Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
What is the secret to getting your house to smell

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 7:43 pm
Really fresh? I have a cleaning lady clean my house thoroughly a few times a week and it still doesn't do the trick. I'm also a little obsessive about taking out the garbage but that doesn't help either

spring13

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 8:19 pm
What kind of smell are you detecting? Is it an actual stench or the lack of a specifically pleasant odor?

You could try deep-cleaning your carpets or air ducts or upholstery. Check for mold or mildew if you think that could be the problem. Open a few windows when you can. Try reed diffusers or other gentle but constant air freshening techniques.

But for the record, while I've smelled some stinky homes, I've never been in one where I thought "wow, this place smells delightful" when it wasn't because of something yummy being cooked. If you want to live somewhere that smells like a forest glade or the lavender fields of Provence, then you should probably move to a forest glade or Provence.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 8:36 pm
Yes. True.

OP, it's the fabrics.

Open the front hall closet for an hour as often as practical.

Fans and open windows are good.

Some people put baking soda down their drains sometimes.

You might have a professional mold inspection.

You might have someone determine if you have pests or wildlife living in nooks or walls.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 9:02 pm
bake cookies

busydev

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 9:19 pm
spray febreeze every hour around the house.

4everonadiet

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 9:34 pm
Open your windows as often as you can.

mommy34

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 9:41 pm
Use glade plug ins, they are great.

ray family

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 11:18 pm
spring13 wrote:
What kind of smell are you detecting? Is it an actual stench or the lack of a specifically pleasant odor?

You could try deep-cleaning your carpets or air ducts or upholstery. Check for mold or mildew if you think that could be the problem. Open a few windows when you can. Try reed diffusers or other gentle but constant air freshening techniques.

But for the record, while I've smelled some stinky homes, I've never been in one where I thought "wow, this place smells delightful" when it wasn't because of something yummy being cooked. If you want to live somewhere that smells like a forest glade or the lavender fields of Provence, then you should probably move to a forest glade or Provence.

how do I clean the ducts? my windows are open every day..

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 11:23 pm
I guess the key would be to figure out what is making your home smell unpleasant.

I diffuse essential oils for health and relaxation and they make the whole apartment smell great! There are some that are especially intended to freshen the air. And no chemical overtones or toxicity concerns.

spring13

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:38 pm
ray family wrote:
how do I clean the ducts? my windows are open every day..

You need a professional to do it.
http://nadca.com/en/why-clean-air-ducts

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:53 am
I have two little chihuahuas that were rescued from a puppy mill. They never learned to do their business outside, so I use "piddle pads" for them to go on. Sometimes they miss, and it soaks into my unsealed wood floors.

This product http://www.ezmedshop.com/dephy......html is the ONLY thing that will actually neutralize the odor, keep it from coming back, and does not mask the smell with harsh chemical scents.

It is safe enough to brush your teeth with, and yet it is strong enough to kiil AIDS, Hep C, and Ebola!

It's the only house cleaner I use. It also kills black mold completely, and if you spray regularly it won't come back.

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 8:51 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have two little chihuahuas that were rescued from a puppy mill. They never learned to do their business outside, so I use "piddle pads" for them to go on. Sometimes they miss, and it soaks into my unsealed wood floors.

This product http://www.ezmedshop.com/dephy......html is the ONLY thing that will actually neutralize the odor, keep it from coming back, and does not mask the smell with harsh chemical scents.

It is safe enough to brush your teeth with, and yet it is strong enough to kiil AIDS, Hep C, and Ebola!

It's the only house cleaner I use. It also kills black mold completely, and if you spray regularly it won't come back.

FF, do you know if that is available in Israel?! And if not, can you bring me a lifetime's supply whenever you're next here? Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry