Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
A question for those with cleaning help
Previous  1  2

sky

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 6:57 pm
I don't.
I can't let her do most things, and those that I can I wouldn't (For example I cannot let her mop the floor even if she starts on her own, but I can tell her to spot clean areas on the floor) .
I have no problem washing my own dishes (and I can't have her wash dishes for the next day - except Friday that is yom tov - and I hate leaving dirty dishes over night).

Barbara

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 7:04 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
My housekeeper can't afford to have so many unpaid days off, so I have her work shorter hours on chagim.

That's what we did when we had a babysitter. And if she decided on her own to tidy things up, who am I to complain?

mommyhood

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 7:05 pm
I know lots of people who have cleaning help on shabbos or Yom tov they come to clear the table, wash dishes, help prepare food etc. It's great to be able to use real dishes and have someone else do the cleanup. I also have my babysitter come on Yom Kippur to help. She's not Jewish so getting to me is not a problem and I pay her for the whole week together so specifically paying for work done on shabbos is not a problem either.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 7:26 am
My dh's grandparents were (what would be now) lite MO. Shomer shabbes eat dairy out that type. They had a daily help EXCEPT shabbes.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 8:06 am
I don't have specific help for shabbos or yomtov, although other people hire my cleaner for seuda clearup on those days. But if she can't come on another day, I don't mind her coming on her regular day if it falls on yomtov. I ask her to come when we are in shul, if that is the case.

Otherwise it ends up that she doesn't come for several weeks, if her regular day
is yomtov and we have RH, then sukkos etc. My halachic source says it is ok.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 8:10 am
Ruchel wrote:
My dh's grandparents were (what would be now) lite MO. Shomer shabbes eat dairy out that type. They had a daily help EXCEPT shabbes.

daily helps also like to have a day off in the week. Smile Shabbos or otherwise.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 8:12 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I ready somewhere else today that some people employ their cleaning people on shabbat and chagim.
do you do that? I had never heard of that before.
im in israel so not even a possibility. but I didnt grow up with such a possibility even in my mind ever.

We used to. At first I was very against it, because I didn't want someone in my house on shabbos or Yom tov, but after a few times not having someone and then having someone come, I really saw the difference, not only in my house but in myself. I didn't spend the whole shabbos/Yom tov in the kitchen washing dishes, and after shabbos/Yom tov was over there was virtually no clean up because down one had been there that day. I don't have someone anymore, because I can't afford it. I used to have a cleaning lady three times a week (shabbos included) and now I have once a week for a full day. I actually like it better this way.
I think there are issues with hiring someone SPECIFICALLY for shabbos or Yom tov (I think the issues are more with payment than with the cleaning) but we used to just pay once a week for all three days, so she never got paid just for shabbos.

etky

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 8:29 am
I have to admit that though the idea seemed strange to me before I read all the responses, it does seem to make a lot of sense especially with all the 3 day yomtovs that people have in chutz la'aretz. And it's not like the help is vacuuming while you're sitting down to your seudot, so the yomtov/shabbat atmosphere is still being maintained.

penguin

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 3:11 pm
I may be mistaken, but I think the idea of paying someone only if they also work during the week is when you hire someone Jewish. I don't believe it applies if they're not Jewish, as they have not prohibition of working on Shabbos.

I am curious if anyone has heard this specifically from a Rov.

Fox

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 5:20 pm
This is a *very* complicated situation halachically, and it's almost impossible to avoid problems unless you get very specific advice from a posek experienced in such matters. There are tons of details based on how the person is normally paid; their normal hours; their usual responsibilities, etc. A slight difference in any one of those details can turn the entire situation around.

Better to have someone come in after Shabbos or Yom Tov.

BTW, I happen to have a cleaning lady right now, and I pay her for Yom Tov (when it falls on her regular day), but I give her the day off.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 5:35 pm
penguin wrote:
I may be mistaken, but I think the idea of paying someone only if they also work during the week is when you hire someone Jewish. I don't believe it applies if they're not Jewish, as they have not prohibition of working on Shabbos.

I am curious if anyone has heard this specifically from a Rov.

Having shabbos and Yom tov be included in her working days makes it much easier. We DID get guidance from a rav and we were told to do it as I said- have her come three days a week, and pay her any day EXCEPT shabbos or Yom tov. For a while I even had someone coming every day of Yom tov also, if it didn't coincide with the other three days. Meaning if Yom tov was Tuesday night and Wednesday night, I also would ask her to come Wednesday (and Thursday if that wasn't a regular working day for her.) I always explained BEFORE shabbos or Yom tov what I would need her to do on those days.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics