Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to get baby to eat

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 1:36 pm
Doctor said I should start feeding solids to my baby. I started about a week ago, but every time I try he spits it out/coughs it out/ blows raspberries/ just doesn't swallow. How can I get him to eat????

5*Mom

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 1:38 pm
How old is your baby?

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 1:41 pm
How old is your baby? Why did your Dr. say he needed to start solids? It sounds like he isn't ready yet.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 1:45 pm
6 months.
He looks like he wants to eat. He gets excited when he sees his food, and he tries to grab my food off my plate

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 1:50 pm
Does he have teeth? How many? Why did the dr. say he needs solids now? The popular guidance I've gotten/read is that babies don't need solids till closer to 12 months, as long as they are getting enough breast milk or formula.

My baby also seemed interested in food at 6 months, and I started offering it (she had 3 or 4 teeth at this point), but she wasn't interested in actually eating it. Occasionally she'd eat a bite or two, but mostly she spit it out, gagged or otherwise wasn't interested. It wasn't till she was 9 months and could pick up small pieces of food (and had a few more teeth) that she began really eating solids, and then she suddenly had an appetite for everything. Till then, there wasn't anything I could do to get her to eat.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 1:53 pm
Put different sizes am textiles on his tray one at a time. Give him what you're eating. The worst that will happen is it will come out in the diaper. He had to get used to it, he had to learn to move his mouth differently. I like giving ricecakes. Also peeled cut pears, sweet, soft and no cooking.
Anything from the soup our Cholent. Don't spoon feed to much, not all babies like it.
My baby loves red pepper, I give him a long strip.
Try a cucumber stick.

morah

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 2:03 pm
The general recommendation is to START at 6 months. The baby can't be expected o wolf it down right off the bat. He's never had food in this form, how's he supposed to know what to do with it? It takes weeks, sometimes even months, for the baby to really start eating nutritionally significant amounts of food. Keep offering. If he's not interested, try again tomorrow. Help him out a little. Give him some very soft chunks of food that he can mush in his mouth. He'll get the hang of it soon enough.

SingALong

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 2:25 pm
In general I found it took my baby's about a month to learn how to eat solids. From the first time I introduced food until they were actually opening the mouth when I put a spoon of food in, and swallowing without gagging. I start at about 6 months, or a bit earlier if my baby is watching and grabbing my food.
I look at the first month as just the learning process. It's not about getting nutrition into them, they're nursing/bottles anyways
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics