Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Judi's Nursery...prejudice?
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 2:44 pm
Ha, the tip culture...

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 7:09 pm
I am from an extremely well known and wealthy family in KGH. Everyone knows us and it was assumed I would be sending my children to Judis.
However, I specifically chose not to as I feel they are 'elitists' and did not want my son taught in that way. however, it is a great school

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 8:26 pm
What is judi's last name Question Question Question Question

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:
What is judi's last name Question Question Question Question

Sorry, I don't know the last name and it's not relevant at this point. I'm only interested in her school.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 9:30 pm
OP here

Ok, so Judi's nursery gave me a call and gave me a rejection for both of my sons (not surprised). Last year I also tried to get my son in as well. I understand I'm not the only one that doesn't get in, but I find this so ridiculous! Actually, I'm not too upset that my sons won't be going to this school (I have two other schools for them in mind). It's true what some of you said over here that they think of themselves as the "elites". I was actually not too impressed from this school at the open house. Sorry if anyone's reading that works at Judi's you should really do something about this whole admission process. I had no problem to get in any of the other schools around and this one is like applying for college! And to be honest, it doesn't sound like my kids will be missing much...

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 9:42 pm
Look, I'm Sephardic and went to an Ashkenazi school that was one of the ones that took Sephardim who pay full tuition but label them learning disabled later (actually, at one point, every Sephardic kid in the school was learning disabled). You are not doing your kids any favors by putting them into that kind of school so they can learn that Judaism means in-your-face racism every day of your life. These 'elite' schools exist everywhere, and they can have it.

I plan to homeschool.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 05 2014, 12:52 pm
amother wrote:
Look, I'm Sephardic and went to an Ashkenazi school that was one of the ones that took Sephardim who pay full tuition but label them learning disabled later (actually, at one point, every Sephardic kid in the school was learning disabled). You are not doing your kids any favors by putting them into that kind of school so they can learn that Judaism means in-your-face racism every day of your life. These 'elite' schools exist everywhere, and they can have it.

I plan to homeschool.

OP here

I haven't done much research about homeschooling, but I'm always amazed with those moms that actually have the time to do that! How do moms find the time and know that they're doing the right thing? I'm expecting so I'm not sure how I'd be able to homeschool two toddlers and take care of a baby, but I wonder if moms actually do that. Also, homeschooling would probably save us A LOT of money since my husband is the only one working.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 2:44 pm
Ok, so I'm bumping this thread because I'm really frustrated with this whole jewish preschool system over here. I really feel like I have to make an aliyah just for my kids' jewish education.

I live half a block away from Judi's Nursery and everytime I see parents taking their kids to that school, I wonder why in the world they didn't accept my kids. I look Ashkenazi but my husband is sephardi. I can't stop but wonder if they didn't take them due to the last name that sounds "different". I went to their open houses and noticed EVERYONE was Ashkenazi. So maybe there's like an exception for one..I don't know... but it bothers me...this school is SO close to my house and I can't take my kids there?! I'm now with a newborn so this would be so helpful if I could take them to a school that's close to the house. But no.... after the second year of applying...they keep on saying they're full. I understand that lots of people want to go to Judi's but I applied early to this school (twice in two years) and still in the waiting list!

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 3:02 pm
Op, and to all who says judi's doesnt accept their kids .... why just judys ? What about elem. schools in KGH? Some also dont accept or claim they are full even though I applied at beg. of regis. and got first interview??? This is a BIG PROBLEM with jewish schools nowadays!! they dont want to accept kids and then just want to throw them out even for no valid reason...
I feel like the yeshivas' principals are not really caring about "serving" the children...

morah

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 3:04 pm
I'm really sorry you didn't get in. Fact is, it's hard to get your kid in there. I do happen to know several of the teachers and I think that's what helped me get my kid in. We have a very sefardi last name (actually, you can tell exactly where DH's family is from based on the last name). There are definitely other sefardi kids there, and I even know of two Bukharians (and most Bukharians any way choose to send their kids to Bukharian places). Judi's is definitely a bit elitest, but more in a sense of "we are the best KGH preschool", not in a discriminating way. While there is a definite "ashke-normativity" going on in a lot of schools and in the American frum community in general, I don't see outright discrimination going on in this case.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers