Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Crockpot cooking - not chicken or soups

2gether

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 11:04 am
I'm thinking of buying a crockpot. But I need to know if there's anything else to make with it other then chicken, meat and soups. Because we don't eat meat daily (and when we do, we like shnitzel Smile ) and I don't need one just for soups...
any ideas ?

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 11:06 am
I make lots of dairy and pareve recipes but they tend to cook much faster. Are you out of the house all day?

mille

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 11:11 am
I use only dried beans (and we eat a lot of beans! cheap yummy protein!), and I make them in the crockpot. They come out a lot better than canned beans, and they are cheaper. I soak overnight, then eyeball some amount of water that is more than the amount of beans, add seasonings and cook on high.

I also make applesauce in the crockpot, and vegetable stock. With the veg stock, I save all the scraps from vegetables into plastic bags in the freezer. When one gets full, I dump it in the parve crockpot and add water and let it go for however long. I then strain it out into a tupperware. Since it's so easy and kind of "no cost" since it's scraps, I use it in everything. I'll make rice with stock instead of water, for example.

I also do pareve chili that I can then later add in cheese and sour cream. You can make a ton of different kinds of chili, so I don't have a particular recipe. Sometimes I add a ton of veggies (over the summer, we added fresh corn and zucchini since it was so good and fresh!), sometimes I just keep it very bean-y.

I have two crockpots, one pareve and one meat. I was way too limited with just meat, so I got a second one.

2gether

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 11:38 am
mha3484 wrote:
I make lots of dairy and pareve recipes but they tend to cook much faster. Are you out of the house all day?

that's fine by me, any ideas?

2gether

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 11:42 am
mille wrote:

I also do pareve chili that I can then later add in cheese and sour cream. You can make a ton of different kinds of chili, so I don't have a particular recipe. Sometimes I add a ton of veggies (over the summer, we added fresh corn and zucchini since it was so good and fresh!), sometimes I just keep it very bean-y.

can I have your method ? even if you don't have a recipe.

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 12:47 pm
I use crockpot 365's vegetarian section. I also google and make up random things. Anything you make in an oven can be made in the crockpot.

I have made baked ziti, risotto, curry, chili, bean based stews, soups with milk and cheese, stuffed peppers, no noodle lasagna. I do this mainly when I am home but need to be busy with other things around dinner time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals