Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Looking for dates (the kind you eat)

doublemama

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 12:49 pm
A few days I had the opportunity to eat the most wonderful dates ever at a function I went to. They weren't like the usual dates you find where in the states (the ones that look like papery roaches). These dates were big and looked like giant raisins and the taste was like Carmel or butterscotch... Very sweet. I tried to contact the people who threw the function but they don't know what I am talking about. I tried looking them up online but I can't match the looks with the taste.

Are there any date savvy imamothers out there who could help?

tigerwife

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:26 pm
Sounds like Dole California Whole Pitted Dates.

They come in a blueish- white resealable plastic packet. I started eating them for health reasons but they are pretty good. The hechsher is OU.

doublemama

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:29 pm
Aren't those the ones with the kind of papery outside and look a little like (gulp) roaches? I am not sure. I will look next time I go to the store, thanks!

tigerwife

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:34 pm
Lol, they don't look particularly pretty, but they are sticky and kind of caramelized, not papery. You may need to watch for pits that escaped the pitting process, though.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:41 pm
I got these from Costco http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....CE35R (I can't find it on their website) for almost a third of the amazon cost...but do they resemble what you are looking for at all?

doublemama

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:45 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I got these from Costco http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....CE35R (I can't find it on their website) for almost a third of the amazon cost...but do they resemble what you are looking for at all?

I didn't see the package because my husband brought them to me. They look just like giant raisins, all wrinkly. I know they were from Saudi Arabia...I wish I would have been able to see more details!

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:51 pm
Maybe google medjool dates. They are large and sweet, not papery, but not really raisin looking. I'm pretty sure they come from somewhere in the Middle East.

egam

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:56 pm
Look for jumbo or fancy medjool dates. I think they fit your description. I got mine from Costco and they were from Israel. So now you have to be careful about shmita. Last time they had heter mechira on them during shmita year.
They are also not pitted.

doublemama

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:59 pm
Oh those are it! Medjool dates! Thank you so much!

mandksima

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 4:49 pm
I go through a LOT of dates. I just bought 4 kilo today on a good sale. I wait for the good ones and sadly enough they are not only medjool dates but organic medjool dates. They are far superior and are not papery and hard but soft and caramely. I have regular ones left over that I wil make date paste out of but the organic ones are great for eating.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking