Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Medela Harmony- I can't get it to work

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 5:44 pm
I bought a Medela Harmony (manual) breast pump, but I am not getting good suction and my nipple is rubbing against it and I did not manage to get out one drop of milk (although, I did not try for very long). I am guessing that the suction things are the wrong size, but not sure if I need bigger or smaller. Also, should I be able to get out some milk even if it's the wrong size? (I want to make sure that the pump works b4 investing $ into PersonalFit suction thing (can't remember what it's called).

working hard

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 6:40 pm
If it is the wrong size, there is no seal and therefore, there is no suction. I had a similar problem. I ended out buying a sheild and from then on, I loved it.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 8:54 pm
Did you start by using the end of the handle that's specifically for let-down?

allrgymama

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 9:39 pm
If you're nipple is rubbing against the sides of the breastshield then it is too small.

I was sized in the hospital by the lactation consultant who put me up two sizes from what the pump came with (M -> XL). DS is about 5 1/2 months and I just ordered the XXL online. I've been using it for a day now and it does seem to be helping.

As far as not getting any milk out goes: how old is your baby, how long did you try pumping and do you have a good supply?

Personally, when my supply isn't doing so great (or DS goes from 4 hour feedings down to 3, so my body isn't ready), the letdown takes much longer.

miami85

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 10:01 pm
I would double check that you put the gasket--the little white plastic thingy that goes on the part that hands down into the collection bottle it should snap in, without that in you won't get suction.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 12:31 pm
allrgymama wrote:
If you're nipple is rubbing against the sides of the breastshield then it is too small.

I was sized in the hospital by the lactation consultant who put me up two sizes from what the pump came with (M -> XL). DS is about 5 1/2 months and I just ordered the XXL online. I've been using it for a day now and it does seem to be helping.

As far as not getting any milk out goes: how old is your baby, how long did you try pumping and do you have a good supply?

Personally, when my supply isn't doing so great (or DS goes from 4 hour feedings down to 3, so my body isn't ready), the letdown takes much longer.

Thank you everyone! Correction, my nipple goes in nicely and there's a lot of space. The pump sucks in breast tissue. I did not try for more than a few mins. as it hurt a little bit. Does this mean that I need a smaller size or is this how it's supposed to be and I should keep trying.
My baby is 5 mos. B"H have a good supply, but never pumped before.

musicmom

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 12:48 pm
It may take a few minutes until milk comes out. You have to train your body to produce for the pump. Time of day is also a factor, you can pump better in the morning or early afternoon than evening. Your baby has not been exposed to bottle feeding, even if it is breastmilk, it is going to take awhile for your baby to adjust to the bottle,

amother

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 2:24 am
I'm back. I'm trying again. I gave up for awhile, but I really need to leave my baby today and would love to pump a bottle or 2 for her. I tried the let down button for a few mins. but no milk is coming. I do have a very slow let-down reflex (can take a min. or more even when it's the baby).

Any tips? I really need this pump to work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics