Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What's wrong with pj's all the time?
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 2:17 pm
Do what works for u. Who cares? Ppl will always find something to say .
By the end of this summer I realized I had 2 pjs only for my son and he barely wore them. Most nights he went to sleep in shorts and tshirt that some mornings were changed before leaving the house and other mornings weren't . Maybe it sounds crazy to people but who cares? As long as he was happy and clean- I'm good.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 2:19 pm
Reesa wrote:
Can you dress your baby in velour stretchies? They are great for sleeping and look good during the day as well. In the winter you can totally get away with it. You may spend a little more to get ones that look nice but that's the whole wardrobe.
The other option is putting the baby to sleep in acceptable day clothes that are comfortable.

Be careful with velour strechies if the baby is walking. The ones I have don't have a grip on the bottom and my baby slipped so much I stopped using them.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 2:49 pm
All those who say what's the difference have you ever smelled your baby's pj's? most 15 months old sleep 12 hours a night and drink before bed. so that's 12 hours of wet diapers and sometimes poop. during the day most baby's are changed every 3-4 hours not 12. so yes baby pj's smell in the morning as do my 5 year old pj's because she wears pull ups. That's besides teaching routine to your child there are plenty of warm cozy clothing and if you really want him in footies put on a clean pair but don't think the pj's are clean in the morning .

spring13

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 3:36 pm
I don't think it's a huge deal and I would never comment to someone's face about it like that. It's not cool that people have made unsolicited judgey comments to your face.

But, a couple of things. If your child is walking, then he should be wearing shoes outside, especially in winter - it drives me crazy to see little barefoot babies running around on the woodchips at the playground in 35 degree weather (and I'm generally a fan of going barefoot). And I've never found that shoes fit well over feetie pajamas.

If you dislike regular one-piece outfits because of the issue of keeping socks on, try skidders or some other comfy pair of slippers/shoes. Payless has knockoff Uggs, that kind of thing. And if it's a question of being comfy, there are plenty of soft/cozy/fleecy kids clothes out there. If it bothers you that people bother you, then let him wear those as pj's as well as clothing instead of pj's as clothing.

Also, I think what people are saying about establishing routine does matter. My 5 year old wears a crown to school half the time and I don't fuss over how perfectly her tights match her skirt. It's not that he has to look exactly like everyone else or like a Gap ad or something, it's just that some things are part of life and should be gotten used to at some point.

Sherri

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 3:38 pm
What's wrong with pj's all the time? (-All of these have been mentioned already)

I think it's an important part of routine to get dressed in the morning. Even if it's just into sweat clothes.
I think that pj's don't usually fit well for toddler to walk and play around (and footed pj's sometimes can be slippery).
And I think it's important to have baby dressed in clean clothing. Most (if not all) of the diaper-wearing children I've been exposed to have urine-smelling pj's in the morning.

The first and last would be reason for me to think twice if I see a child consistently kept in last night's pj's all day. I wouldn't say it to the mom, but I would notice, and I don't think it's because I am bored.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 3:53 pm
I think a kid that age needs to be changed a couple of times a day. My baby has a soaking smelly nappy every morning. I wash his pjs after one wear. Very rarely I might put my baby to sleep in his clothes, especially in the summer when they aren't that different in style, but I always put on clean clothes in the morning.

abs

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 4:34 pm
I think its better than those I know who dress their school aged kids the night before to avoid the rush in the morning! But a 16 month old is a BABY! Who are you dressing him for, anyway?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 5:07 pm
mommy2b2c wrote:
My son once went to play group in the winter with shorts on top of his jeans.

Also, with white shorts and uggs in June.

Shorts on top of long sweatpants=standard jogger/runner uniform in cold weather.
Shorts and uggs in June=standard secular young-woman uniform in the big city.with or without tights.

notme

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 7:16 pm
I think it's good for the routine to get dressed in clothes every morning and for them to know now it's day time and we wear clothes. but really if he makes you crazy I would leave him in pjs too.

wiki

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 8:47 pm
My toddler is also really wiggly at getting-dressed time in the morning. I find that the only way to get the clothing on without it taking a half-hour of chasing and dragging is to pick the entire outfit the night before and leave it at the changing table, ready for the next morning. This way, getting dressed can be accomplished really quickly.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:19 am
Pita wrote:
I let my son go to school every day in a lion costume until the teachers asked me to stop because all the other kids wanted one, too.

Should have asked if you could keep on doing it if all the other children brought costumes, too ...

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 11:24 am
ElTam wrote:
If you have enough bandwidth to be "alarmed" at a baby in PJs (or even to notice what a baby is wearing), you need to get some hobbies, doe some chessed, go to a shiur, SOMETHING.

Kids grow and mature; leaving them in jammies at 15 months is not going to be a kid who won't get dressed at five. It does not mean you neglectful, depressed, or don't care. It means you care more about your child's comfort than what other people think.

Exactly.

I am actually shocked at people's responses. 0-9 month is okay to wear a footie, but twelve months is to old? At twelve months I think my son pretty much only wore footies. I changed him into a fresh, clean, cozy footie every morning after his bath. Then I sent him to the babysitter. He wore footies on shabbos until 2.5 years of age. I assure you, no one ever thought my kids were neglected. Exactly the opposite. I am obsessed with cleanliness and clothing, and everyone always complimented me on my adorable, clean babies.

Elbowmac

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 11:46 am
Footy pajamas are so cozy! As long as they are clean and fresh, what's the big deal?

I certainly wouldn't leave a 15 month old in the same PJs he slept in day after day, but I don't think it's an issue at all to get him "dressed" into a new pair of pajamas each morning. Why does he need to "dress" up at home? When I'm home, I also like to wear more comfortable clothing!

And routine? Now? A 15 month old has his whole life ahead of him to learn about routines. IYH, he will spend years and years having the same routine of waking up in the morning, getting dressed, eating breakfast, and going to school.

After 2-3 years of doing this--if not a lot sooner--I guarantee he'll figure out the concept that 'in the morning, people usually get dressed and start their day...'
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics