Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Chosson/kallah apartments - info?

MimiMommy

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:23 pm
I just heard about this thing called "chosson kallah apartment." Apparently it's a place where chosson/kallah can stay temporarily (week-10 days) while their apartment is being furnished, or before they go to Israel. Does anyone know what this entails? And what the going rate is? Can one really make $1,000 by renting out their basement for a week?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 11:02 pm
MimiMommy wrote:
I just heard about this thing called "chosson kallah apartment." Apparently it's a place where chosson/kallah can stay temporarily (week-10 days) while their apartment is being furnished, or before they go to Israel. Does anyone know what this entails? And what the going rate is? Can one really make $1,000 by renting out their basement for a week?
I have heard of people renting out their furnished basement apartment temporarily.
I do not think it is $1,000 a week. I could be wrong but I was under the impression that it was more like $400 a week/$1,600 a month.

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 3:30 am
$1,000/week?? That sounds like a lot, but I guess it depends if you live in Tokyo, Manhattan, or the Negev.

One can get a nice vacation apartment on airbnb for less than that around here. That sounds nicer than living in someone's basement.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:20 am
Scratching my head here. Why can't it be any furnished rental? We have some from one night (or 2?? sorry, fried brain) on.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 12:33 am
ra_mom wrote:
I have heard of people renting out their furnished basement apartment temporarily.
I do not think it is $1,000 a week. I could be wrong but I was under the impression that it was more like $400 a week/$1,600 a month.

I did some research for you.
I do not know where you are located, but in BP the going rate for furnished basement apartments seems to be $1200-$1300 per month and most people renting out require 3 month minimum.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 3:03 am
Why don't they set up their new apartment before the wedding? Is that not what most people do?

Though I can see this being a good thing for people staying near parents for sheva brachos and then moving out of town/Israel. Even if it's not much of a "thing" yet you could totally make one yourself and if you spread the word in the right places I'm sure you'd get takers.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 8:47 am
seeker wrote:
Why don't they set up their new apartment before the wedding? Is that not what most people do?

Though I can see this being a good thing for people staying near parents for sheva brachos and then moving out of town/Israel. Even if it's not much of a "thing" yet you could totally make one yourself and if you spread the word in the right places I'm sure you'd get takers.

Yes, it's mostly for people who will be living in a different area and just need to be local for [some] sheva brachos.

Not every locale has apartments available to rent by the night/week, so this is definitely a need in those places.

morah

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 9:04 am
seeker wrote:

It's not always possible to be all set up before, especially if you're looking at a hot area for young frum couples. The apartment we were about to get fell through at the last minute and left us scrambling. We found something else and signed the lease the day before the wedding. We had to wait 10 days to move in.

sky

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 10:08 am
In Lakewood we rented a "furnished temporary apt" the first 6 months we were married. I was working full time and didn't buy any furniture before we were married. and was moving to a new city so didn't have time to look for an apt. It was very convenient.
We rented a one bedroom apt that came with 2 beds, dresser, table, chairs, couch, bathroom, kitchen, washer and dryer. We supplied all linen, towels, kitchen utensils, etc.
It was under $700 per month. this was a few years ago so it could be it went up. My sister-in-law rented one for about 2 months before moving to Israel after her wedding and the price was still similar. I believe they rented by the month.

There are guest\shabbos apts that are furnished and include linen, towels, and basic kitchen supplies. Those go for more because it includes the extras and more cleaning.
http://www.reservekosher.com/l......html

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 1:33 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Yes, it's mostly for people who will be living in a different area and just need to be local for [some] sheva brachos.

Not every locale has apartments available to rent by the night/week, so this is definitely a need in those places.
So why cant the family of the wedding parties ask around to their friends/neighbors if the couple can stay in an extra bedroom for a time.
Thats what we did. My husband and I met in Israel. We got married in america. We stayed there through sheva brachot. My in laws stayed at one neigbor and my husband and I stayed at another, for a week. (My husband's family was/is in Israel and SOuth Africa) Why the need for a specific apartment? We managed. For part of the week we foung a family that was going away, but for the rest of the time we stayed at my parents (a few days from the wedding we stayed in a hotel) but why the need for a specific apartment? You make arrangements and make do with what there is.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 1:41 pm
It isn't a must, and that's what many people do. But a new couple generally appreciates privacy. And sometimes they need a few weeks in which case it would be stressful and uncomfortable not to have their own apartment.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 9:35 pm
It is nice for newlyweds to have privacy, and not so nice to use neighbors as a hotel. Of course if there's no alternative and/or no money you make do, but I can see why an apartment would be preferred.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics