Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Exhuming a body to change cemetaries - is it done?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 4:10 am
I know that this is a very strange question, but does anyone know if this is something that is done? My entire family lives in one country and one grandparent is buried in another one.
What is the likelyhood of ever being able to bring the body of that last grandparent left in the other country?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 7:14 am
I have heard of it for alia and dilapidated cemeteries.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 7:31 am
People often rebury bodies in Israel (I know of two personally so I'm sure there are a lot more)

When we left Gush Katif, they moved the bodies that were buried there

amother

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 9:34 am
Would anyone know if it is an expennsive thing to do?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 9:41 am
I grew up in Louisville, Ky and the old Jewish community was in an area that was affected by white flight. My great-great-grandfather had been buried in the old Jewish cemetery in that neighborhood but the cemetery was sold, to be developed as something else, and all of the bodies were exhumed and moved to the new cemetery.

Is it expensive? I would think so. You have to buy a plot in one cemetery and sell the plot where the person is currently buried. Then there are the costs of exhuming and re-burial. I also think that any survivors sit shiva for a day so something like that. Ask a rav about that one but I think there is some sort of aveilus involved.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 9:42 am
southernbubby wrote:
I grew up in Louisville, Ky and the old Jewish community was in an area that was affected by white flight. My great-great-grandfather had been buried in the old Jewish cemetery in that neighborhood but the cemetery was sold, to be developed as something else, and all of the bodies were exhumed and moved to the new cemetery.

Is it expensive? I would think so. You have to buy a plot in one cemetery and sell the plot where the person is currently buried. Then there are the costs of exhuming and re-burial. I also think that any survivors sit shiva for a day so something like that. Ask a rav about that one but I think there is some sort of aveilus involved.
Sad this just makes me so sad because my entire family is in one country and this lone grandfather is not. But lots of money we do not have, so I guess we wait for moshiach to bring us all to Israel Sad

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
Sad this just makes me so sad because my entire family is in one country and this lone grandfather is not. But lots of money we do not have, so I guess we wait for moshiach to bring us all to Israel Sad

You can try crowdfunding to try to raise money. Remember also that the body has to be flown which generates even more expense. First try calling a chevra kadisha and ask what your options are.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 10:16 am
southernbubby wrote:
You can try crowdfunding to try to raise money. Remember also that the body has to be flown which generates even more expense. First try calling a chevra kadisha and ask what your options are.
In which coutry to call the chevra kadisha?
Also, I am not one of those people who are able to crowd fund. Its just not me. I would feel weird having others paying for something we want to do.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
In which coutry to call the chevra kadisha?
Also, I am not one of those people who are able to crowd fund. Its just not me. I would feel weird having others paying for something we want to do.

Not sure, try one and if they don't have the answer, then try the other. Maybe they would agree to finance something.

rubidium3785

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 12:36 pm
Yes, but it's not easy. We moved my mom to Israel from America but there were a lot of laws involved, both Jewish and legal.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 12:50 pm
It's not easy and not so recommended if the grave isn't endangered. That's why you still have cemeteries in very odd locations. But for various reasos, yes it exists

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 1:03 pm
I was told concerning my Moms grave (my aunt and sister wanted to have it moved) that unless fits being moved to EY or the cemetery is endanger/being dug up, it isnt done. I dont remember who told me.

That said- and I am going to be a bit blunt here so please don't read on if you will be hurt - we need to be honest with ourselves. We put the coffin in the ground for a reason. We cover it with dirt because we want nature to take it's course. After a time....what really would we be moving? Our loved one is gone.

If you want a way to be able to feel the person is included when you visit your local cemetery, perhaps fond out if you can put a second, small headstone on the site of one of the other relatives.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette