Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Questions about live in help

Chaya4

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 11:24 am
I would like to find out some info about live in help/housekeepers. I have no idea how this works and have lots of questions.

What is generally the going rate per week?
What hours are they expected to be available?
What duties are included?
What do you provide for them?
If live in is jewish what happens at shabbos meals?
Do they generally stay in their room when they are not working/on call? Or hang out in living room?

SingALong

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 5:01 pm
I would like to find out some info about live in help/housekeepers. I have no idea how this works and have lots of questions.

What is generally the going rate per week? $450-$600, depending on language experience, hours, 5/6 day workweek, job ie is childcare or elder care part of job.
What hours are they expected to be available? Work out with agency, between 8-12 hours, depending on what the individual wants to work. I state hours by hiring
What duties are included? Childcare, cleaning, laundry, work it out by interview. If person doesn't want to do childcare she won't take that job
What do you provide for them? A bedroom, bed closet/dresser, linen, meals and snacks-I ask them what they like and keep it stocked in the house.
If live in is jewish what happens at shabbos meals? I've never had a Jewish live in
Do they generally stay in their room when they are not working/on call? Or hang out in living room? After hours or on day off Mine either stays in her room or goes out with friends. When I had a live in with 2 days off she left to her apartment and stayed there. Came back by day she needed to work

spinkles

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 9:37 pm
Years ago, I knew a few extremely wealthy families who had live-ins. Generally the family slept in upstairs bedrooms, while the live-ins had their own bedroom (with bathroom) on the main floor, off the kitchen usually. This was nice for everyone because it gave both the employers and the employees some space from each other. Although the families I knew did not have TV for themselves, they did provide a TV in the live-ins' bedroom so they could relax while not working. When not on duty, the live-ins usually stayed in their bedroom resting/reading/watching TV, or else went shopping or out to visit friends/family.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Dec 07 2014, 10:47 pm
\

What is generally the going rate per week? 450-600
What hours are they expected to be available? you make it clear from the beginning. you can also give them some rest time during the day. If they are helping you care for an infant at night, you will have to take that under consideration and give them some off time during the day.
What duties are included? laundry, cleaning, and/or childrcare
What do you provide for them? I asked what she wanted and provided it. expect some weird ethnic foots.
If live in is jewish what happens at shabbos meals? never had someone Jewish
Do they generally stay in their room when they are not working/on call? Or hang out in living room? my live in stayed in her room and actually volunteered to come help during her off hours... but I live in an area where there's no where to go if you don't have a car

I had a live in a for a few weeks after my baby, since I live far from family and the baby had some very demanding issues. I can't imagine doing it long term in my small apartment, but at the time it was very much worth the loss of privacy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries