTeachers.com for a starting point)

mazal555

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 1:09 pm
I would homeschool independently for a month or 2 and then try to re enroll.

SplitPea

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 9:53 pm
maybe this online group is not the place for you. there are soooo many great programs out there that you can be in charge. you can set the pace and you are in complete control. The great thing about homschooling is YOU are in charge of your child's eduction. it seems this program is keeping you from that.

We love the math program "math you see" and are using bobs books to work with phonics (we are young still)

I found this site So amazing for learning about whats available out there http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/

Don't be afraid to branch out on your own. worse case scenario it does not work for you and you are out a couple hundred bucks and you re enroll your dd. Best case scenario she gets her wings and learns to fly and you can be in complete control of the subject matter and the pace.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling