Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to remove a urine smell from a mattress?

rachelle613

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 3:30 pm
Please help!! We bought second hand beds with foam mattresses (cheap, thin kind for kids) and I didn't notice it at first, but they really smell. I turned over the mattresses and they REEK of urine Sad

We really can't afford new ones right now, so what are my options? I smell it every time I walk into my kids room!!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 3:33 pm
Buy a plastic mattress cover.

mfb

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 3:38 pm
Someone once told me to clean fresh urine with ammonia, not sure if it will still work now

Nomad

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 3:41 pm
In pet stores they sell sprays that help remove urine smell. We've used those for other things and it worked for us. Also if you live in a area that has sunshine now it may help to put it out in the sun for a few days.

water_bear88

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 3:52 pm
Baking soda and vinegar should help- sprinkle baking soda over the surface, then spray with vinegar. Let it sit a few minutes and then clean off the mess. You can repeat if necessary.

bamba

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 4:13 pm
after cleaning it either with baking soda maybe spray some febreze spray on it- fabric refreshener. Just gives it a refreshed smell!

sky

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:51 pm
sprinkle with vinegar and lots of baking soda. Let sit. then vacum.
Repeat over and over.
You will be left with a vinegar smell but that dissipates.
Once done you can also buy a mattress cover with a zipper to try to "seal" in any remaining smell. Before closing the zipper sprinkle the mattress with additional baking soda.

they say to let it sit in direct sunlight also. but I'm not sure how possible that it is this time of year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry